Disable automatic end of game

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

pmiller322

Disable automatic end of game

Post by pmiller322 »

Is there a way to disable the automatic end of game based on victory points? While the victory condition may have been met and it is impossible for the other side to recover, there are times when I am interested in continuing for a number of reasons.

On the face of it, I see no reason for the game to end just because of the number of victory points. Give a splash screen like now then allow the game to continue. Even the orginal DOS game allowed the game to continue. Or, is it possible to edit an existing campaign to increase the number of victory points needed so the automatic EOG does not trigger due to VPs?

As a side note, this is a common game design issue for me. WbtS is another example. Why force the end of the game? Allow the player to decide. If strange things happen because of the heavy losses of resources, etc by one side so what?

This also appies to historcal end dates. Again, let the gamer decide when to end the game. No need for additional programing, just give a splash screen that the historical end of the game has been reached and allow continue play.

Thanks!

I Love the game BTW. I think I have played every game Grigsby has done back to Atari and Commadore days
pmiller322

RE: Disable automatic end of game

Post by pmiller322 »

So is disabling the auto end of game for the Axis in the campaign at 290 points not modifiable? I did look through the editor but did not see any way to make such a change. Did I just over look it or is it hard coded and not changeable??

I did trying changing the scenario type from campaign to short scenario but the in game victory point screen still shows auto victory for axis at 290.

Thanks for any info so I can either change things or just accept it the way it is. :-)
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Hi I am a relatively new player so the experts may have a better answer for you, but I'll tell you what I did.  It worked well for me.

Basically in the editor 50 turns is the dividing line between a short scenario (e.g. Road to City X) and a campaign scenario.  Any scenario longer than 50 turns automatically gets campaign victory conditions even if you try to write in other criteria.

However, you can take your saved game from the campaign, one or two turns before victory (let's say you have 289 points) and then copy this file into the scenario folder.  At that point you can go to the editor and change your "scenario" to a short game of up to 50 more turns.  You can add victory cities if you want, or just ignore the victory conditions.  The point is you can continue your campaign save under another label without triggering the automatic victory you would have had under the campaign.  You can play on to victory any way you want to define it.  I was able in this way to play out a '41 campaign up to the complete destruction of all Russian forces with the final battle in Sverdlovsk sometime in early February '43.  It was pretty cool to run rail repair all the way into the Urals!

It is true if you follow this method that the cumulative loss statistics are trashed in the conversion.  This might have some subtle, bad effects in game play but I did not notice anything unusual.  As far as I could tell, the game played on completely normally with the exception of avoiding the automatic end of game at 290 points.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Update and correction:  checking further I see there is one significant problem that I didn't notice before.  When I converted my save game to a short scenario, the reinforcements stayed but all the withdrawals were erased.  I assume it is possible to edit this to fix it; I don't know how much of a hassle that would be.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

The Withdrawal/Arrival list seems to be reverted to the version the game started with, not the adjusted in-game version. Don't know if this is intended or not.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
pmiller322

Post by pmiller322 »

Thanks for the tips. At least I can continue playing. Hopefully its not too much work to remove the auto end of game and the developers can drop it into a future patch if there is one. It just seems like a poor game design choice to force an end of game instead of allowing the player the option to continue.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”