2013 Info Thread

Matrix Games and Simulations Canada combine and completely remake two classic NATO vs. Warsaw Pact wargames into a new classic. Based on the original wargames “Main Battle Tank: North Germany” and “Main Battle Tank: Central Germany”, Flashpoint Germany is a new grand tactical wargame of modern combat. Every aspect of modern grand tactical warfare is included, from advanced armor, air and helicopters to chemical and tactical nuclear weapons. Step into the most dangerous war.. . that never was.

Moderators: IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Mad Russian

2013 Info Thread

Post by Mad Russian »

Here we are in 2013. Imagine that!!

Happy New Year to you all. Let's all have a great gaming year in 2013.

Since the Mayans dropped the ball and let us all survive it's time to move on with FP2.

There will be major news within the coming weeks but the holidays weren't friendly to us. Illness visited 2 of us and we are trying to get better to get finished with the preliminaries.

More to come shortly.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

RE: 2013 Info Thread

Post by Mad Russian »

The Road of Death.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
RoadofDeath.jpg
RoadofDeath.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 765 times

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Nice image ummm i have a little question, if is possible see the casualties in a hex... i refer to select an hex and see a list of who die on it, something specially interesting for wrecks if game use them, i think in Steel Panthers where a burning tank in an hex affect unit morale when stay on it and i think that impove a little infantry defensive value (another good point for FPG2 is if when you stack units with burning vehicles in an hex enemy tanks reduce his % of hits and even produce friendly fire cases)... first thing is sure 2nd is more a perception because stand infantry in a burning cementery usually finish in a not very effective unit without a good commander in rally.

What we want??? IMAGES AND INFO!!! when we want it???? YESTERDAY!!! [:D]
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

1. List of casualties is on our Things to Add list, but not on things we need for release. We will need to wait and see on this one.

2. Yes, wrecks and losses have effects on combat and movement. We are also getting the AI to work around visible kill pockets too.

3. More info and news is coming soon. The flu epidemic has taken a toll on both us and Matrix in the past few weeks so we are all a bit behind where we wanted to be.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I will post a screen shot every now and again. Just for you guys. I won't be stopping to explain every pixel on it. If we take the time to do that we don't get the game finished. And contrary to what Hexagon says,"What we want??? IMAGES AND INFO!!! when we want it???? YESTERDAY!!!", what gamers really want is the finished game yesterday.

To get that to you I'm not going to play 20,000 questions. I will just let you see for yourselves as we get closer.

Good Hunting.

MR

wodin

Post by wodin »

Casualty lists is a big feature I would like to see..

Besides that looks great.

One tiny question if you don't mind..what does a cross represent, one AFV?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

There are other places to see your losses. The hover over map crosses pop up list is on our wish list of additional features. Good chance it will not make the initial release but will find its way into an update down the road.

Each cross is one AFV or Squad/Team. These are units either killed/destroyed or rendered combat ineffective (knocked out or fallen out).

As MR said we will be slowly leaking info until the offical word is out and we can go full guns.

CapnDarwin

Better Get to Know Red Storm...

Post by CapnDarwin »

...today's installment. The Red Storm Counter and its information.

Attachments
NewRSCou..rLayout.jpg
NewRSCou..rLayout.jpg (192.35 KiB) Viewed 749 times

Dennistoun

RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm...

Post by Dennistoun »

Really looking forward to this release and have been for a while.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Casualty Reporting.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
TOC1.jpg
TOC1.jpg (184.38 KiB) Viewed 749 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Same battle other side.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
TOC2.jpg
TOC2.jpg (182.84 KiB) Viewed 752 times

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Nice pics, the info in counter is clear and usefull, maybe the only "but" is with the colour to know the unit (command chain)... maybe is a little small for my taste... here i allways prefer something easy to see (to know the nation if i see enough counter border for me is enough) like use the colour as base under the unit image (unit type like the tank or when is used a NATO icon).

A little question about infantry, in casualties i see a number for them, this represent squad no??? like in FGP with mech no??? you only have now split this in 2 one for the IFV and other to the infantry squad no???

Look great and only see very few, expect you survive flu without transform in a boomer [:D]

PD: i like the detail of earned citation... maybe a medal system like in CC???
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Hexagon,

Mech will be the APCs and Infantry will be the leg units. Losses are single vehicle or squad.

Citations, for now, are flavor text. We have ideas to make that more of a part of the campaign play down the road.

The command color is a visual indicator of HQ to sub-ordinates. The upper right corner is used in order to see it when counters are stacked. At the end of the day there will still be an OOB tree to refer to during play.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Love the counter. love the report window aswell..citation is a superb bit of immersion. Excellent.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, i say the command color thing because if the unit is facing left up or right down what you do with the indicators??? up you lose the colour indicator or the facing indicator (is black and red colours that eat all) and down well, here at least the spotted white dot doesnt cover all, this is why i ask for a much visible position for the unit colour.

Apart this counter is well done with vital info [&o]
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Relax. You're far ahead of the game. Asking for things when you've not even played the game. It's coming. Just enjoy what you get between now and the time we can put the game in your hands. Once you get the game then tell us what you'd like to see changed. Now is not the time for that.

Good Hunting.

MR

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Hex,

The counter itself never rotates. The red (combat) and black (road march) indicator points in the direction of movement for the formation. As MR points out there are a number of other game screen items that also help deal with the information and situational awareness of the map or a stack of counters and markers.

Hang in there. Full screens and AARs with abound once we get the official green light. [8D]

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Anybody but me recognize this place name?

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
Wildflecken.jpg
Wildflecken.jpg (114.16 KiB) Viewed 753 times

wodin

Post by wodin »

I'm actually liking the map graphics...though are those yellow squiggles houses? If so abit of a funny colour for a house.

Hex your making to many presumptions, I'm sure to go they know what they are doing and will make sure we see what we need to see during the game.

In the screenshot with the crosses..is that smoke or craters? If smoke I think a dark grey colour would be better..if craters maybe give them a dark outline it will give a 3D effect and make them look like they sink into the ground (dark outline would in effect give a shadow effect).
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, i asume things with the info i have, the unit colour is something logical, if the unit colour is on the right top corner and there is a triangle (red or black) used to show the unit facing, in a hex game you are going to have when unit face north-east the triangle over the unit colour... i allways like see clear this info in game counters, usualy in the middle of the counter under the unit icon because is a visible position and works to made counter more atractive with the contrast of counter colour and unit colour.

I like the counter info style but based on my experience i have doubts about the unit colour... i know that with an highlight function or an OOB tree you can know what is the mother unit for a counter but i allways like visual info that made your life easy with out the use of these extras.

I think that the yellow thing represent villages... i asume that when is urban/suburban they use a dark colour (like we see in a previous image) to separate these total diferent kinds of not "savage" terrain... is not the same use infantry in urban terrain than in a village... same for mech units, maybe urban provide better protection but worst firepower or something similar.

PD: dont undestand me bad, i am a little special, more complain more interest in game [:'(]

Return to “FlashPoint Germany”