Any AI players use auto-convoy?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gradenko2k

Any AI players use auto-convoy?

Post by gradenko2k »

It's been several months since MichaelM's beta patches that supposedly "fix" the auto-convoy system. Has anyone been using it recently? What are your experiences so far?
Lokasenna

RE: Any AI players use auto-convoy?

Post by Lokasenna »

I'm still running the latest (?) official from February 2012... I do use auto convoy, lightly. What issue should I be looking for, so that if/when I switch to newer betas I can see if it's working better?
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I tried it some time ago, and I found that a main limitation with it is that all cargo will flow from one, and only one "home port". Yes, it is a L10 port...but it will still be a huge bottleneck, plus there is the reduced flexibility compared to a "hub" system; like having a Tokyo-Truk major route and then source all SE Area small bases from Truk.

So with autoconvoy; if Buna needs supply or fuel, it will flow from Osaka (L10 port) into Buna (L1??); I am not sure how the AI will pick the ship, hopefully it will pick one that is smaller than 6K tons, because if not, it will take forever to unload, not to mention forever to arrive, besides, I don't know if there are ships that are small enough to fit in a L1 and have the range for the long trip (including return)

A better solution is to have a "CS convoys" to/ from "hubs" and manage the rest as needed. In my example, all trade between Japan and SE Area through Truk (L6??); and from Truk manage all the small bases; moreover, you can add aditional levels like having Rabaul as secondary hub:
Japan --> Truk --> Rabaul --> New Guinea bases
Japan --> Truk --> Kwajalein --> all 4th fleet bases
With this you can have a big stockpile in a major base, and use the small ships to service the garrisons as soon as you get the alert of low supply

Another point; if you go with auto convoy; be careful with the tankers; you want to protect them as much as you can, so at least for these, use "CS convoys"
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Auto convoy's only real use seems to be setting up the supplies to those static (or not-worth-picking-up) garrisons on islands like Addu or all those French islands in the SE Pac. And the Alaskan coastline. Osaka-Buna would be a nightmare.
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

I use the auto-convoy system with the understanding I will need to supplement it with my own convoys and CS shipping. It does have its limitations. I always felt it didn't send out convoys soon enough to prevent a base from running out of supply between the time it "needs" them and when they actually arrive.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

I use the auto-convoy system with the understanding I will need to supplement it with my own convoys and CS shipping. It does have its limitations. I always felt it didn't send out convoys soon enough to prevent a base from running out of supply between the time it "needs" them and when they actually arrive.

It uses the supplies demanded number as a trigger for order point. This is the sum of the LCUs' demands which are present in the base on each turn. If you move LCUs in, or conduct combat, or start forts, etc. the supplies will shift away from a smooth curve and it will look like the auto-convoy system is not working correctly. But it is. It operates on a snapshot basis every turn.
The Moose
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I've never used it as IJ.  I did some testing sometime back as the allies and used it.  Worked fine.  At least, it seemed to for me.
Pax
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Didnt know it was broke.

I have regulars running CT-Perth, Aden or Abidjan - Colombo, SF - PH.

Have never trusted them in forward areas.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Capt Hornblower

Post by Capt Hornblower »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Didnt know it was broke.

I don't believe AutoConvoy was ever intended for use in forward areas. Anyway, it seems pretty superfluous to me (esp. with the availability of Continuous Supply)-- most people here are micromanagers who really dislike relinquishing control over anything!
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Auto or CS convoys are okay and work well (no bugs) for rear areas, but never ever use them in forward or exposed areas, ever. [:-]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower
ORIGINAL: JeffK

Didnt know it was broke.

I don't believe AutoConvoy was ever intended for use in forward areas. Anyway, it seems pretty superfluous to me (esp. with the availability of Continuous Supply)-- most people here are micromanagers who really dislike relinquishing control over anything!

[:D][:D]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I play Babes Ironman, scenario #55 and have never used autoconvoy.

I find CS TFs work just fine.
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”