Carrier battles and losing that first carrier

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

coreyjones

Carrier battles and losing that first carrier

Post by coreyjones »

So I got into a two naval carrier battles over the course of two days with hornet, Saratoga, and Lexington. I know for sure I smashed Saratoga and hornet down to the bottom. However not everything went well for me either. I lost a lot of zeros, akagi took two torpedoes but will survive, zuikaku took a one thousand pound bomb, junyo took a bomb too and had her ammunition explode but will survive, and finally kaga took four torps. Kaga just sank after three days of trying to make it to Rabaul at three knots. Granted I sank two for the price of one with a couple others damaged but it still hurts. What's the best way to cope with the loss of a heavy carrier. Kido butai is mostly still intact and I mostly destroyed the invasion forces for the Solomon's. so I should be smitten right??
AW1Steve

RE: Carrier battles and losing that first carrier

Post by AW1Steve »

The best way to deal with the loss of a heavy carrier? Thats easy! Single malt scotch in large quantities! [:D]
coreyjones

Post by coreyjones »

Lol. Yeah I have a bottle of tequila calling me name
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

You sank more then you lost so thats good. As for coping, you'll never get used to it...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

First, drink heavily, as recommended. [:D]

Then, consider things like Nimitz at Midway. Was your commitment of carriers a well calculated risk, or a violation of that principle? Did the results bear out your decision to commit (note that sometimes the answer to question 1 is yes, while the answer to question 2 is no)? What, if anything, did you learn to apply next time? Most importantly, did your commitment of CVs further a well defined strategic objective?

IJN CVs are irreplaceable assets, but it sounds like you used them well and got a good result. Sinking two USN CVs early in the war (I presume it's early from your description, yes?) will provide Japan with much needed delay. However, consider the damage to the surviving CVs in calculating the total bill. An IJN CV laid up in dry dock for 6 months in 1942 is a tough pill to swallow.
coreyjones

Post by coreyjones »

I actually sank all of those pesky claa's and a couple of destroyers. I don't know where Lexington got too. Just kind of disappeared which is weird because I have total air cover over the whole area.
coreyjones

Post by coreyjones »

Well akagi has something like 30 systems damage and 28 flood damage and junyo has similar systems damage. So currently they are the most badly damaged of the two. Hiryu and soryu and shokaku took no hits at all while zuikaku is pretty much just a systems damage case. It's July 42 and all of them except junyo are due for upgrades so I figured I would lay up akagi and zuikaku and shokaku up for refit and keep hiryu and soryu and junyo together just in case another force hits me somewhere in the South Pacific. I also still have my light carriers
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Make sure you move the TF at cruise speed.

Padded walls help too.
Created by the amazing Dixie
fulcrum28

Post by fulcrum28 »

did your expereinced air groups from kaga survived and landed in airbases or other carriers?
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

If you don't want to lose your carriers, don't fight with them. Keep them at home.

To echo Cribtop - As the Japanese, having an intact KB is a beautiful thing. But you can't put them in the museum to preserve them forever. They are costly to build and maintain, and at some point, you need to put them at risk in the engagements that will justify their existence, just as your opponent must do. That means losing some of them. Just make sure you risk them in important fights, and that doesn't mean only fights you are sure to win.

As the war goes on you are sure to lose more, either to an increasingly powerful carrier force, land-based air, or submarines, in a battle royale or an ambush. Get the best use out of them while you can, while not risking them for something that's not strategically important.

Smarter not harder!
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: srv24243

So I got into a two naval carrier battles over the course of two days with hornet, Saratoga, and Lexington. I know for sure I smashed Saratoga and hornet down to the bottom. However not everything went well for me either. I lost a lot of zeros, akagi took two torpedoes but will survive, zuikaku took a one thousand pound bomb, junyo took a bomb too and had her ammunition explode but will survive, and finally kaga took four torps. Kaga just sank after three days of trying to make it to Rabaul at three knots. Granted I sank two for the price of one with a couple others damaged but it still hurts. What's the best way to cope with the loss of a heavy carrier. Kido butai is mostly still intact and I mostly destroyed the invasion forces for the Solomon's. so I should be smitten right??

Just remember you'll get loads more, more than you could ever really need. Oh wait. You won't, because you're Japan [;)]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
coreyjones

Post by coreyjones »

Most of the aircraft and pilots based on other carriers or flew to Rabaul or ponape as they where attacking at the moment kaga received the four torps so most them made it off. The next turn I disbanded most of the groups to the pools except one fighter group I left on Rabaul
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: srv24243

Lol. Yeah I have a bottle of tequila calling me name

You know, when your booze starts calling you names then it is time to look for a friendlier refreshment...[;)]
fair winds,
Brad

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”