Minor but definite OPART III bug

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

ColinWright

Minor but definite OPART III bug

Post by ColinWright »

In the deployment editor, I was having a fairly hard time figuring out why bringing up certain formations would make the program crash.

Finally worked it out: the program doesn't like it if you deploy air units containing naval aircraft types on land airfields. You can remove them, and set them to appear at those fields on turn one, and now everything works fine and when you go to 'play' that works fine too and the air units dutifully appear on the land airfields as they were told -- but ye canna tell the program to have such air units at land airfields at the start. The program doesn't like that.

The obstacle is hardly crippling once detected -- but obviously, it's likely to cause much hair-pulling if not corrected.

I haven't checked this, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't this way in ACOW; this is new with OPART III.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Curtis Lemay

RE: Minor but definite OPART III bug

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I tried but failed to duplicate this. I created a naval air unit & deployed it on a land airbase and ran the scenario. It didn't crash or otherwise malfunction. Do you have a save you can share?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Did the same thing in Anzio for Allied aircraft that should deploy on Nettuno airfield (a land based aircraft carrier) without running into problems.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I tried but failed to duplicate this. I created a naval air unit & deployed it on a land airbase and ran the scenario. It didn't crash or otherwise malfunction. Do you have a save you can share?

Funnily enough, I have to say that no, I don't have a save that I can share.

...I'll route an e-mail to you explaining why.

I am not Charlie Hebdo
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Did the same thing in Anzio for Allied aircraft that should deploy on Nettuno airfield (a land based aircraft carrier) without running into problems.

It's on conventional airfields, not carriers, and they can arrive there. No problem, apparently.

Have you tried having them start there -- and on a conventional field? What's more, the crash occurs while editing. For all I know, play would be just fine -- but that's going to be kind of academic if I can never finish the scenario.

However, Curtis apparently has...and he didn't get the problem.

...all I can say is that I had the problem -- and then, when I pulled the units containing the naval air units off and just set them to appear on turn one, the problem went away.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

Try editing the scenario rather than playing it. Can you go to the deployment editor and bring up the formation in question? In my case, the program freezes, and then eventually announces it has a problem and has to shut down.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Colin,

I am unable to duplicate the problem as well and I have tried all ways. Which aircraft did you have assigned? Has it been modded through one of the equipment editors? It is possible that the .sce file has been corrupted.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Try editing the scenario rather than playing it. Can you go to the deployment editor and bring up the formation in question? In my case, the program freezes, and then eventually announces it has a problem and has to shut down.
Can you attach the .SCE file in order to replicate it? I recall you once had a similar problem with carrier-borne a/c.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
Can you attach the .SCE file in order to replicate it? I recall you once had a similar problem with carrier-borne a/c.

Klink, Oberst

You must be referring to the time in Seelowe when my Bf-110's decided to base themselves on the Victorious or something.

That wasn't a problem. It was funnier than hell. You shoulda heard Ben's outraged protests.

Anyway, it was perfectly logical -- if perhaps not evidence of flawless programming.

I had German fixed supply units containing a 'land carrier' that would pop up at each British 'airfield' (those were 'land carriers' as well) as soon as it was captured. Bf-110's were among the types modified to be be naval aircraft so that they could be based on these strips.

Naturally, these 'airfields' were all full: the German player wants to jam all the fighters he can into Southern Britain.

So when Ben retook one of the locations in question, the 'land carrier' vaporized, and the program looked around for a place to send a naval air unit.

'Oh look: an empty aircraft carrier!' That it was a British aircraft carrier evidently was a subsidiary consideration.

Anyway, Ben indignantly steamed off, and the BF-110 stayed behind, and now it was 'based' on a vacant sea hex. Fortunately, I was then able to make a water take-off and put the unit someplace more appropriate, so (other than ruffled British feathers) no harm done.

I am not Charlie Hebdo
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

Anyway, guys. Gotta admit something here.

This is all happening with an .exe I've acquired that is still in development. I shouldn't have said anything at all -- but I did, and now I've got people running around trying to duplicate the effect with the standard .exe, and they won't be able to.

In my defense, I can only plead that I've been working with this thing for so long I forgot it wasn't the standard. Ignore everything I said.
I am not Charlie Hebdo

Return to “TOAW III Support”