.png shifting?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

AstroCat

.png shifting?

Post by AstroCat »

I'm trying to edit the file light.png using either Fireworks or Photoshop. When I save the file and look at the graphic in game it's shifted off to the side of where it is supposed to be placed. Why is this happening. I can just open the file, not touch anything and re-save it and this happens.

Is there some trick to saving these .png files?

Thanks for the help.

update: Bah, I figured it out! [8|]
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Mansen

RE: .png shifting?

Post by Mansen »

Feel free to share your discoveries. [:'(]
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
AstroCat

RE: .png shifting?

Post by AstroCat »

Oh sorry, yeah I was trying to save make my own light.png and was having the hardest time saving it correctly for the game. I ended up doing the editing in Photoshop and ever time I'd save the file the lights would appear in game shifted off to the side of the ships, very strange. Well after a lot of messing around I found if I "save for web" as PNG-24 with Transparency I get consistently good results. When I tried just saving, which is probably PNG-32 it would appear shifted. As well I ran into transparency issues using a variety of PNG-8 settings. So, in the end PNG-24 seems to be the most solid so far.

Does anyone else have any tips for file formats in DW?

Oh and I added the 2 light versions I made. 1 is less glowing and 2 has more glow. I'm currently using version 2, but whenever you add glow it can look a little odd over light colored planets, but overall I think it's a pretty cool effect.
Attachments
AstroCat_light.zip
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV

Return to “Design and Modding”