What did you do today in World in Flames?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dorb

What did you do today in World in Flames?

Post by Dorb »

Just wondering what folks are doing and how they are tackling the mother of all games.

Myself, taking my time and digging in real slow on this one. - Still watching the tutorial videos. One per day couple times each. On chapter 6 today.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
shaddock

RE: What did you do today in World in Flames?

Post by shaddock »

Playing a few turns of Barbarossa, then clipping counters while watching the tutorial videos.
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Playing Global War as per my AAR - and having lots of fun doing it[:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Irish Guards

Post by Irish Guards »

Well ..... [X(]
Downloaded and installed ... [&o]
Set up Global War ... [:)]
Got to 1st turn of Poland ... [&o]

Didn't save the set ups .. just wanted to see it .... !!!
I will be starting a game .. and without going into depth .. will be playing 85% of all the optional rules ...
I will give them all in an email if someone likes ...
No internment though .. !!!

so basically to see Global war start ... what would you do w Poland ... !!!
send me an email ... I will send the optional's Ire am playing ....[:D]
what kind of Polish defense ... !!!

Net Play .... PBEM ... are much needed .. !!!

IDG
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

ORIGINAL: Irish Guards

Well ..... [X(]
Downloaded and installed ... [&o]
Set up Global War ... [:)]
Got to 1st turn of Poland ... [&o]

Didn't save the set ups .. just wanted to see it .... !!!
I will be starting a game .. and without going into depth .. will be playing 85% of all the optional rules ...
I will give them all in an email if someone likes ...
No internment though .. !!!

so basically to see Global war start ... what would you do w Poland ... !!!
send me an email ... I will send the optional's Ire am playing ....[:D]
what kind of Polish defense ... !!!

Net Play .... PBEM ... are much needed .. !!!

IDG

Dang, I take it you already have the board version and know how to play.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
sth1119

Post by sth1119 »

START:

Read some AARs

Watched first five tutorials.

Started Barbarossa and went through a turn to see the sequence of play.

Now back to videos and PDFs .

Goto START
Snydly

Post by Snydly »

I spent 6 hours setting up the Darkness before the Dawn Scenario. Unfortunately I made many mistakes in setting up during the scraping phase and thus I have 3 navies without full CV's due to over scraping Cat 1 planes LOL. [:D]

I also have stuff all over the place and not really organized well for an Invasion of Italy/Europe ... I did manage to get the Marshall Island Task force set in Honolulu reasonably well.

I think I will be spending another 4 hours redoing my setup in this solitaire game. [:@]

I learned a lot, especially with handling the navy. Setting up the board game is much easier as you can have mulligans in the setup and your friends will let it pass. Not so much with a computer.
Looking forward to playing my favorite board game WIF on the computer.
Irish Guards

Post by Irish Guards »

The AAR's are amazing in themselves ... [&o]
IG
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

Completed March/April 1940.

Germans lined up on the French border having crushed Holland and Belgium over the winter ready to steamroll the French.

Italians stuggling to stave of aggressive British.

Japan crushing Communist Chinese only to have them spring back up like weeds. Now trying to swing troops into the south of China to grab the easy to reach resources there while simultaneously building the carrier fleet and invasion forces for the big invasion.

Discovered that I never put a CP in the Caspian Sea during Russian setup, thus leaving no good supply line for the troops I was placing to attack Persia. War called off, troops being sent back to the Polish border.

English troops sweeping across Libya and trying to get into position to invade Sardinia, but the weather keeps getting in the way. Oh yeah, and a few troops with Gort helping the Frogs stay in the war as long as possible.

Tons of fun!

So much quicker to play than the board game was. Naval combat flies by, easy to calculate odds and figure out results.
DQ2004

Post by DQ2004 »

I played through the first 5 turns of Barbarossa (solitaire) on day one of downloading.
The Russians won that fairly convincingly, Jul/Aug just didn't last long enough for the Germans, and the weather went very lousy after that, so it was over.

Started Global War since then.
Invaded Hungary in Sep/Oct and then denied Transvylvania & South Dobruja - Mistake #1 forgot to declare war on Bulgaria immediately thereafter, and it was quickly aligned by the USSR. Although that cost a US entry chit. Buoyed, the Soviets then went for Finland, and failed to do much, forgetting they're on a deadline, and with no gains Germany enforced peace and aligned Finland. Mistake #2.
Weather was godawful in Mar/Apr 40 and invasion of Norway went very pear-shaped, lost the 9 factor INF to a bad roll. NEVER invade if the weather is anything but shiney. Mistake #3.
Decided to not take any more chances and threw an offensive chit at Rundstedt in May/Jun, destroying the French ARM that only just arrived and mauling the line. The next German impulse bust into France and they are praying for a miracle to keep them alive til September (looks unlikely but you never know).
In China Japan has taken Chang-sha and destroyed quite a few chinese units, but only taken one resources so far. They have also had fairly heavy losses.
Ships sunk:
Renown & Nils Juel. Renown in May/Jun after the German surface fleet surprised the British in the North Sea during a storm. A few other ships damaged. Other noteable things, the Royal Navy keeps getting carrier aircraft shot down. Ugly. There are currently two carriers without planes in Liverpool.
Italy is still neutral.
"Look at you - you have HORSES! What were you thinking?!?" - Paratrooper David Webster
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Spent it looking for an AAR on the Guadacanal scenario. I think I'm as bit like Napoleon... happy with air/land warfare but a bit timid out at sea.
/Greyshaft
Snydly

Post by Snydly »

Started the setup again and completed it in 4 hours this time. Got all the right bits where they needed to be ... let the fun begin. [:D]
Looking forward to playing my favorite board game WIF on the computer.
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Jumped straight into Barbarossa, up to turn 3.
I have only really scanned the manual or glanced at a vid, but am finding it surprisingly intuitive.
I have no idea what all the nuances are but really enjoying the solitaire play far more than I thought I would.
Big difference for me as the map scale. I'm so used to units streaming across the map, (ATG, TOAW, TOF, CEAW), whereas here a 3 or 4 hex run seems rare.
(Reminds me a little of Anglo-German War).
Have left Naval alone for the most part, and returning planes all over the shop.
But.
Enjoying it immensely.
Other games have all become rather 2nd fiddle.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

playing Barbarossa and just trying to get the land/air part down pat before I move on to Guad.

PS..any of you WIF oldtimers out there won Barbarossa with the Whermacht?
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

lecrop

Post by lecrop »

Reading aars
Soloing Barbarossa (#1turn #3impulse yet)
Netplaying Barbarossa (a little bit of monothematic here)
Reading RaC a lot, at work, at home, at bed (sex self-banned until become a wif master )
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

Im on my second try at Barbarossa. First wss a failure, but the Whermacht is kicking the ruskies butt in my second go. Secret, don't try for Leningrad, it consumes too much time armies, and disperse your forces too much. I have taken Smolensk and Moscow (and all victory cities close to moscow, and am one hex away from taking kiev in the south. I now have the ruskies trapped between really strong forces bearing down from Moscow in a broad front north of kiev, and substantial forces coming up from just south of kiev, again in a broad front. Im taking them all out piecemeal, two or three armies an impulse, as there are so many holes in the lines now. Turn two just ended.

To do the above, I performed a faint in the south putting most of my armour south of the prippet marshes, the Russians stacked the line in response with their best forces. I then ground struck them and whipped my armour around the prippet marshes and kept driving north. the Russian stayed too long in a holding action as my forces kept driving towards Smolensk. They waited a couple of impulses too long before they tried to race north to counter. When they did, they broke the line allowing me to advance towards kiev. They are in a German sandwich now, no hope for them (me). Basically I played the Russians a bit weak and the germs strong. It has been fun.

ORIGINAL: captskillet

playing Barbarossa and just trying to get the land/air part down pat before I move on to Guad.

PS..any of you WIF oldtimers out there won Barbarossa with the Whermacht?
jomni

Post by jomni »

Tonight I was ready to pull the trigger (buying the game). Then chickened out.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I'll be waiting for my books to arrive before diving too deep.  WiF is definitely not something you casually plunge into.  I've never played the board game, though I had been interested in it for some time.

I'm a long time WITP-AE player, being with the system back to the Uncommon Valor days.  While huge, the basic concepts arent a whole lot different that UV.

This is something else entirely, so I'm treading softly.

Ed-
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Tonight I was ready to pull the trigger (buying the game). Then chickened out.

:-) I was too and bit the bullet last night. Watched a few Vid Tut's so far and me thinks many weeks before plunging in to an actual game.
Omnius

Finished Barbarossa

Post by Omnius »

I went through all of the tutorials Thursday through Sunday then started Barbarossa. The tutorials definitely helped get me familiarized with how MWiF operates and how to do the various forms.

I played Barbarossa from Sunday through Tuesday morning with a convincing German win. Had some good weather die rolls so had a mild winter. Definitely made a lot of mistakes but that's what these early learning games are for.

Now to do Guadalcanal to learn the ropes for naval movement and combat. Then on to a big scenario, probably Global War although Missed the Bus looks like an interesting starting point not covered in most WW2 games.

Omnius

Return to “World in Flames”