First look at Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon!

Games Workshop’s “Battle for Armageddon” setting in a series of amazing multiplatform, turn-based, hex-based games. Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon will make full use of Slitherine's expertise in creating compelling and challenging strategy gaming experiences. The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines®from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork Waaagh! invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.
Lord Zimoa

First look at Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon!

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Games Workshop Games Day event just started. First looks at Warhammer 40k Armageddon!

Attachments
BVUbt4gIAAAHuxC.jpg
BVUbt4gIAAAHuxC.jpg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 631 times
wodin

RE: First look at Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon!

Post by wodin »

Looks like a WH40K version of Panzer Corps..oh well..something that was denied totally turns out to be correct. Still think the next BA engine would have be far more suited to a tactical WH40K battle.
GJK

Post by GJK »

Is this one going to be turn-based or another RTS? I'd be interested if it were turn-based and used the same ruleset that the tabletop game uses.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

We never denied or confirmed anything, we clearly stated that we would use the PzC engine that has been in development for 5 years or more as a base, as it is a hexbased turnbased strategy game, you don`t throw away such a stable and versatile engine.

In the first place it is game based on the deep, rich and wonderful WH 40K lore, that on itself makes it such a cool project to work on.

But under the hood we have many new features and updates, bigger maps, more zoom levels, a story and character driven campaign, more tiles, more tiled layers, more and multi-unit animations and SFX, units are now posed and move in six directions, multiple sound tracks, better and more detailed graphics, new combat rules, improved AI, cross-platform development, better memory footprints, next gen of server-based PBEM etc... it is a big evolution. It is in all ways a new game. Sure there are similarities, but it is a huge project and fun game.

So keep on proclaiming that it is "just a WH 40K version of the current PzC series", but we who know the facts and build the actual game don`t agree.
sshnuke

Post by sshnuke »

Can we see the alpha gameplay footage next week?
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Considering the licence for this "universe' is from GW, I never held onto any belief/hope the tactical system would ever be similar to their flagship tabletop game, so I for one am not disappointed. (although a sci fi Steel Panthers in Space would be awsome!)

That being said, LZ, can you give a hint what "scale" the units are represented at?
So the original PG was abstractly maybe a division or corp(considering the size of some of the scenario maps), PG II was stated to be battalion/regimental w 1KM hexes, Panzer Corp to some degree reverted back to division level ( although the DLC's appear to have "zoomed" into the regimental...)

Any clues?

I have always thought the Warhammer universe was better suited to a massive scale considering your fighting conflicts of an empire of a billion planets and 100 billion men under arms... Always seemed odd you were defending the Universe with a half platoon of infantry, a heavy weapons squad, and a single General Lee tank ( oops, Leman Russ haha)
Clearly I personally would like to see units at a higher level but, if the game is as moddable as Panzer Corp, no issues.
Cheers!
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Looks like a WH40K version of Panzer Corps..oh well..something that was denied totally turns out to be correct. Still think the next BA engine would have be far more suited to a tactical WH40K battle.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only ... Panzer Corps!
Richard
Velihopea

Post by Velihopea »

It was "Rites of War 2" then :)

PzC + WH40K = instant buy for me.

Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Well, I do remind Rites of War. It was good. So I think the game can be good and I will give it a try.

BUT, and it is really a great but, what I am expecting is a Bettlefiled Academy : WH40K. The engine, scale and system will be perfect for a 5mm version of WH40K transposition. This could just be awsome. I hope that slitherine will do this expansion for battlefield one day.

Ok, this can be more than Panzer corps, but it won't be the tactical WH40K game that most of us are waiting for.

Anyway the real point for any WH40K game is : an editor and enough race for anyone to create and play the battle they like (we will have human and orks ok! but we defenitly need chaos, eldar and tyranid in the 1st game editor).

Best regards

Skanvak
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

I think that a 'Panzer Corps' based engine really suits The Battle For Armageddon setting, but for smaller battles a 'Battle Academy' based WH40K would be just fantastic. [&o]
Richard
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

There was a computer game "final liberation" that was describing a campaigne between human and orks. It was an adatption of the 5mm rules of the time and it was perfect at the time. They used a strategic map and tactical battle with a scale equal to battlefield academy but may be with more unit on the map.

Best regards

Skanvak
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

From that photo it does indeed look like just a mod of Panzer Corps, which to be honest, is a little bit dissapointing. Hopefully it will turn out to be more than just that.

Will keep a sharp eye out on this and keep my hopes up.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

We never denied or confirmed anything, we clearly stated that we would use the PzC engine that has been in development for 5 years or more as a base, as it is a hexbased turnbased strategy game, you don`t throw away such a stable and versatile engine.

In the first place it is game based on the deep, rich and wonderful WH 40K lore, that on itself makes it such a cool project to work on.

But under the hood we have many new features and updates, bigger maps, more zoom levels, a story and character driven campaign, more tiles, more tiled layers, more and multi-unit animations and SFX, units are now posed and move in six directions, multiple sound tracks, better and more detailed graphics, new combat rules, improved AI, cross-platform development, better memory footprints, next gen of server-based PBEM etc... it is a big evolution. It is in all ways a new game. Sure there are similarities, but it is a huge project and fun game.

So keep on proclaiming that it is "just a WH 40K version of the current PzC series", but we who know the facts and build the actual game don`t agree.
Too bad we won't see any attempt of simulation of Wh40k combat as presented in novels, fluff or at least Epic40k rules.
I'm certainly not interested in playing a WH40k-themed Panzer Corps any more than in playing Wh40k-themed chess.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

There was a computer game "final liberation" that was describing a campaigne between human and orks. It was an adatption of the 5mm rules of the time and it was perfect at the time. They used a strategic map and tactical battle with a scale equal to battlefield academy but may be with more unit on the map.

Final Liberation was AWESOME!!!! I played that one a lot; until the cd went belly up...

I am really looking forward to this game and the picture merely whets the appetite more :)
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Never really cared much for the Orks as 40K enemies, but I'll probably get this. We need good 40K computer games.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Jorm

Post by Jorm »

oh well
a shame i was looking forward to this game, if its a PzG clone , which i equate to marble flicking plastic soldiers as a kid, then a NO go for me :-(. lets hope its more than that eh :-)
vadersson

Post by vadersson »

Well that is a bit of a bummer. I was also hoping for a more Final Liberation style game. While Panzer Corp is a good game, I am not sure I see it as a good base for 40K. I will however, reserve final judgement until I see that final game.

Thanks,
Duncan
Carrier Rifle Section should be modeled with their Bren guns!
Blackheart223

Post by Blackheart223 »

Looks great! I loved Final liberation and Rites of War, can't wait to play this one. I hope it is the start of a line of games, or a least some expansions with different races.
Zulgaines

Post by Zulgaines »

There are no words to describe how happy I am that this is being made.

Thank you.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”