Longest game? ***Potential SPOILER ALERT***

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

arioch

Longest game? ***Potential SPOILER ALERT***

Post by arioch »

Just curious what's the longest DW game, in real world time, that people may have played?
Game world time might also be interesting as well...

I remember reading about a guy who played the same Civilization game (off-and-on) for about 10 years...
The map was a mess (lots of nuked zones) but I was impressed.
Does DW lend itself to a fun long-term experience?

In my current game, I'm not trying to force anything to happen so wondering how long it might go for.
But so far, the AG and a couple of other "good" empires are diabolical after the S******** are gone, which struck me as odd. "Bzzk, does not compute. Our reason for being is invalidated. Abort, kill, destroy!"
DW+ROTS+Legends+1.7.0.16 update+GEM 2.3+Sirian mods
Webbco

RE: Longest game? ***Potential SPOILER ALERT***

Post by Webbco »

Not sure on how many real world hours it has been (on and off for 2-3 weeks though!) in my current playthrough but the game year is 2828 and the starting year is always 2754....so gonna try for a century!

Update: now it keeps crashing at the same point [:(], will have to submit a report methinks.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I can play the same sandbox style game for weeks on end. Not hard to do when there are no victory conditions and you decide when the game is over. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Plant

Post by Plant »

You can? It doesn't crash eventually as the game slows to a snails pace under the weight of literally thousands of ships?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You are an expensive person to have around. That post made me buy an upgrade kit for my stationary computer.

Not all out of the blue, mind you, but it was the trigger.

I think some manage to play very long games. Crashes seems less frequent, but my games grow oh so tiresome with very large galaxies, which I think are necessary if you are to play "forever".

Of course, you pace of playing matters too. If you lovingly place every mine manually to optimize resource locations while playing everything at twice the cost of very slow research... It can take a while to get anywhere.
Plant

Post by Plant »

I'm sorry I encouraged you to upgrade your PC.

On the on the other hand, now you can see if you can play forever.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling
...which I think are necessary if you are to play "forever".
I'm curious how it works out as well - afaik, C# is limited in memory (3gig? Forget...), which is a restriction imposed by .Net - another reason why very few games are written with it. But I suppose there's probably ways around it - shared memory might do.

Please inform on how it works out.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Buio

Post by Buio »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
I'm curious how it works out as well - afaik, C# is limited in memory (3gig? Forget...), which is a restriction imposed by .Net - another reason why very few games are written with it. But I suppose there's probably ways around it - shared memory might do.
Please inform on how it works out.
A Windows application or game is limited to 2GB memory if it's 32-bit. It can be raised with a LAA compiler flag to 4GB on a 64-bit Windows. If the application or game is 64-bit on a 64-bit system it basically can use as much memory you can put in the system. And C# or .NET in itself doesn't limit it, there are 64-bit .NET applications.

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

My computer is from early 2008 with the first intel (cheapish) quad, apart form graphics card and SSD.

Only 4Gb memory, and I figure it won't hurt to buy a new mobo and stuff to at least remove any hint of bottleneck. Something has happened to memory speed, if nothing else. And I love to run many things at once...

One of my main peeves have been save speeds when running larger galaxies. One can dream that more and faster memory helps, but I doubt it :) When I dared do an AAR with a 1k star galaxy, I really missed the "pause after saving" option, as waiting for autosave was rather annoying. Oh, and it saved to SSD...

Stability has been better in legends form what I can see. I don't think a crash/corruption ended any of my (not too many) legends games, while it ended many of my ROTS ones.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Plant

You can? It doesn't crash eventually as the game slows to a snails pace under the weight of literally thousands of ships?

i7 Core, 16 GB RAM and a Radeon 7770 1 GB does help. I assume that my results aren't typical.

I do get some slowdown at times, but so far, nothing that has been game stopping for me.

I'm hoping the new expansion will address the issues you and others are having though, not everyone has a computer as powerful as mine (Though I'm sure some players have even better rigs) and everyone that wants to play should be able to.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”