Reserve commitments

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Seminole

Reserve commitments

Post by Seminole »

This topic deserves its own thread:

How does the Reserve commitment flow exactly? Does a commitment check occur each battle for each unit available (sufficient MP and reserve status), or do the command checks take place, and if successful then an available unit is chosen (randomly?)
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Seminole

RE: Reserve commitments

Post by Seminole »

So nobody knows?

Is this a question that belongs in tech support instead?
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

ORIGINAL: Seminole
Does a commitment check occur each battle for each unit available (sufficient MP and reserve status)

Yes. That is how a number of support units can be committed to the same battle.

However the likelihood of more on-map reserve commitments happening after the first few is fairly remote.
--
Del
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Thanks for the reply.

So does having units under different HQs have any effect on reserve commitment?

e.g. 40th Army divisions hold the line, but behind them are corps, divs and bdes under 40th Army, other Armies of the same Front, Armies of different Fronts, and even those reporting directly to Stavka.

Do they all have the same likelihood of responding as reserves, or are there penalties in that check if they're not under the same Army (or Front)?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Seminole

Thanks for the reply.

So does having units under different HQs have any effect on reserve commitment?

e.g. 40th Army divisions hold the line, but behind them are corps, divs and bdes under 40th Army, other Armies of the same Front, Armies of different Fronts, and even those reporting directly to Stavka.

Do they all have the same likelihood of responding as reserves, or are there penalties in that check if they're not under the same Army (or Front)?

There is a thread alrdy: tm.asp?m=3230163

Big A's set-up

"You need to structure your C&C and leaders to maximise initiative, and you need to rotate armoured units in a mix of regiments and divisions. Once I am on the defensive my standard army package is 2 infantry Korps of 4-5 divisions holding an 8-9 hex frontage, with a panzer korps of 4 divs in reserve split into 6 regiments and 2 divisions. This minimises the C&C penalties and maximises the chances of reserve activation.

With a 9 initiative leader in OKH and in 3 of the 4 Army groups, 8 initiative leaders in armies and 7 initiative leaders in PZ korps, you can trigger activations in 35%+ of battles and 80% of those will produce hold results, so 10+ hold results per turn from reserve activations is easily achieveable.

I ran 2 test's 1942 campaigns against 115/95 AI for 100 turns i.e. to June1944, the first without reserves, the second with reserves maxed. The front lines in the 2nd test were 20 hexes east of the first test and Soviet casualties were 800k higher.

edit: Anyway, good luck with your 1943 offensive - I would just advise you to keep an eye on your german OOB - once your manpower goes below 3.4 million, offensive operations can tip the attrition balance against you. It nearly cost tarhunnas big time in his game. "

Any other questions?

My RMA system gets commitments 98+% of the time, battle after battle turn after turn. Some units commit 2 or 3 times per turn.

SU commit is as important as regiment commitments and more important as war grinds on.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “The War Room”