This or Strategic Command?

Commander – Europe at War Gold is the first in a series of high level turn based strategy games. The first game spans WW2, allowing players to control the axis or allied forces through the entire war in the European Theatre.
towerbooks3192

This or Strategic Command?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

With my birthday coming up I have at least $70 up to $80 to spend. I just got Strategic Command Global Conflict but I am not sure if I am impressed or its just the fact that the whole world is squeezed into a smaller scale but its ok so far. I was wondering if I should choose this game or Strategic Command 2 plus its WAW and Patton drives East expansion?

I heard some good things about both games but I just want to know which ones to get that are really worth playing and if ever I will be getting Strategic Command 2 I think I will add the Pacific theatre to that and if I will be getting CEAW, I think I will buy it along with Commander: the great war (if its as good as that game but only in WW1).

I am really confused on which one to get and I would welcome suggestions of other war games as well if it fits my meager budget.
et ignobiles oblivio
FirstPappy

RE: This or Strategic Command?

Post by FirstPappy »

I bought CEAW after reading this review and have not regretted it since as I was a Third Reich boardgamer myself many years ago.

http://www.wargamer.com/article/3076/pc ... rategy-2.0

Check the forum at Slitherine too.
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192
With my birthday coming up I have at least $70 up to $80 to spend. I just got Strategic Command Global Conflict but I am not sure if I am impressed or its just the fact that the whole world is squeezed into a smaller scale but its ok so far. I was wondering if I should choose this game or Strategic Command 2 plus its WAW and Patton drives East expansion?

If you are looking for a really good WW2 ETO game my suggestion would be to download the SOE Fast Play scenario for SC Global Gold available in the Battlefront repository.

I have both SC (all of them) and CEAW but SOE Fast Play is my most played version of WW2 in Europe, better AI than CEAW and I prefer the scale and ETO focus over the main Global Gold campaigns.

If you still want to spend your money have a look at SC WW1 which has a full WW2 campaign Storm Over Europe (on which SOE Fast Play is based) great WW1 campaigns and scenarios and you can add on the Breakthrough expansion which adds yet more scenarios an improved version of SOE and the Russian Civil War.

CEAW is a good game but (particularly for single player)I find SC more rewarding overall as a gaming experience.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

too late wolfe [:(]

You already told me about WW1 in the battlefront forum and I should have gotten that over all the SCs. I will try to get hold of WW1 and see how things go. In terms of presentation CEAW and even their new game C:TGW is drawing me towards it but if the WW1 and AI is better with SC WW1+ Breakthrough then I would pick that up if as you said it also had WW2 scenario
et ignobiles oblivio
dhucul2011

Post by dhucul2011 »

The AI in CEAW is awful. The AI in SC2 WW1 Breakthrough, AOC and AOD at difficulty level 1 are really good.

Don't waste money on CEAW until they release a new AI if that is how you will be playing.

Symple

Post by Symple »

So, if you like playing people instead of AI, reverse this advice. Both games are fun, Commander: Europe at War Gold 3.0 is totally wonderful.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Not exactly the same subject but since Slitherine is planning Strategic Command 3, will they implement a CEAW II sometimes with perhaps enhanced AI ?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Just bought it and the Great War both on the Holiday Sale and loving it. Question, is it version 3.0 from the start, when I hit the update button it says I am current. Where do you find what version you have?
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

Return to “Commander - Europe at War Gold”