Activating the Shakturi?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

ceyan

Activating the Shakturi?

Post by ceyan »

I've been playing Distant Worlds off and on since release, and ever since the Shakturi expansion I've occasionally spent weekends playing games just to see them, like this one. Yet not once, after easily three or four dozen games, have I ever seen any event beyond the final from the original storyline. Tried it at all sorts of patch levels, every single game configuration, and yet I never get anything.

What the ever loving hell do you have to do to trigger the Shakturi events?

For that matter, I haven't seen a Silver Mist event in months either.
StarLab

RE: Activating the Shakturi?

Post by StarLab »

Do you see the Ancient Guardians? They're part of the same storyline/events I believe?!?!

I no longer play with creatures turned on, but I do recall that silvermist were somewhat hit n miss if they appeared in my games at all.

Beyond that I'll leave this for someone more knowledgeable to answer...
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

At the risk of sounding rude, are you sure the evens are clicked on?
Apart from that, they generally appear late in my game...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
TorontoStar

Post by TorontoStar »

To answer your question though, the Shakturi are usually "activated" by either you or another "player" exploring the "Beacons of Shakturi" ruins.  I find the AI does not always explore ruins in systems it's influence, so they don't always get activated.  The Ancient Guardians will give you a second warning when this occurs and you are NOT the one that explores them. In this case, this will be your only clue that they are active.
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

The Shakturi are activated by a series of events which depend greatly on the game options you chose.

I usually play 15x15 maps, 1400 stars, starting empire size and technology, and reseach costs maxed out. The Shakturi have only ever appeared twice for me, once soon after the original release of the game and once after one of the recent patches, which significantly lowered the threashold at which they appear.

It would be worth checking what patch version you are running against the list of changes in the patch release notes.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

The Shakturi are activated by a series of events which depend greatly on the game options you chose.

No, like TorontoStar said, you or one AT Empire need to explore the "Beacons of Shakturi" ruins !!

When an AI empire didn't explore the ruins but the system and you exchange/buy the Galaxy Map from them. Your explorer won't explore these ruins by themself anymore. And the Shakturi event never go into the next phase.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I think slow research messes things up, as some research limit is not reached. And as said above, the buggy explorer behavior does not help either...
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

If you're one for quicker/shorter games, you're probably going to be hard pressed to see them.

I generally play 15 x 15, 11 - 13 Races, very slow Research, and I've seen then virtually every game.

They won't show up until later game, mainly because the overall Galaxy Tech level has to be pretty high . . . needs to be or you're toast [;)]

FYI, the "Beacon of Shaktur" won't show up until the conditions (Time, Tech, Galaxy Pop I think) are met.
This is probably why a lot of folks don't see them - by that time your Explorers are usually done searching.

If you're ~ 75 years in (guess), I'd open up the Galaxy map (lower right panel) and select "Ruins" and go through them. You may need to manually send an Explorer to investigate the Beacon.

First time I encountered them in testing I looked at their Military Rating and was . . . and that was before they were really PO'd [:D]

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

FYI, the "Beacon of Shaktur" won't show up until the conditions (Time, Tech, Galaxy Pop I think) are met.
This is probably why a lot of folks don't see them - by that time your Explorers are usually done searching.

I think this is correct. I certainly have never come across a 'Beacon of Shaktur' so I imagine it appears after I've finished exploring the galaxy.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Yup, if you are playing slow research you might reach victory conditions before the galaxy wide research level is reached. It helps to start the AI (and maybe even yourself) off with somewhat of a starting Empire if you want to reach the tech level first. The AI play much better if you start them off with something more than a single planet and will be harder to beat, making a longer game.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Ralzakark

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

I think this is correct. I certainly have never come across a 'Beacon of Shaktur' so I imagine it appears after I've finished exploring the galaxy.

As SpaceCadet stated, there are certain conditions that must be met. But to add a point, the entire map (galaxy), no matter what size, does not have to be 'fully' explored before the Refugees (Shakturi) appear. I've have many games where the Beacon did somehow get discovered (by another race) and I had
to quickly assemble my forces and 'Bum-Rush' them or die.
(..and die I did MOST of the time!)
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
darcion

Post by darcion »

if someone look for good answers here is the old thread tm.asp?m=3179350
ravendark

Post by ravendark »

do shakturi still apear after victory/defeat has been reached, since you can continue the game...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”