World War 1 Timeline?

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

World War 1 Timeline?

Post by kirk23 »

Is there a reason why the game, has Belgium being attacked along with France, and Britain's entry into the war, before Russia's entry into the war,when in history Russia was at war with Germany days before any off these events?[&:]

See below the true timeline off events.

28 July 1914

Austria declared war on Serbia

The Austrian government blamed the Serbian government for the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and his wife and declared war on Serbia.

Although Russia was allied with Serbia, Germany did not believe that she would mobilise and offered to support Austria if necessary.

However, Russia did mobilise and, through their alliance with France, called on the French to mobilise.

1 Aug 1914

Germany declared war on Russia.

3 Aug 1914

Germany declared war on France

Germany declared war on France. German troops poured into Belgium as directed under the Schleiffen Plan, drawn up in 1905. The British foreign secretary, Sir Edward Grey, sent an ultimatum to Germany demanding their withdrawal from the neutral Belgium.

4 Aug 1914

British declaration of war

Germany did not withdraw from Belgium and Britain declared war on Germany.

Make it so!
JJKettunen

RE: World War 1 Timeline?

Post by JJKettunen »

Declaring war doesn't mean that there are instantly major combat. Russia should be the last to be really active, as per history.
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

On turn 4, the 13th August this is the first time the Entente gamer,gets to see the Russian forces.The allied player should be able to at least see his Russian forces,and move some units or build garrisons etc,before Britain enters the war.12 days after Russia declared war on Germany,and yet you have zero control over RUSSIA?[&:]

Attachments
Russianot..eplayer.jpg
Russianot..eplayer.jpg (479.23 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Make it so!
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

boohoo
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

As you have realised Kirk, the game is designed for the beer and pretzels market and any attempt to make it historically accurate would ruin it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi I have been pretty busy modding the game naval wise,to pay much attention to the basic start,but I have to admit to being bemused,as to how Russia started to mobilize in July,and yet as of the middle of August there are no Russian forces visable on the map,how no ? Russia is at war as the Entente player I should be able to give orders to the Russian forces before Britain's arrival in the war for petes sake![:@]
Make it so!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Hi I have been pretty busy modding the game naval wise,to pay much attention to the basic start,but I have to admit to being bemused,as to how Russia started to mobilize in July,and yet as of the middle of August there are no Russian forces visable on the map,how no ? Russia is at war as the Entente player I should be able to give orders to the Russian forces before Britain's arrival in the war for petes sake![:@]
warspite1

kirk23 this has been debated previously along with the lack of Austrian Army in the east. Its one of the mechanisms used to ensure play balance. I think - although do not know for certain - that the developers are looking at this.

I think its fair to say that while the western front plays more like a WWI game should, in the east there does not appear to be enough units and blitzkreig tactics are possible to encircle and destroy the Russians.

Hopefully this too will be addressed in good time.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

Because that is how the game was designed. There is only one wrong thing with its timetable: Germany should start first, then AH on the next turn, and Russians on next, as per historical maneuvering of the armies.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

As you have realised Kirk, the game is designed for the beer and pretzels market and any attempt to make it historically accurate would ruin it.

Humbug.
Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

kirk23 this has been debated previously along with the lack of Austrian Army in the east. Its one of the mechanisms used to ensure play balance. I think - although do not know for certain - that the developers are looking at this.

I think its fair to say that while the western front plays more like a WWI game should, in the east there does not appear to be enough units and blitzkreig tactics are possible to encircle and destroy the Russians.

Yeah, there were no huge encirclement battles on the Eastern Front in WW1 . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tannenberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bat ... rian_Lakes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Przemy%C5%9Bl
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

warspite1

I think that is a tad unfair. In making a fun game, that imo is a little more than beer and pretzels, a few design choices have gone a little awry. But these (hopefully) will be fixed, and the game is still fun!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: FOARP

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Yeah, there were no huge encirclement battles on the Eastern Front in WW1 . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tannenberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bat ... rian_Lakes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Przemy%C5%9Bl
warspite1

Nice sarcasm [8|]. Good addition to the conversation......

I am not talking about set piece battles and encirclements on a local scale - and if you have played the game you will know exactly what I am talking about....[:-]

I am talking about bottling up the Russian Army around Vilna - Kovno - Minsk while the south is a free for all race to as many Russian cities as possible and being able to freely re-supply armies in Rostov and Orel etc without penalty.

Russia has to save itself in the north or their only port goes (and the ability for the Entente to wage effective submarine war in the Baltic). Plus - Petrograd and Moscow need protection.

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Don't get me wrong I really do like the game,as you say its fun to play and very easy to get into,with patches I'm sure things will be altered,the game is being played by more and more people,and so problem areas will show themselves because of this,I don't know how many testers were involved with the game before official release,but us gamers are now an army of testers.

Speaking as a modder of games,I only try to improve the game for everyone,if it don't feel right to me, and there is a way to edit it, then I will change it.All the units in the game be it land,air or sea represent different forces,but we do not know what the size of these forces are.An Infantry unit for example,is this a division sized unit of over 20,000 men everthing is guess work.[;)]
Make it so!
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

An Infantry unit for example,is this a division sized unit of over 20,000 men everthing is guess work.[;)]

No it is an Army sized unit...
Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

Return to “Commander - The Great War”