Fixing the blizzard once and for all.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Peltonx

Fixing the blizzard once and for all.

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

This will make the blizzard historical.

Its the main reason the blizzard is unhistorical.

1v1=2v1

Remove 1v1=2v1 the last turn of November 1941.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
gingerbread

RE: Fixing the blizzard once and for all.

Post by gingerbread »

While I don't think that a rule change with such a large impact will be done at this stage, it could actually benefit the Soviets as well since the increased casualty rate (increased vulnerability) is tied to the +1 odds modifier.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Joel has already said this will not happen and you know that Pelton. This and quite a number of other issues will be revisited in WitE 2 but there will be no more major changes to WitE.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

While I don't think that a rule change with such a large impact will be done at this stage, it could actually benefit the Soviets as well since the increased casualty rate (increased vulnerability) is tied to the +1 odds modifier.

As we know most (65% to 75%) of losses are caused by retreats ( and Morale). As we know between 25% and 33% of battles won during blizzard are from 1v1=2v1.

Basicly this would very much nerf SHC blizzard.

Its really a minor change removing a unhistorical rule. Tweaking here there and every where to try and over come an unhistorical rule seems like a minor easy fix.

When we got it removed from April 42 to the end of war it was a huge positive change.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Joel has already said this will not happen and you know that Pelton. This and quite a number of other issues will be revisited in WitE 2 but there will be no more major changes to WitE.

I haven't seen JB post anything on this to-date, but if its to much to put in game thats fine.

Hopefully it will be done away with for wite2
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
chuckfourth

Post by chuckfourth »

Now tell me if Im wrong here, but is this rule meant to model Soviet political commissars forcing the Military commanders to attack when everyone knew it was going to result in very very large casualties? (ie they had no supporting artillery or noone aware of tactics etc)

If thats Right,

Then shouldnt the result be as for a normal battle ie 1=1 stays 1=1. just with lots of extra casualties for the attacker?
Maybe extra moral loss for the battles loser?

The correct implementation would be to have a die roll that applies to all Soviet units adjacent to an Axis unit each turn and if succesful then the Soviet Unit is FORCED to attack the German unit (obviously without regard to the ODDS)

This will give you the Desired result, increased soviet casualties, Little Military effect other than possibly on Morale and the confusion caused by Stalins Meddling.

Best Regards Chuck.

Best Regards Chuck
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

you must not have play russia
if you FORCE to attack because being adjacent
all you will have is a quicker loss of the army
only real possibility to make losses to axis in the firsts month is through attrition and you would leave that
how would you attack if your division have ATT 1 vs DEF 8[&:]
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I haven't seen JB post anything on this to-date, but if its to much to put in game thats fine....

His reply is immediately following your post in the tester forum, Moscow 41-42 thread.

Edit - It has also been said several times in the public forum that there won't be major changes to the game at this point. It's in maintenance mode (my terminology) with bug fixes and minor tweaks being about the extent of any changes going forward.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Seems a thread for WitE 2.0 would be interesting. Is it already being posted?

Applaud the idea of getting past the craze of the latest change or "good" idea and getting 2.0 done. Of course, ctd bugs & some others need to be addressed, but the game plays well at current level.
chuckfourth

Post by chuckfourth »

Hi Cpt Flam

True I have not played Russia,. I will get there though.
For what I am suggesting, there is a die roll so maybe 1 in a hundred units would be forced to attack or 1 in 250 whatever is deemed appropriate.

"all that you will have is a quicker loss of the army" that is correct because this "attack doctrine" resulted in exactly that and nothing more.

It is exactly the same as the Japanese banzai charge. Unsupported charging infantrie/cavalry as we learned in WW1 will take very large casualties.

I believe that this sort of attack isnt "army doctrine" at all. I see it as a purely local event instigated by political commissars(stalin). They are also less concerned at the 1 to 8 odds than the less Zealous Military commander.

Historically the Russians had about 30 million men that could be conscripted, Germany had pretty much maxed out at 3 million. So trading the soldiers lives for time worked for the Soviets, plenty more where they came from.

As currently implemented the 1v1 = 2v1 rule is I think something made out of nothing, and needs to go.
Best Regards Chuck

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”