An easier way to determine where a unit can\cannot see?

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
Thraka

An easier way to determine where a unit can\cannot see?

Post by Thraka »

One thing I've always found it hard to do in CC is determine height differences in the terrain. I'm always hitting V to target and moving the mouse around to see everything that I can hit from that position.

Is there a way to improve this in CC? Maybe a grid-heightmap that you can display if you hold down CTRL or something? Or if I have a unit selected, holding something down would display a colored red-green circle all the way around the map so I can determine what I can see with this unit.
Kanov

RE: An easier way to determine where a unit can\cannot see?

Post by Kanov »

This has always been a problem but now is more noticeable I think because the area of vision on the battle map is somewhat reduced, not to mention that trees and small hedgerows don't block LOS like past CC's making parts of the map that you thought were safe now are suddenly on the crosshairs of every gun available to your foe.

I don't think there's anything that can be done to the current game but 3rd party programs to see the maps could be available by modders like times before.

...Although there exist a curious form inside one of the CC files. What it does? one can only speculate:

Attachments
CC debugging tools.jpg
CC debugging tools.jpg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Hard-core Spectre
thesock

RE: An easier way to determine where a unit can\cannot see?

Post by thesock »

Go into the elements abs file and change small and large hedgerows to only see over when adjacent. Makes it more like the bocage.

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”