Time of Fury 1.04 beta

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

doomtrader

Time of Fury 1.04 beta

Post by doomtrader »

You can download beta version of 1.04 here:

http://www2.wastelands-interactive.com/ ... 4patch.zip
2013-01-25 [v1.04]
--Fixes
ChangeSMP event's method now correctly changes the values of SMP
Entrenchemnt bonus now removed just after the unit has moved, not at the end of turn
Game can be always running in Quick Start mode as Allies
Fixed display o the Deffenders effective strength value
Fixed supply distribution problems

--Events
Added new method for events Hex.AddFrozenLandUnitAndPassControlOverHexIfEmpty (int hexX, int hexY, int countryID, int unitType, int unitLevel, int unitStrength, int turnsfrozen, name)

--Gameplay
Soviet effectivity reduction impact decreased by 50% and probability to recover increased 3 times
Winter War most probably end after Soviets capture of Helsinki or Vyborg (715)
Soviets social unrest now will gain 50% hit (was 10%) if Winter War peace won't be accepted (335)

--Features
Nukes are now aquired every four months instead of each month (moddable)
Nuclear report added to the reports

--AI
AI now uses the Nuclear Bombs more eagerly

This is .zip version, which means you have to uznip it and overwrite other files.

Please note that this version can cause crashes and full stability is not guaranteed.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
1.04 is not compatibile with previous versions of the game, so you won't be able to load your old save games.
rmonical

RE: Time of Fury 1.04 beta & Winter war

Post by rmonical »

Still no joy on the crashes. Same configuration as the last thread.

Having just experienced the never-ending Winter War on my human.v.human solitaire v.102 game I recommend the following change to event 715. Justification is that other factors were pressuring Finland to settle even if the Soviets do not have geographic success. In my run through, the Finns suffered enormous casualties they were able to absorb because of all of the aid received.

<or>
<!-- Vyborg controlled by Soviets-->
<expression>
<leftOperand method="Hex.ControlledByCountry" param0="169" param1="43" param2="3"/>
<operator value="equals"/>
<rightOperand constValue="1"/>
</expression>
<!-- Helsinki controlled by Soviets-->
<expression>
<leftOperand method="Hex.ControlledByCountry" param0="161" param1="44" param2="3"/>
<operator value="equals"/>
<rightOperand constValue="1"/>
</expression>
<!-- 12 weeks have passed-->
<expression>
<leftOperand method="Flag.GetValue" param0="701"/>
<!-- recommend adding operator list to EVENT_ENGINE_MANUAL -->
<operator value="GE"/>
<rightOperand constValue="12"/>
</expression>
</or>

Note also that XMLNotepad detected an error in events_07_finland.xml on line 855
<!--Option 1 in event 8003 - territorial_demands_soviets_finland.xml
should be
<!--Option 1 in event 8003 - territorial_demands_soviets_finland.xml-->

And finally, to help keep the Soviets honest, I propose a social unrest event for a long Winter War.
<!--Long Winter War unrest -->
<event eventID="XXX" countryID="3" visibleByPlayer="1" oneTimeChecking="1">
<title>ZID_XXX_title</title>
<description>ZID_XXX_desc</description>
<beginDate day="1" month="9" year="1939" />
<condition>
<and>
<!--Country is active-->
<expression>
<leftOperand method="Country.IsActive" param0="3" />
<operator value="equals" />
<rightOperand constValue="1" />
</expression>
<!--Finland is active-->
<expression>
<leftOperand method="Country.IsActive" param0="7" />
<rightOperand constValue="1" />
</expression>
<!-- 8 weeks have passed in Winter War-->
<expression>
<leftOperand method="Flag.GetValue" param0="701" />
<!-- recommend adding operator list to EVENT_ENGINE_MANUAL -->
<operator value="GE" />
<rightOperand constValue="8" />
</expression>
<!--War has not ended-->
<expression>
<leftOperand method="Flag.GetValue" param0="715" />
<rightOperand constValue="0" />
</expression>
</and>
</condition>
<options>
<option optionID="2" chanceAI="1">
<description>
<!--Social unrest is increasing because of the long Winter War-->ZID_XXX_op1</description>
<tooltip>
<!--Social unrest is increasing because of the long Winter War-->ZID_XXX_desc1</tooltip>
<effects>
<!--Social unrest increased by 2 (or whatever is appropriate)-->
<effect method="Country.ChangeSocialUnrest" param0="7" param1="2" />
</effects>
</option>
</options>
</event>

borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

Wait a minute... 1.04 beta??? What happened to 1.03? It was never officially released... Are we going to get only betas now?
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

The problem with the next release is they have a nasty little stability problem where it crashes in some situations. These types of problems can be incredibly difficult to find and fix. So whoever is responsible for fixing it slogs along whilst other members of the team work through other items on the to do list. These other enhancements can be examined by those of us for whom this release is stable (sadly not me).
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Can 1.04b be installed over the initial v1.0., or does it have to be applied to a later version of the game. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

1.04 also fixes the extension of leader bonuses to units within range.

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Can 1.04b be installed over the initial v1.0., or does it have to be applied to a later version of the game. [:)]

The patch is comprahensive.
As always
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Tried it on another Machine - Dell Dimension 650 Win 7 Pro 4 GB & NVidea GeForce 6200 with 512 MB memory - this is a single monitor configuration. Still no joy.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader
ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

The patch is comprahensive.
As always
Working OK so far, patching v1.0 fresh install with 1.04 beta. Installed under a new name, keeping the earlier versions of the game active to continue playing saved games. [:)]

Toshiba Satellite Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 330M
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

So I rolled back to 1.02 from 1.03b andwas able to play without crashing so far. I would like to try the 1.04 beta. Do I go over my already installed game, or do I re-install from 1.00? Any suggestions? If I had crash problems with 1.03b, will I automatically have crash problems with 1.04 beta?
JRR
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

I've routinely just installed the patches over my existing install and have never had a problem. New patch is working well for me, although only limited use so far-- damn chores!! [:)]
Omnius

Waiting for Mr Goodbar

Post by Omnius »

I think I'm going to wait for the official 1.04 version to come out. I'm done with trying out beta versions of Time of Fury since the scenarios are so long and compatibility with newer versions seems poor. Just hate starting games that I can't finish because the next patch version bombs the saved game. Until then it's back to playing around with Strategic War in Europe.

Glad to see the entrechment bonus bug I reported in Strategic War in Europe also get fixed in ToF.

Glad to see the nuke fixes made in SWiE appear in ToF. Like SWiE you are not reporting changes to the effects of nukes. Did you reduce the blast range to one hex for the elimination of units? Did you reduce the social unrest percentages the same way you did in SWiE to 6% for the nuked country and 3% for it's allies? If so you need to document this info better isntead of forcing players to find out the hard way. If not you need to make it the same as SWiE.

Glad to see the Finland problem get some fixing. Vyborg should be the trigger to ending the Soviet/Finland War, not Helsinki. If you let the USSR take Helsinki or Petsamo you leave Finland as a worthless rump state, that's why Vyborg should be the trigger to ending that war. Or if the Soviet AI or human dithers the way the AI used to taking Finland then there needs to be a historical date deadline that triggers the Finland event and awards the USSR the same territory it got historically. I like that social unrest penalty if the Soviet player doesn't accept a Finnish peace deal.

What about Norway? Last I looked in version 1.03 beta 1 that was a total mess for Germany. I saw the German AI DoW Norway several times but never take the country. You need some kind of Quisling event so that the German AI can conquer Norway and garrison it properly. It should be like the Crete event where Germany pays a price in PP's and gets to conquer Norway automatically with garrisons. One of the dumbest things in SWiE is that the German AI DoW's Norway and is awarded the country automatically but it gets no garrison so a clever Brtiish player can have units ready on AIP's and invade on the same turn Norway turns German. This Quisling event should be available for humans as well since invading Norway really isn't worth the expense for Germany.

To be honest because of the way Norway and Finland have been modeled I'd rather just start with the 1941 campaign. The other thing I didn't like about the 1939 campaign is the poor modeling of starting tech levels and the beggar's banquet of PP's that do not allow players to reach the 1941 campign tech levels. Despite some poor historical starting aspects of the 1941 campaign I'd rather start with those limitations than waste time starting from 1939 trying to do better. One thing about SWiE that I like over ToF is that in SWiE on normal level there is more PP's left after upkeep, I like how low the upkeep is in SWiE compared to how high it is in ToF compared to the production. Plus minor countries have a better tech level and the USA has the nuclear research well under way, the best of any annual start.

Please fix the British, British Colony and Iraqi convoy routing so that they always route around Africa, the way it was in version 1.02. If we humans play the Allies then you make it somewhat harder because of the horrible changes made in 1.03 that run all convoys through the Med where they get slaughtered by both German and Italian subs. When we let the AI play the Allies then you make it much easier on us human Axis players because we know we can stop the AI's from sending any convoys the rest of the game once we stop a couple of them with huge losses. Even if it costs more transports, and it should, I'd be happy if at a minimum convoy routing was like version 1.02 around Africa. Malta would be the one Med destination that should route through the Med from England through Gibraltar.

Last but not least I sure wish we could have a 1945 scenario like we have in SWiE. [:D]
Omnius
JLPOWELL

RE: Time of Fury 1.04 beta

Post by JLPOWELL »

Doom,

Is this the place for 1.04 beta bugs or should I post in tech support?

At any rate the supply for air units is broken in this version. Tested Gotterdamerung scenario and all allied Air units are getting very strange supply sources (most are getting virtually no supply at all and cannot rebase.)

A couple of examples:

UK 202/500 Squadron shows "supply 1 from Ipswich" Unit is located two hexes from Glasgow (which is connected to MSS)

UK No 18 Group shows "1 supply from Edinburgh" and is located 2 hex from London (MSS)

Similar results found for USSR USA and Free French air units (one French unit is getting supply from Sirt LOL; not near unit and not a port and not connected to anything.)

FOW was on so I didn't see the Axis stuff but suspect it is universal (also suspect AI is not affected by air supply restrictions)

I ran for a few turns to see if the supply recalculation at start of turn would resolve this but it did not.

Otherwise build looks pretty good for an early beta.

"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

JLPOWELL, this thread is fine.

Does the supply of land units is calculated properly?
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

[quote]ORIGINAL: JLPOWELL

Doom,

Is this the place for 1.04 beta bugs or should I post in tech support?

At any rate the supply for air units is broken in this version. Tested Gotterdamerung scenario and all allied Air units are getting very strange supply sources (most are getting virtually no supply at all and cannot rebase.)

A couple of examples:

UK 202/500 Squadron shows "supply 1 from Ipswich" Unit is located two hexes from Glasgow (which is connected to MSS)

UK No 18 Group shows "1 supply from Edinburgh" and is located 2 hex from London (MSS)

Similar results found for USSR USA and Free French air units (one French unit is getting supply from Sirt LOL; not near unit and not a port and not connected to anything.)

FOW was on so I didn't see the Axis stuff but suspect it is universal (also suspect AI is not affected by air supply restrictions)

I ran for a few turns to see if the supply recalculation at start of turn would resolve this but it did not.

JLPOWELL, this thread is fine.

Does the supply of land units is calculated properly?

I have had the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE! I upgraded this weekend, and wasn't sure if it was an upgrade glitch, so I tried twice and played as the allies both times. I used the custom settings once, and the quickstart once. I was going to ask if this had happened to anyone else, then I read JLPOWELL's thread! I at first thought I had not upgraded properly, as I went over my existing 1.02. I think I will roll back and wait for an official final version. I still like this game and feel it has a lot to offer, but wonder why the fixes are so buggy (I realize that they are beta)? [:(]
JRR
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

The land units seem to be supplied normally, at least within their own home countries. I will take a closer look at the land units on foreign soil.
JRR
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Posting here because i cannot reply to Doomtrader PM. --> Undeliverable PM: doomtrader's PM storage is full

All is good here in Monical-land. Operator error - I traded the data directory instead of merged.
My Games\Time of Fury\ConsoleOut.txt is all knowing for those experiencing startup problems.
Grimnirsson

Post by Grimnirsson »

since the scenarios are so long

Yep, it's one thing that this supposed to be great game is taking so long with patch after patch (but I appreciate that there are patches showing up to improve what the initial design simply lacked) but it really needs some smaller scenarios. Any possibility that more scens (smaller ones that is) will be made available?
elmerlee

Post by elmerlee »

This is out of control.
Patches fix one thing and break something else.
Hard to believe that some feel that version 1.0 is the best version after all this time.
I heard some time ago that most of the original developers left the company.
If you ever tried to reprogram someone else code you grasp why this is happening.
In my opinion this game is never going to get much,if any,better no matter how much effort goes into it.
I guess we might as well monkey with what we have but I for on will not by another game from this outfit.

Yes,they have tried.
Grimnirsson

Post by Grimnirsson »

This is out of control.

I hear ya, but...
Patches fix one thing and break something else.

At least they are patching the game instead of letting it die...

Hard to believe that some feel that version 1.0 is the best version after all this time.

When the game was published it was NOT a finished product. My wife and I bought it over a year ago and after our first steps we stopped because the patches started to come out...we are waiting for the last and final patch.
I heard some time ago that most of the original developers left the company.

No rumors please...source?
If you ever tried to reprogram someone else code you grasp why this is happening.
In my opinion this game is never going to get much,if any,better no matter how much effort goes into it.
I guess we might as well monkey with what we have but I for on will not by another game from this outfit.

Yes,they have tried.

There are only two options. Either we all think it's all a waste of time and money and move on to other games or we think about why we bought it in the first place. This game has some very interesting concepts and it promised to deliver but failed...however if the the designer(s) are still working on it it may end as the game we all hoped for when we bought it. Having faith in them seems to be the only option, no? :)

Return to “Time of Fury”