Windows 8 running really slow

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

collingwood

Windows 8 running really slow

Post by collingwood »

Like previous posts my machine also runs slow, real slow, unfortunately I am computer stupid and would be grateful if someone could explain in simple terms what I have to do. Many thanks in anticipation.
Bullwinkle58

RE: Windows 8 running really slow

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: collingwood

Like previous posts my machine also runs slow, real slow, unfortunately I am computer stupid and would be grateful if someone could explain in simple terms what I have to do. Many thanks in anticipation.

It almost certainly isn't Windows. You probably need to set start-up switches to match your CPU array. can you post more details of your computer's make-up? CPU chips especially.
The Moose
collingwood

Post by collingwood »

I trust this helps, Win8 Resolution 1920 x 1080,60 15.97GB RAM GEFORCE GT630 CPU Intel 17-3770 @ 3.40 GHZ PS I haven't got a clue ref switches. Tommy
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Give this a try.

Attachments
Switchhelp.jpg
Switchhelp.jpg (129.6 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

The explanations on why this should help are in a PDF file in your game folder called What's New. Worth a read. If the above changes don't help (I think they will), then there are some other options listed in the file that may work better for your particular system.
collingwood

Post by collingwood »

Many thanks for the help, believe it or not at the end of the day it was as simple as avoiding the auto exe and just having a straight forward exe, very strange.
afspret

Post by afspret »

I tried using this fix but can't seem to figure it out. In mine it ends with "autorun.exe", so I made a copy & in the Target box of that one I took out "autorun.exe" & replaced it with ".exe" & then the "multiaudio" line. When I finished I go a message saying the entry was not a valid path, or something like that.

Do I need to do a complete re-install & if so, what do I need to do different to ensure it installs with the target line entry ending with ".exe"?

Thanx in advance.

Oh, forgot to add, if it makes a difference, my game only seems to be running slow when I on the map screen. When I'm on any other screen everything seems to work as it should.
John E. McCallum
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

You have to replace the 'autorun.exe' portion with 'War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe' (see the picture above - type the last part of your target line to look just like it.) You can't just delete the part that says autorun.
afspret

Post by afspret »

Figured out what I was doing wrong. The problem is still present though, but not as bad. I can scroll across the map, but its jerky, & if I have any movement radius rings on it takes forever to scroll. If I'm on any other screen theres a 2-3 second delay when I click on a switch such as TOE or Upgrade.

Could my monitor setting be a part of the problem, its at 1280x1024.
John E. McCallum
Javakamp

Post by Javakamp »

Would it help to run in compatability mode? Win 7 or XP perhaps?
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

Make sure your scroll delay is set to 0.
And it might be your computer is not good enough. Even with my new high end computer I have some
jerkiness when scrolling with range circles and search arcs on.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

And it might be your computer is not good enough. Even with my new high end computer I have some jerkiness when scrolling with range circles and search arcs on.

The engine for this game is around 11 years old, which makes it 462 years old in computer years. The worst new desktop on the market should be able to run AE with minimal issues. Anything even halfway decent should have almost no hesitation at all. Keep experimenting with your switches, drivers, etc. until you find something that works for your system.
afspret

Post by afspret »

I'll try running it in compatibility mode. And I do have the map scroll set at 0. My PC is an HP P7-1421 running with a "Next Gen AMD Quad Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor with an AMD Radeon HD 7560D graphics card.

Could the age of my monitor be an issue? Its a flat screen I bought about 4-5 years ago.

John E. McCallum
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

No, the monitor should make no difference.

Are you using the -dd_sw command line switch? That usually helps mine.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The command line switches were put there to deal with these issues. Even with the switches tuned perfectly, you will probably have some redraw issues if you have a lot of the overlays turned on. Things like roads, railroads, and hex borders take a lot of CPU cycles to draw. They should only be turned on to get an idea of where the computer thinks the roads are, etc. then turned off again.

Things like range circles don't slow things down too much because they are only drawn for one TF or base at a time.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

I agree, range circles has little effect. The search arcs add a bit of choppiness. Roads or hexsides adds quite a bit and both
together add a lot of chop. But I am using a 30" display at 2560 x 1600 resolution and I have to use the -dd_sw switch so I expect
my SLI 670s are not being used much.
afspret

Post by afspret »

Okay I've tried running in XP(SP3) & Vista (which was the op sys on my last PC) & no joy. Here's some other settings: Clouds-On, Map Style-w/o Hexes, Hex Side Details-Off, Map Scroll- 0, all other delays: 1.5.

Another thing I've noticed is all or part of my task bar pops open & then closes after a second or so. IIRC it started doing this either right after I changed the target line on the desk top icon or when I briefly changed the monitor resolution.
John E. McCallum
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Let's go back to the beginning and make sure we're all on the same page. What is your command line to start the game.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
afspret

Post by afspret »

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -multiaudio -cpu4 -dd_sw

I also tried turning the roads off but got nice bright red lines where the roads should be.

Also I didn't make the change from "autorun.exe" to ".exe" in the target box until after installing the current official patch (1.01.08r9). Would re-installing & making the change before installing the patch make a difference?
John E. McCallum
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

If you have bright red lines where the roads are, then you have the road display turned on. That will
cause a lot of choppiness.

It makes no difference when you do the command line switches.

Return to “Tech Support”