Patrol of colony

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rabble

Patrol of colony

Post by Rabble »

Hello,
is any option to stand still near colony and defend it?
my fleet patrol selected colony and always fly to kill pirates in system with colony - in that moment other pirates fly to colony and attack it.

is there option stand still and attack only near colony?
iam a newbie in 4x
Canute0

RE: Patrol of colony

Post by Canute0 »

Order the ship/fleet to move to the planet. After the ship did this it stay at the orbit and follow the planet.

Set the Fleet / Ship to Target / nearby targets.

But after they did a defence job, you need to order them again to move to the planet.

You can order them to Patrol the planet, they fly around the planet and burn fuel at this job, until they need to refuel.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

As of 1.9.0.9 fleets should now stay at a planet or colony if you set it as the home base for the fleet. They will defend within the engagement stance you set (nearby, system, etc), but will return to the planet when done.

Thanks
Elliot
flight2q

Post by flight2q »

I'd like to be able to set any place as the home base. Not in the dropdown box of fleet menu, but if I'm willing to click on it on the galaxy map. Especially useful when playing as pirate.
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

You can set most things as home, you just have to click on the "select home" button in the bottom left when the fleet is selected. You can set any base you own as home using this method.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

ORIGINAL: elliotg

As of 1.9.0.9 fleets should now stay at a planet or colony if you set it as the home base for the fleet. They will defend within the engagement stance you set (nearby, system, etc), but will return to the planet when done.

Thanks
Elliot

Thanks Elliot!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Thanks
Elliot

One of the problems with this is fleets use fuel and do not seem to refuel themsleves, even it there is a refueling source in the system. I have my fleets set to manual, will they refuel if I set them to auto and what will happen to the orders I have given them to patrol?

Will it work if I set them to move to a sun and setting system targets? Being stationary the Energy Collectors can be used to maintain fuel but I do not think they will return to the sun afterwards as I have not set up a patrol order.
flight2q

Post by flight2q »

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

You can set most things as home, you just have to click on the "select home" button in the bottom left when the fleet is selected. You can set any base you own as home using this method.
Thanks. I forgot! [well, that still only adds my own refueling points, so I still want to be able to set any place!]
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Thanks
Elliot
One of the problems with this is fleets use fuel and do not seem to refuel themsleves, even it there is a refueling source in the system. I have my fleets set to manual, will they refuel if I set them to auto and what will happen to the orders I have given them to patrol?

Will it work if I set them to move to a sun and setting system targets? Being stationary the Energy Collectors can be used to maintain fuel but I do not think they will return to the sun afterwards as I have not set up a patrol order.
Fleets will auto-refuel themselves, especially when there is a fuel source in the same system. However they will not then resume their previous missions like individual ships do.

You might find that it's better not to have fleets set to a patrol mission though. Instead just set their home base in the system (e.g. a colony or base) and they should now stay near the base while keeping the system safe (assuming engagement stance is Engage system threats and fleet posture is Defend System). They will also auto-refuel as needed.

And as mentioned above, as of 1.9.0.9 fleets will now always automatically return to base when idle.

Thanks
Elliot
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Thanks
Elliot

Fleets will auto-refuel themselves, especially when there is a fuel source in the same system. However they will not then resume their previous missions like individual ships do.

You might find that it's better not to have fleets set to a patrol mission though. Instead just set their home base in the system (e.g. a colony or base) and they should now stay near the base while keeping the system safe (assuming engagement stance is Engage system threats and fleet posture is Defend System). They will also auto-refuel as needed.

And as mentioned above, as of 1.9.0.9 fleets will now always automatically return to base when idle.

Thanks
Elliot

Thanks for the clarification

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”