Feud over where to bury Richard III

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

decaro

Feud over where to bury Richard III

Post by decaro »

"No one could accuse the Brits of a lack of passion for their history. As the feud continues over where to bury Richard III, the head of the York Minster church is getting hate mail, AFP reports. Nine of Richard's descendants have called for his reburial at York, where he had royal ties. But the UK has left the matter in the University of Leicester's hands; the school says he'll be placed in Leicester Cathedral.

"Not all are pleased with the decision, and some of the letters sent to the Dean of York 'are so extreme that she has referred the correspondence to the police ...'"

http://www.newser.com/story/164359/afte ... gn=rss_3_2

Apparently the Brits take their history as passionately as their soccer.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
PunkReaper

RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III

Post by PunkReaper »

I thought the car park was good enough....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

"No one could accuse the Brits of a lack of passion for their history. As the feud continues over where to bury Richard III, the head of the York Minster church is getting hate mail, AFP reports. Nine of Richard's descendants have called for his reburial at York, where he had royal ties. But the UK has left the matter in the University of Leicester's hands; the school says he'll be placed in Leicester Cathedral.

"Not all are pleased with the decision, and some of the letters sent to the Dean of York 'are so extreme that she has referred the correspondence to the police ...'"

warspite1

It should be taken seriously - he was our king, our head of state - and so deserves due respect.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Really, he killed his nephews and was killed in turn by our king who I also expect deserves our respect . They were all thugs who lived off and abused the rights of ordinary people. Stick him back in the car park
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I can speak for most Americans who have no English heritage who cares?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Really, he killed his nephews and was killed in turn by our king who I also expect deserves our respect . They were all thugs who lived off and abused the rights of ordinary people. Stick him back in the car park
warspite1

Really? You have the proof that no one else has that he murdered his nephews? Wow - you should write a book you will make a fortune.

Yes Henry VII was our king too and has our respect - he is buried in Westminster Abbey - where Richard III should be laid to rest too.

They were all thugs and lived off and abused the rights of ordinary people? Yep, that sounds like most politicians I know - although probably with a little less thug (except John Reid or Ed Balls) and a bit more leeches.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

warspite1

More to the point - who cares what foreigners - who have no English heritage - think about things that don't affect them?

PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

They were all thugs and lived off and abused the rights of ordinary people? Yep, that sounds like most politicians I know - although probably with a little less thug (except John Reid or Ed Balls) and a bit more leeches.

Then my question is, why do they deserve our respect?
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Lol true mr. W. I am reading more about your heritage and culture tho. I don't know why but I find reading about the welsh really interesting . Is there a welsh movement in England now?
ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

More to the point - who cares what foreigners - who have no English heritage - think about things that don't affect them?
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Then my question is, why do they deserve our respect?
warspite1

They do not deserve your respect because - as you have made plain previously - you are not a monarchist, which is fair enough. However, most of us are. God save the Queen [&o]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Lol true mr. W. I am reading more about your heritage and culture tho. I don't know why but I find reading about the welsh really interesting . Is there a welsh movement in England now?

warspite1

warspite1

Welsh movement in England? Sorry I do not follow?

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Scots Irish English proper and southwest you have welsh.

warspite1

warspite1

Welsh movement in England? Sorry I do not follow?
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Sorry forgot about the northern Irish .
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Soz if I am being dense but I genuinely do not understand the question [&:]

PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Wales is a separate country that is part of the United Kingdom. They have their own parliament with limited powers. They have a strong culture and in parts of Wales Welsh is the first language.
Scotland is also a separate country that is part of the United Kingdom. They have their own parliament with more powers than Wales and are voting on leaving the United Kingdom.
Ireland is a totally separate country.
Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom with its own limited parliament.

Hope this is clear, it is a bit complicated.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Wales is a separate country that is part of the United Kingdom. They have their own parliament with limited powers. They have a strong culture and in parts of Wales Welsh is the first language.
Scotland is also a separate country that is part of the United Kingdom. They have their own parliament with more powers than Wales and are voting on leaving the United Kingdom.
Ireland is a totally separate country.
Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom with its own limited parliament.

Hope this is clear, it is a bit complicated.
warspite1

But the question was - is there a Welsh movement in England?

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

You have Scotland with their own culture is it the same for the welsh?

warspite1

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

You have Scotland with their own culture is it the same for the welsh?

warspite1

warspite1

Yes the Welsh, like the English, the Scots and the Irish all have their own nationality and thus identity/culture - in addition to a British or United Kingdom identity.

PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

I think the question comes from a flawed understanding of the complex political landscape of the United Kingdom. I notice Americans often use the word England for the United Kingdom. This not a criticism of Americans, since I don't have a have a great knowledge of their political system.

This was meant to appear a couple of posts higher
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I'm from the U.S and I believe Richard III should be in Westminster.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Return to “General Discussion”