Body of German tank Ace found.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

Body of German tank Ace found.

Post by wodin »

"The remains of a German soldier regarded as the world's greatest ever tank ace have been found in a grave the Czech Republic.

The remains of Kurt Knispel - who was the tank warfare equivalent of what the Red Baron was to flight - were found by historians at the Moravian Museum in Vrbovec lying in an unmarked grave for German soldiers at a cemetery in Znojemsko."

http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/Around_the_World/2013-04-17/32974/TIGER_IN_THE_TANK_-_Historians_Find_Body_Of_German_War_Hero
Rosseau

RE: Body of German tank Ace found.

Post by Rosseau »

Shamed to say I never heard of him. Kurt Meyer gets all the credit.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

He is in panzer Aces II by Kurowski or so I have been told. I had never heard of him either until now. Which is pretty surprising seeing how many books I have read on WWII. It looks like he really had bad press and the Nazi goverment sort of hushed him up.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

I had not heard of him before - any details about his career.

I must admit I had read a bit about fighter aces and U-boat aces but surprisingly not Panzer aces. Wittman is the only one I can recall reading much about
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Stackpole military series has three books out panzer aces I,II,III. Good reading and you will find a whole section on him. He is in panzer aces II. Pages 125-195. Covers his whole career until his death on April 29th 1945. He was the "worlds leader" in total tank kills. The book cost 19.99 softcover or 9.99 as an iBook or 11.99 amazon ebook. Well worth it.
ORIGINAL: nicwb

I had not heard of him before - any details about his career.

I must admit I had read a bit about fighter aces and U-boat aces but surprisingly not Panzer aces. Wittman is the only one I can recall reading much about
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

To me he kind of looked like Burt Lancaster with a beard.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Thanks Rogo,

also found a note about him in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Knispel

168 confirmed kills. But only ever promoted to Feldwebel and never got the knights Cross. Apparently he was regarded as having a discipline problem. The article says he once punched out an Einsatzgruppen officer for mistreating Soviet prisoners. You have to respect someone like that.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

There's a medal/achievement in World of Tanks with his name.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Never played world of tanks is it good? Back to Kurt .... Like most german young adults during this time he wanted to to serve his country. He was not a member of the nazi party. Also as a NCO he in fact did strike a officer in the SS. After reading all the panzer aces books I feel there are many who might have been better tank commanders but he tops the list as far as tank kills. The top five tank aces of ww2 all belong to Germany except for the fifth spot which goes to the Soviet Union.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

There's a medal/achievement in World of Tanks with his name.

Likewise. Learned about him by playing WoT. I think the Knispel's Medal is awarded for the total damage caused.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Never played world of tanks is it good?

Depends on what you want out of a game. In some respects it is awesome and in some it is frustrating. A lot of grinding if you play it for free. Not as much but still a decent amount of grinding if you don't.

You can buy "gold" and using that gold, you can either upgrade your account to premium or buy a Gold Tank. Either will earn you more "silver"/credits to buy ever increasing powerful tanks and upgrades. You almost always start with a crappy gun, but you can upgrade it to better guns to optimize each tank.

It's a lot more in depth than you would think.

Since it is free to play, you can download it and start with no output of any money. Then, later on you can pay money if you want some of the things mentioned. It can still be a very good game without paying. I paid some at the beginning and bought a gold tank (A Type 59 that is actually no longer even offered) which earns more credits per battle.

You can join a clan and participate in clan wars which seem to be pretty popular. I have never joined a clan, though.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

Men like him are the reason I believe the Russians built over 30.000 t-34's.
Because they had to!
On the subject of tank aces the german foreign minister that milqtoast Ribbentrop
had a real man for a son who served in the army almost exclusively on pzkfw 4's.
Go's to show you the apple does'nt always fall close to the tree.
british exil

Post by british exil »

I think he was fortunate, not to be sent elsewhere after punching an SS man. Just shows what kind of panzerman he was, they needed every good fighting man in the Eastern Front, so they probably felt that they needed him bad and did not send him of elsewhere.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Hentzau

Post by Hentzau »

ORIGINAL: british exil

I think he was fortunate, not to be sent elsewhere after punching an SS man. Just shows what kind of panzerman he was, they needed every good fighting man in the Eastern Front, so they probably felt that they needed him bad and did not send him of elsewhere.

Mat
Hard to threaten you with transfer to the eastern front if you're already there. LOL
british exil

Post by british exil »

They did have concentration Camps.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

And punishment battalions.

Return to “General Discussion”