"What" is cruise speed?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sieppo

"What" is cruise speed?

Post by Sieppo »

It saves fuel? It increases the survival of damaged ships. It's the default (it's slower, so why use it?) for CS convoys. The difference between mission and cruise speed perplexes me, could someone explain it :)? Could not find it in the manual right now at least with "cruise speed"..
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Bullwinkle58

RE: "What" is cruise speed?

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

It saves fuel? It increases the survival of damaged ships. It's the default (it's slower, so why use it?) for CS convoys. The difference between mission and cruise speed perplexes me, could someone explain it :)? Could not find it in the manual right now at least with "cruise speed"..

At the simplest, Cruise is the standard speed of the vessel. It never varies if it's set. The ship will sit there and be holed and sink before it changes speed. It's economical and it reduces transit damage in already damaged ships. It causes less wear & tear damage to accumulate from normal use in undamaged ships.

Mission is normally Cruise speed except the ship will acelerate if the situaiton calls for it (modified by the CO or TF CO stats, the TF mission, etc.) So it isn't as economical as Cruise. It accumulates more damage. It's more dangerous for ships with damage, especially float damage.

Full is flank speed. It's as fast as the ship can go, all the time. It's very uneconomical. It accumulates a lot of damage, especially engine damage. If you use Full in a TF with mixed-speed ships you really pay for it since the fast ships burn all the fuel but still go at the speed of the slowest. Full speed should be used very sparingly, for tactical reasons.
The Moose
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Thanks for the quick answers [&o]!!
> A diamond?
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

by the way, your picture... this was a real beheading... so, some people might get offended;

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

by the way, your picture... this was a real beheading... so, some people might get offended;

I almost said something but . . .

It was real.

We should remember history.

OTOH, I don't particularly like to look at this photo.
The Moose
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

People die in wars. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a profile picture with a person planning to kill someone..

> A diamond?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

It was real.

Maybe it's offensive. It was not my purpose. What if someone had the picture of Enola Gay as his profile picture? A plane planning to kill HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of CIVILIANS. Or any of city bombing planes.
> A diamond?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

longer discussion here:

tm.asp?m=3285996&mpage=1&key=mission%2Cspeed�

The discussions says at one point, that cruise speed is the default speed of a TF even though it is set on mission speed (if there are no alarming reasons to raise the speed). Why use cruise speed for example for the CS convoys and why is it the default?
> A diamond?
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

that is a good question, I don't know

for "cargo" TF it is really not so much a difference, going from 12KTS to 14KTS/ 15KTS for example won't make a huge difference (in both scenarios you are toast!)... for a surface task force in the other hand, it can have a huge impact,
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

for "cargo" TF it is really not so much a difference, going from 12KTS to 14KTS/ 15KTS for example won't make a huge difference (in both scenarios you are toast!)... for a surface task force in the other hand, it can have a huge impact,

True. But when playing Japan, it really CAN matter. You really need to get resources and fuel as much in as possible in a short time as possible.

Maybe I'll continue using mission speed. The TF's repair themselves during loading/unloading anyways :)..
> A diamond?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

True. But when playing Japan, it really CAN matter. You really need to get resources and fuel as much in as possible in a short time as possible.

Maybe I'll continue using mission speed. The TF's repair themselves during loading/unloading anyways :)..

Sometimes CS convoys set to mission speed might speed up for some reason...like a sub sighting, and allegedly an aircraft sighting. This will burn up more fuel than just being on cruise speed all the time.

I like to use cruise speed simply because it keeps the transit times identical every trip and eliminates that variable from convoy planning.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

People die in wars. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a profile picture with a person planning to kill someone..

And people are murdered in war crimes. That doesn't mean we celebrate the murderer. As I recall the victim was an young Australian officer who fought nobly and was illegally executed just to cower the other POW's. I'm not even Australian and I find the glorification of his murderer offensive.

While we are at it, I find the linkage to Horoshima to be childish, intellectually lazy and reflexively anti-American. other than that is a GREAT avatar.[8|]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I don't want to pile on, but I find the avatar in question to be in poor taste and disturbing. The Op certainly has the right to display it, but I'll simply green button to avoid having to look at it and consequently any further questions will go unread/unanswered by me.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

It was real.

Maybe it's offensive. It was not my purpose. What if someone had the picture of Enola Gay as his profile picture? A plane planning to kill HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of CIVILIANS. Or any of city bombing planes.

Well, the photo is of a war crime about to be commited.
The Moose
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

And people are murdered in war crimes. That doesn't mean we celebrate the murderer. As I recall the victim was an young Australian officer who fought nobly and was illegally executed just to cower the other POW's. I'm not even Australian and I find the glorification of his murderer offensive.

While we are at it, I find the linkage to Horoshima to be childish, intellectually lazy and reflexively anti-American. other than that is a GREAT avatar.[8|]

I find it childish, intellectually lazy and extremely hypocritical not being able to link bombing, burning and so killing hundreds of thousands of civilian to these same war crimes. Not to add for example execution of helpless swimming sailors in the water, that were basically prisoners at that point. Same anger and aggression in action. And then celebrating the people and machinery that did this (who of course would not be trialed, because winners of war). But I do understand that there are a lot of Americans here and I guess people just don't work that way. And that Japan did a lot of terrible things that were not necessary, for example start the war :P. But not here to make any enemies, I'll consider removing the avatar.

Edit: useful link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... #Criticism

"Justice Radhabinod Pal argued that the exclusion of Western colonialism and the use of the atom bomb by the United States from the list of crimes and the lack of judges from the vanquished nations on the bench signified the "failure of the Tribunal to provide anything other than the opportunity for the victors to retaliate." [19] In this he was not alone among Indian jurists, with one prominent Calcutta barrister writing that the Tribunal was little more than "a sword in a [judge's] wig".
Justice B. V. A. Röling stated, "[o]f course, in Japan we were all aware of the bombings and the burnings of Tokyo and Yokohama and other big cities. It was horrible that we went there for the purpose of vindicating the laws of war, and yet saw every day how the Allies had violated them dreadfully"."
> A diamond?
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

One has to wonder how the good Indian justice would have felt were the 'gentle' ministrations of a conquering Imperial Japanese Army to have been employed on the Indian subcontinent.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Of course the procedings involved some theater. The whole purpose was to give some sense of closure and sense of justice to the hundreds of millions of vitims of Japanese aggression and to chasten the Japanese so it didn't happen again.

The procedings were a damn site more civilized than the Bataan Death march.

Thank you for changing the avatar Sieppo. Everyone can get behind Asahi.

Even so, I think your anti-American skirt was showing in post #16 [;)] Showing a picture of a B-29, as you suggest, is not really the same thing. Have a nice day.
Sredni

Post by Sredni »

I thought the avatar was beneficial as a reminder of how brutal the axis were during the war. I think pictures of allied atrocities would be equally beneficial as a reminder that our values today are vastly different and that looking to the past at either side (with an attempt at neutrality) shows how horrible the war was, on and by both sides. Beneficial in that it shows the unvarnished reality of wwii without any sugarcoating.

As long as a forumite doesn't glorify and make light of the horror I see no problem with pictures of that sort.

Though I suppose that the argument can be made that we're just here to play a game and don't want our noses rubbed in too much ugly reality.

Then again it's probably good every once in a while to be smacked out of our gaming zone and be reminded that this was real, with real people and real death.
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Sredni

I thought the avatar was beneficial as a reminder of how brutal the axis were during the war. I think pictures of allied atrocities would be equally beneficial as a reminder that our values today are vastly different and that looking to the past at either side (with an attempt at neutrality) shows how horrible the war was, on and by both sides. Beneficial in that it shows the unvarnished reality of wwii without any sugarcoating.

As long as a forumite doesn't glorify and make light of the horror I see no problem with pictures of that sort.

Though I suppose that the argument can be made that we're just here to play a game and don't want our noses rubbed in too much ugly reality.

Then again it's probably good every once in a while to be smacked out of our gaming zone and be reminded that this was real, with real people and real death.

Very nice comments :)
> A diamond?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”