Important lesson on Admiral's Edition Gameplay.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DivePac88

Important lesson on Admiral's Edition Gameplay.

Post by DivePac88 »

Did you know that the T-Rex couldn't scratch it's own butt, because it's arms were too short. [:'(]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
tigercub

RE: Important lesson on Admiral's Edition Gameplay.

Post by tigercub »

I just spent 1 hr on my turn ...drinking a few ...closed it with out save! sleepy I was!...T Rex have very short Arms poor things!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

Ditto. I usually avoid attempting turns on Friday evenings for that very reason. Had one too many and forgot my own rule.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Sent one turn yesterday evening knowing I should have held it off until morning. If your stomach tells you to wait until after you slept...listen to it! Now I´m pacing wondering if I´ll pay a hefty price!
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

No. I am not a T-rex. Just checked.
FDRLincoln

Post by FDRLincoln »

One time i played several turns against the AI after taking an ambien.

The next morning I discovered that I had fought and lost a carrier battle while asleep.
Fear God and Dread Nought
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Sent one turn yesterday evening knowing I should have held it off until morning. If your stomach tells you to wait until after you slept...listen to it! Now I´m pacing wondering if I´ll pay a hefty price!
No offence to AI players but this one sentence pretty much summarizes why for me PBEM is such a sterling experience.

My lessons are many apart from the obligatory drunk turns..
1. Don't do a turn with the girlfriend watching and waiting to go out. She'll say or do something sexy, you'll blow it off and ... well that's the ball game. Jokes about sinking battleships and going down won't help ...
a. Saying "yes" while ignoring point one can lead to unexpected results ala. Adam Sandler "Remote Control". I've ended up having to go to flower shows and interminable shopping expeditions due to this.
b. Never talk about the game at length with girlfriend or at social engagements unless you desire a life as a friendless sexless hermit.
c. Try not to run a turn on laptop in plane, train or any commuter transport. Glazed eyes at the sound of whistling bombs, uncomfortable stares as you pump your fist into the air, kicking the back of the seat in-front of you may cause a real conflict and there's no chance of getting to know the babe across from you.
2. Check out your potential partner for the next 5 years before realizing that the next 10mths will be like playing a turtle AI. And why does it take 96hrs in said situation to get a turn back that has nothing going on?
a. Would you marry someone you only met yesterday? Some do and thankfully marriage and divorce is an easier regret than having a game get to '43 and stop.
b. Its difficult finding a partner that goes all the way. Girls seem to have that aversion with me as well. I've got old playing this game.
c. Never have children.period.
d. Don't cheat. Sure there are other sparkling, alluring, flashy TIT-les out there, but its invariably never as good as you will dream.
3. Don't check your email 30 mins prior to dashing out the door for the subway to work, lest you be late.
4. Don't refresh your email every 2 mins waiting for a turn. Your whole day can pass you by. Hell 7 years of my life have gone by like this!
5. Live the luke warm dream. Play as the Allies.Yes,I buried this in the middle ;-)
6. Being a masochist in the safety of your own living room is better for all concerned.
Ask yourself these questions:
a. Would you ask any sane person if they would play a side that will invariably lose ...
b. Would you ask any non-Commonwealth cricket loving person if they would start a game that may not end, that might not have a result and has many hours of waiting for momentary excitement that could come at any time.
c. Would you love to drop the bomb?
d. Do you rush through the animations after awaiting your turn?
e. Do you bat an eyelid for your digital men on suicide runs?
f. Do you sympathize with your partner when things go wrong, while trying to suppress your smiling glee. Or do you send email jabs that leave them fuming while brushing off any attempt to engage in non-psy-ops banter?
g. Do you hope for WITPII in your lifetime?
etc.
Congrats, you're a masochist.
7. What do you mean a T-Rex can't scratch its butt?
8. Stay healthy, buy an ergonomic mouse and expect to get glasses at some point in your future.
a. You can get a disease by playing this game ... Victory is fleeting. Kipling was wrong, or I'm not a man.
b. Addiction is not limited to alcohol, drugs and other assorted nasty's. But at least this is cheap. Matrix games must hate this game. One purchase, forum dweller extraordinaire.
9. Never fight a land war in Asia especially with the AE engine. Okay, I'll admit I know nothing about how to conduct a land war. Planes and ships are so much more prettier ;-)
10. Save lest the power go out, save lest your next mouse click puts an shipping asset into drydock for 3 days, save lest ... well just save a lot!
11. Drunk turns, like the women you might pick up at a bar may seem good at the time, but invariably leads to anguish in the morning.
12. There is more to learn. In everything we do.

Time for Zzzz's. I'll just check my email first ;-)
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Did you know that the T-Rex couldn't scratch it's own butt

I thought that's what the Stegosaurus carcasses were for?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

1. Don't do a turn with the girlfriend watching and waiting to go out. She'll say or do something sexy, you'll blow it off and ... well that's the ball game. Jokes about sinking battleships and going down won't help ...
a. Saying "yes" while ignoring point one can lead to unexpected results ala. Adam Sandler "Remote Control". I've ended up having to go to flower shows and interminable shopping expeditions due to this.
b. Never talk about the game at length with girlfriend or at social engagements unless you desire a life as a friendless sexless hermit.
c. Try not to run a turn on laptop in plane, train or any commuter transport. Glazed eyes at the sound of whistling bombs, uncomfortable stares as you pump your fist into the air, kicking the back of the seat in-front of you may cause a real conflict and there's no chance of getting to know the babe across from you.
2. Check out your potential partner for the next 5 years before realizing that the next 10mths will be like playing a turtle AI. And why does it take 96hrs in said situation to get a turn back that has nothing going on?
a. Would you marry someone you only met yesterday? Some do and thankfully marriage and divorce is an easier regret than having a game get to '43 and stop.
b. Its difficult finding a partner that goes all the way. Girls seem to have that aversion with me as well. I've got old playing this game.
d. Don't cheat. Sure there are other sparkling, alluring, flashy TIT-les out there, but its invariably never as good as you will dream.
3. Don't check your email 30 mins prior to dashing out the door for the subway to work, lest you be late.
4. Don't refresh your email every 2 mins waiting for a turn. Your whole day can pass you by. Hell 7 years of my life have gone by like this!
5. Live the luke warm dream. Play as the Allies.Yes,I buried this in the middle ;-)
6. Being a masochist in the safety of your own living room is better for all concerned.
a. Would you ask any sane person if they would play a side that will invariably lose ...
b. Would you ask any non-Commonwealth cricket loving person if they would start a game that may not end, that might not have a result and has many hours of waiting for momentary excitement that could come at any time.
f. Do you sympathize with your partner when things go wrong, while trying to suppress your smiling glee. Or do you send email jabs that leave them fuming while brushing off any attempt to engage in non-psy-ops banter?
etc.
8. Stay healthy, buy an ergonomic mouse and expect to get glasses at some point in your future.
a. You can get a disease by playing this game ... Victory is fleeting. Kipling was wrong, or I'm not a man.
b. Addiction is not limited to alcohol, drugs and other assorted nasty's. But at least this is cheap. Matrix games must hate this game. One purchase, forum dweller extraordinaire.
9. Never fight a land war in Asia especially with the AE engine. Okay, I'll admit I know nothing about how to conduct a land war. Planes and ships are so much more prettier ;-)
10. Save lest the power go out, save lest your next mouse click puts an shipping asset into drydock for 3 days, save lest ... well just save a lot!
11. Drunk turns, like the women you might pick up at a bar may seem good at the time, but invariably leads to anguish in the morning.

Outstanding! [&o]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

etc.

Outstanding! [&o]

+1, really enjoyed reading that.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

No offence to AI players but this one sentence pretty much summarizes why for me PBEM is such a sterling experience.

etc.

Haha! Spot on! [:D]
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Well I wanted to start a post on common game mistakes, But I'm too perfect myself to make any.

I thought I'd tell a joke/metaphor then, so I thought of my AE opponents; T-Rex stands for Terminus, who is awesome and scary. But I couldn't think of anything for Chickenboy, but found myself scratching my butt. Then lastly I thought of inadequacy in not be able to scratch every part of your own body, which means that 'T' and CB are really out of their depths playing me. [:'(]

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Did you know that the T-Rex couldn't scratch it's own butt, because it's arms were too short.

We now know that T-rex actually scratched his butt by sitting on these early bird forms with big beaks (hauntingly similar in appearance to DivePac) and grinding around. I should note that chickenboy's beak is not large enough and T-rex would not have wasted his time on him.

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I can scratch my own butt. There is something to be said for 100 million years of evolution....
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I can scratch my own butt. There is something to be said for 100 million years of evolution....
Only if that something is 'Ewww....'
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Uh, cr, that's your face not your butt.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

In my own case, when I look into the mirror, I don't even have to ask "mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the prettiest of them all?" As soon as I look at the mirror it says "You are!" It's like my mirror is psychic or something. I have to admit, though, that once I had in my mind "who's the biggest a**hole of them all, and the mirror shouted the very same thing. Don't know what to make of that. [&:]

mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88
Did you know that the T-Rex couldn't scratch it's own butt, because it's arms were too short.

Neither can a dog..., but like ol' Rex, it can lick it, sniff it, and bite it. [8D]
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Damian,

You are missing your calling as a comedian. Just superior!

Loved the Kipling reference! Kipling definately was wrong!!!!!!...An exceprt of 'if' It should be read "IF ONLY"

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master;
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

Oh and neither can elephants. They use tree trunks. You'll lose your lunch laughing if you see that in person!
Andy M
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Damien,

Good stuff! I've never exposed a girlfriend or casual friends to this game. In fact, my more recent ex, who works for a software company, thought all computer games were a waste of time. Some things are best left private.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”