How does one select loaded units?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

fentum

How does one select loaded units?

Post by fentum »

Starting to work through the early tank firefights.

Can't seem to be able to select loaded units. e.g. an LMG is 'panzerblitzing' on a PzIII. They get shot at and the LMG takes a hit. How can I access the LMG to rally? Do I have to unload it? I can't seem to access any info ref any loaded units and I can't select them. Beyond a basic note on the carrying unit to say what they are carrying.

All help appreciated!
genehaynes

RE: How does one select loaded units?

Post by genehaynes »

I'm pretty sure you have to select the "carrying unit" (i.e. The PzIII) and unload the LMG. If the LMG has enough APs / CAPs you can attempt to rally it.
fentum

Post by fentum »

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so that is what is happening in the game as far as I can see. Is it working as intended? Should carried units have to unload before being allowed to rally?

Also - if the carried unit has a hit marker, how do you view WHICH hit marker it has on it? Do you have to unload it again, as per rallying?
genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

Near's I can tell:

1. The only way to tell what type of damage a transported unit has is to zoom in and look at the actual counter. It will reflect the negative effects of the damage marker. For example, if the transported unit cannot fire, the top left value on the counter will be a dash ( - ), instead of the number of APs needed to fire. A previous update made the counters dynamic, they display current values.

2. Regarding rallying a transported unit. If BOTH units (carrying & transported) are eligible to rally (i.e. BOTH are damaged) you can attempt to "group rally" BOTH units providing you have 5 APs / CAPs. However, if the carrying unit IS NOT eligible for rally, you must unload the damaged transported unit before you can rally it. Hope this makes sense[:)]

Again, I'm by no means an expert, I'm still learning myself. Maybe someone more knowledgable than I can comment.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

There isn't really a way to have a loaded unit act independently of the unit carrying it. Normally since they are in group movement together this isn't too much of an issue, but I can see that there are some cases (as you describe) where it would make sense to be able to select the carried unit independently of the carrying unit. I could make an interface change for this without too much coding, but this would be a major game feature change and would require quite a bit of beta testing, so it isn't something we could release easily.

It is more feasible to add display information to the carrying unit's information bar describing the carried unit. I will put this on my to-do list.
fentum

Post by fentum »

Thank you kindly for all the answers.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Yes a loaded squad may attempt to rally per the board game rules. A loaded unit and it's transport are part of a group and thus share the same AP pool. When you attempt a rally both units in this case would be rallying even if the transport didn't need to. If the transport was damaged as well with a no rally type damage, then when you roll you would just ignore making a roll for the transport. That's how I'd try to make it work for the PC version.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
fentum

Post by fentum »

Thanks. I agree with that but I don't think that the PC game allows a rally if the transported unit has a hit but the transporting unit doesn't.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to select the transported unit without unloading it.
genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

fentun,

I believe you're correct. If the carrying unit is not eligible to rally (e.g. It isn't damaged) the Rally icon will not be active, which prevents you from rallying both units. As you said, you would have to unload the passenger and then attempt to rally it.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

What I was trying to say was that it should be programmed so that you could rally under any circumstance. Both hit, transport hit, or loaded unit hit. The option to rally should be available because a loaded unit and its transport are a group and thus share the same AP pool. The unit that does not need to rally can skip the roll. That's how it should be programmed.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
fentum

Post by fentum »

Agree with the last two posts.

Return to “Tech Support”