Why does amphibious invasion cost jump?

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

MarkWayneClark

Why does amphibious invasion cost jump?

Post by MarkWayneClark »

Once again, just as I think I am making progress, something comes along to kick me in the nuts and force me to start over.

I've been "playing" GD for a while as the Allies, but getting nowhere, the Russians just get horribly mauled. I've figured out how to just hold off the Germans for a while.

But, in preparing for D-Day, I encountered another frustrating surprise. So, first of all, the cost of amphibious operations is insanely expensive. 6 points per corps. I am playing on "very easy" which should have me awash in cash. But spending ALL my UK PP for two (2) turns yields only 11 points, not enough to land two corps.

Now, you might say, but the real Brits put ashore only two divisions on D-Day, so why are you trying to land corps? Answer: because we've already established that divisions are useless tin soldiers in this game. They'd never even make it out of their landing craft.

Anyway, I thought I had budgeted for this but ... no, because the price of an amphibious point suddenly jumps from 37 to 46 right before D-Day.

Why the hell is that? Apart from, in order to piss me off and ruin my game?
rmonical

RE: Why does amphibious invasion cost jump?

Post by rmonical »

Rather than start over - hit F12 and cheat some PP onto your account.

The increase in certain costs is a scenario design thing that can be changed. I am looking forward to some scenario design discussions when we have a stable 1.04.
JLPOWELL

RE: Why does amphibious invasion cost jump?

Post by JLPOWELL »

Amph points go up in price (for each) the more you have (kind of a reverse economy of scale). I am not sure of the rationale (and not sure I agree with it) but I think they are trying to limit unrealistically large landings. Also you need to land foot infantry units (much cheaper than armor or Mech to land. You should be able (by saving up) land at least 2 US Corp and 4 divisions plus 1 UK corps and perhaps 2 divisions. (this is at normal at very easy you should be able to land an enormous initial wave...) In my experience vrs the AI this worked very well for grabbing a few ports then the rest of the army followed fairly quickly.

This is a pretty tricky game, and you jumped into a pretty hard scenario. You may want to try 1939 or 1940 scenario first. Also playing a game as Germany will allow you to see both the strengths and weakness they have.
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
Omnius

Good Points

Post by Omnius »

ORIGINAL: JLPOWELL

Amph points go up in price (for each) the more you have (kind of a reverse economy of scale). I am not sure of the rationale (and not sure I agree with it) but I think they are trying to limit unrealistically large landings. Also you need to land foot infantry units (much cheaper than armor or Mech to land. You should be able (by saving up) land at least 2 US Corp and 4 divisions plus 1 UK corps and perhaps 2 divisions. (this is at normal at very easy you should be able to land an enormous initial wave...) In my experience vrs the AI this worked very well for grabbing a few ports then the rest of the army followed fairly quickly.

This is a pretty tricky game, and you jumped into a pretty hard scenario. You may want to try 1939 or 1940 scenario first. Also playing a game as Germany will allow you to see both the strengths and weakness they have.

JLPOWELL,
Some good points about the reverse economy of scale. While we play ToF in the "Euro" Bubble we easily forget that the Pacific War is also being fought and the Pacific Theater was competing for amphibious landing craft. I like the increased cost as a deternce to building outrageous ahistorical amounts of amphibious trans ports. I remember Hearts of Iron being a total failure at having any kind of realistic limits to purchasing amphibious assuult points, I once had an American 200 division landing force land in China. HoI was a total failure to me and I returned it for a refund.

Good point about using regular infantry for the iniotial landinmgs and seizing portsd so that mech and armored units could be sea transported to ports thus costing much less. A shame the AI doesn't do this but wastes so many PP's on AIP's it never uses.
Omnius

Return to “Time of Fury”