Nightmare with 1.18 download

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

fentum

Nightmare with 1.18 download

Post by fentum »

I have recently been using the latest beta's from the members' page without issue, but last night I tried to download the 1.18 offical update. My laptop and my PC each spent around three hours downloading information then, at the last minute, I received a simple 'encountered an error ' message.

No details, and the same on both laptop and PC.

It's disappointing as I am schedueld to play on line vs a bloke tonight, and he is running 1.18.

Oh dear. What can I do?

Is there not a better way to update the system? I am not tecghie AT ALL, but it seems as though the WHOLE game gets downloaded every time, rather than just a few updates. That has meant three hour downloads from 1.14-1.15-1.16-1.17-1.18 all in the last couple of weeks.

I look at stuff on my ipad and think, if only CoH was like that...

tsnouffer

RE: Nightmare with 1.18 download

Post by tsnouffer »

I've stopped trying to use the in-menu updater. I never had much success with it either. I typically download the update direct from the Matrix web site and do the update manually. Much better luck for me that way.

But I hear ya . . .[:(]

Games from the Front
hugi

Post by hugi »

You are absolutely right. Never saw such a bad update system. Download every time the hole game, slow connection and many breaks. Of course you must reload from the beginning, after every break.

Sometimes I think this is only a fanproject. It fells like.

After the last official update to 1.17 I started the game and the "Main-Menu-Hind" says: "New Release 1.6. Update now." I smiled, and thought "OK they forgot to update the message". Then I logged into multilayer and got this warning: "You are not using the last version 1.16 ...".

Come on! A little bit more professional would be nice. I'm working in informatics and can not release such things to our customers.

At least I must say: CoH is a cool gaming system and the computer game will be better and better.

^^
hugi
fentum

Post by fentum »

Agreed. This is a cracking game and the tech support is very good in terms of board response, rules implementation and development. The actual behind the scenes tech stuff like download and chatting is pretty poor though.

EDIT

AAARRGGHHH!!

This is very frustrating. I really want to get into this game but how can there be an active and growing community when it takes such hassle to play it on line?
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

hi fentum, sorry to hear about your download troubles. Luckily I haven't had the same with CoH, even when using their built-in updater, but I have run into that type of stuff with other games and it is never pleasant.

I'm not sure if it will be in time for your match but I'm going to put the full v1.18 patch up on Dropbox and PM you the public link. Grab it from there and let me know when you have it so I can delete it (it'll take a lot of room).

Sounds good?
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

WCS doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the download process. I don't have passwords for that stuff. I don't know anything about how it works. Please address your issues to Matrix support.
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

Is it possible to develop this application where an incremental update doesn't require downloading more than a gig of content? It seems I'm downloading the entire game again with every patch. This would not be a problem before, but unlimited data downloads are a thing of the past.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I don't know much about the patching system that Matrix uses so I can't say for sure what it would take to make the patches incremental. The patches are big because they include the giant-sized maps which so many people asked for, not because you are downloading the entire game each time.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

crazy question,

is the 1.18 an official download? Twice I have tried to download the patch through the game menu and it fails when almost complete. I go to the members page and its not listed yet? Am I missing something?

Thanks

I decided to download from an alternate site, seems to be downloading fine so far
http://www.gamershell.com/download_9771 ... l?12:32:08
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

demjansk, v1.18 is an official released patch. In addition, besides the update client that comes with the game, there's always the game's official download patch which has the official patches too:

http://matrixgames.com/products/424/downloads/

And of course there are mirrors of which Gamer's Shell is one of the faster.
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

The patches are big because they include the giant-sized maps which so many people asked for, not because you are downloading the entire game each time.

Love the maps, but is there something in the patches that affects the maps that we have to keep re-downloading them?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
fentum

Post by fentum »

Good question.

Can the updates just ignore maps and focus on gameplay updates?
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

The updates are all from the main game, they aren't incremental. Matrix at some point will update the game in the store, at which point, I think, the reference point for the patches will change.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

Ok, just saw this thread, apologies for the late response.

First, I understand that those posting here had a bad experience with the downloads. That's not what we want at all, but I need to explain a few things first.

There is no actual problem with the download server or our download system. I've used this myself from many locations without an issue. We re-test it just about weekly from various locations around the world to make sure it's working fine. There are two ways to download an update. The first is the automatic updater that launches when you click on the "Check for Updates" link on your game menu. The second is a direct download from our FTP server through our Downloads section or the Downloads link for each game.

The automatic updater has the advantage of convenience - just one click and you're on your way to the latest update. The download link from our site requires a bit of site navigation, but since it's a direct link to our FTP it's also possible to use download managers with hit. The auto-updater software acts as its own download manager, which usually makes it more reliable in cases of connection issues.

What I think is the issue here is a combination of the update size and the nature of the internet. Internet speed varies widely and is dependent on each link in the chain. Our download servers are in US, so for anyone outside the US, even if the server in the US is doing fine and has plenty of bandwidth, the chances of an issue from a traffic jam of some kind along the route between us increases. The longer the route, the more the chance of an issue or bottleneck.

This is also one of our largest updates. Once we decided to add support for the extremely high resolution board game quality 2D maps, the update size increased substantially. As a policy, we only make comprehensive (rather than incremental) updates so that you only need one update to update any previous version of the game to the latest version. From past experience, this saves far more issues with update and version confusion and the problems of installing multiple incremental updates in the wrong order. We've also tested "difference" updates that patch the files themselves, but we find that while these create smaller installers, they take far longer to actually install for large updates and don't save that much space when there are entirely new files to distribute.

I will check with our network administrator on this issue - it would be very helpful if those of you who are having issues could e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com with your external IP address (you can find it here http://mywanip.com/

Also, if you have not had success, try a download manager and the direct FTP link here. I'd suggest http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/ and the direct download link is here: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/424/downloads/

Finally, you'll note from that downloads link above that we've also made it standard policy to upload updates to several mirror sites, so if you have issues downloading from our server, please try one of the mirror sites and let us know if that works.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
budd

Post by budd »

thx for the reply

I have never had any problem getting your updates, from the updater or an external link. I'm just kind of whining about downloading over a gig each time for small changes to the game. But if that's what i have to do to get the updates, then thats what i have to do. No worries, hope everyone else's issue's with the updates gets solved. Thx again for the reply.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Return to “Tech Support”