.Map file editor

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

FOARP

.Map file editor

Post by FOARP »

I aksed this over on the Slith thread and got no answer (PS - why the community fork?) so I'll ask it here - does anyone know of an editor that opens the .Map files which contain map data? I've tried Notepad++, Notepad, GIMP, and a number of other random editors but none work, and it's impossible to come up with a decent mod (say: a WW1-era CSA versus USA scenario) without being able to edit this data.
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
JJKettunen

RE: .Map file editor

Post by JJKettunen »

I'd like to know this too. I hope maps aren't unmoddable...
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I do hope the maps are editable,because there is a boo boo here!

How do you move the border lines?

Attachments
ItalyAust..erwrong.jpg
ItalyAust..erwrong.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Make it so!
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Trieste's location can be fixed by editing the X/Y co-ords in the constructions file, same goes for Tireste's port. The problem is that border and railway data cannot be edited without editing the .map file.
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hiya yes moving the cities & ports are easy,but as you say the border lines are a bit more difficult,the Trieste port anchor is in the correct place,but it should be called POLA.We some how need to alter the 2 border lines,maybe it will be looked at with a patch.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have repositioned TRIESTE,and added POLA to the map,but I need help in moving the borderlines and the rail tracks,so that I can add a port for TRIESTE.

Attachments
Polaadded.jpg
Polaadded.jpg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

New City & Ports for Austria.

FIUME + PORT

CATTARO NOW HAS A PORT.

The full Austrian Navy is also shown in the photo,Battleship,Pre-Dreadnought,Armoured cruiser,Cruiser,Destroyers & Submarine units.[8D]

Attachments
Austrianports.jpg
Austrianports.jpg (173.72 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Make it so!
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

We'll release the map editor soon. It currently only allows editing existing maps, starting a new one is broken and we want to fix that first.
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: Lukas

We'll release the map editor soon. It currently only allows editing existing maps, starting a new one is broken and we want to fix that first.

Great news! [&o]
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Yes very good news a map editor.[&o]
Make it so!
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Awesome! Get ready for some map mods - I'm hoping by 'new maps' you mean it should be possible to create a new one of another continent from scratch. Am I right?
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Awesome! Get ready for some map mods - I'm hoping by 'new maps' you mean it should be possible to create a new one of another continent from scratch. Am I right?

Yes, but keep in mind the map is manualy drawn as a single image. It's not built from individual hexes as in panzer corps. So you need some graphics skills to develop a (good looking) new map.
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Yes, but keep in mind the map is manualy drawn as a single image. It's not built from individual hexes as in panzer corps. So you need some graphics skills to develop a (good looking) new map.

Theoretically you could get a half-decent one by over-laying a hex grid (e.g., one made here: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isoma ... vg-hex.cgi ) over a commons image of the North American continent. Gernerating one in the same style as CTGW is beyond my abilities though.

Hell, for that matter, maybe there's a way of making the map by copying graphical elements from PzC . . .
Myrddraal

Post by Myrddraal »

The game will overlay a hex grid for you (if you have that option enabled) as will the editor, so at a pinch you could use any image for the map. It just depends how good you want it to look.
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but after having played the game for quite a bit I'm getting more and more interested in editing/creating maps. Is the editor out? I can't seem to find it anywhere and this is the only mention of it I've heard.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The editor was never released and I think it will never be, but one can always hope.
Commander the Great War: Director's Cut
PotzBlitz Mod:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 18&t=77884

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”