Newbie question re movement of enemy units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

RealChuckB

Newbie question re movement of enemy units

Post by RealChuckB »

Hi,

I'm working hard on getting into the game and for that I'm playing the tutorial again and again (and reading the manuals) to better understand what's going on and what impact my decisions have.

There is one thing I'm really struggling with (even on the small tutorial scenario - Velikie Luki) and I assume it will get worse in the larger scenario:
After my (soviet) turn is done, it switches to the Germans, their phases and then my phases. My problem is that I basically cannot see the movement of the German troops, all troops are also removed during the various admin phases.
This makes it very hard for me to follow what's going on on the other side (FoW is off) so at the beginning of my move I have to re-orient myself to see if the unit I just defeated in the previous turn is the one in front of me or if there was a shuffle and I'm facing a fresh unit.

I think that following the enemy movement would be extremely important to understand what's going on and if there is a shift that I should be aware of but WitE doesn't really allow this and I feel that I'm left with a fresh "new" situation at the beginning of my turn. Is there maybe a way to "replay" the opposite turn to see what's going on?

I feel that this makes it very difficult for me to get into the game, which would be a shame.

Chuck
Disciple

RE: Newbie question re movement of enemy units

Post by Disciple »

At the start of your turn, press F11 which will bring up icons on the map showing all battles, air-drops etc that have occured since your last turn. If you click on an icon you will get the combat report for the event, including a list of all participating units. With fog of war off, you can always identify enemy units by hovering the mouse cursor over them, thus it is easy to see where they have ended their turn after any combat/event .
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

Thanks for your fast response - yes, F11 is helpful in finding out "events" but I'm really looking for tracing the movement of units and I really don't want to memorize their individual designation (which wouldn't be possible with FoW in most cases anyhow).
If the type of unit is the same, it will be difficult for me to assess, if, i.e., the infantry division in front of me is the same one that was there last turn or did it switch spots with another infantry unit from the same corps (distinguishable only by unit designation).
Even in the tutorial scenario there are quiet a number of German units coming in and then shuffling back and forth in front of me and I'm trying to see where they are moving to to understand the direction of their attack.
Right now, it feels a bit like the shell game [;)] and I can't imagine how to do it in the larger scenarios.
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

It's the other way around - you should develop the habit of tracking the significant enemy units and I'd imagine that most of those who do use a spread sheet. This could be done having a list of the German mech units and noting (say N, C or S) for each of them every turn - this is just a suggestion, develop your own system.

I've seen some players reporting tracking which Soviets units that were attacked and retreated so that it is possible to tailor the attacking force in later turns - this I rate as very ambitious undertaking and is probably not suited to every player.
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

Thanks for your reply, Gingerbread. I had hoped that something like what you suggest would not be necessary, after all, this is why I prefer computer wargames over tabletops because I like the idea of the computer helping me with the chores of this hobby [;)]
Not sure I understand why it was implemented in this way, I have seen it more user-friendly in other games and even a simply "replay" button that replays the movement phase would be great but I guess I have to see if it works for me, it would be a shame if not.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”