You know you're addicted to AE when

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Icedawg

You know you're addicted to AE when

Post by Icedawg »

you see this headline on a news site and are momentarily puzzled, saying, "I didn't know they had cell phones in the 1940s?".

Japanese carrier faces subscriber exodus over lack of iPhone 5

Okay, I didn't actually ask that follow up question, but I was a bit confused and did ask, "What does a Jap CV have to do with iPhones?".
wdolson

RE: You know you're addicted to AE when

Post by wdolson »

I've had that same cognitive dissonance many times. Running into abbreviations that are common here in other places can lead to a moment of confusion.

On another forum I belong to there is a term "the Mothership Look" which is when someone looks at you like you just stepped off an alien mothership after you've said something.

Back when I worked at Boeing I went to the 50th anniversary of the 1st flight of the B-29. I commented that it felt kind of odd because I tend to think of the B-29 as a "new" airplane. I got the Mothership Look.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Abbreviations are a big one. All day, every day.

I pour over a map all day long to figure out where to send my trucks to and from, calculate distance and what not, and I occasionally find myself seeing hexes and green patrol hexes...is this a day phase or a night phase?
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

i live very near the seafront in exmouth (in the UK but still has in game meaning), everytime i walk up the seafront and see big ships on the horizon i think of WITP:AE, is that a Jap CV?. After playing dababes mod I also wonder what the troop/cargo load of the local ferry would be.

We even have a guy that has a landing craft (though not ww2 vintage) that ships stuff between the local ports - all stuff to get you in the mood :)
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

When I visited LST-325 earlier this year I gained a new appreciation of the load they could carry. I thought to my self "So, this is how much room 1750 cargo points is" and "I wonder why the 48 man transport capacity is not noted on the the LST data sheet, that would help, everything you can stuff people and things into with a transport TF helps"

I have wondered how many supply points I could get into the back of my Grand Caravan.
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

The big one for me is thinking that the current 'real world' date is the same as the 'game' date.

I've been obsessed with wargaming since about the time I could walk so I've just learned to ignore the odd looks.

I'm also a member of the Society for Creative anachronism and thus frequently wear 16th century clothing while fueling up my car at a gas station. Again, I really don't notice the odd looks anymore.
SenToku

Post by SenToku »

My knowledge of geography of Asia/Pacific area seems to be rather good, if bit eccentric. I can place most islands on their right chains (even places like Jolo and Makin which most people have never heard of...), but asked what country they belong to... Who has ever heard of Kiribati? Also, I hear Beijing, I think "Oh, they are talking about Peiping".
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: SenToku

My knowledge of geography of Asia/Pacific area seems to be rather good, if bit eccentric. I can place most islands on their right chains (even places like Jolo and Makin which most people have never heard of...), but asked what country they belong to... Who has ever heard of Kiribati? Also, I hear Beijing, I think "Oh, they are talking about Peiping".

I always think along the same lines with Taiwan......ahhh yes, they really mean Formosa![;)]

The same goes for Indonesia....they really mean The Dutch East Indies........curse AE for permanently transporting my mind back to the 1940's[:D][:D]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

This game works really well for pub quizzes. We once had an "old place names" category, which included Batavia and Formosa. Formosa was relatively easy (being we were all expats in Korea), but nobody else knew Batavia, which actually surprised me. I also enjoy having conversations with Aussies and dropping places like Daly Waters and Port Hedland into the conversation. Sometimes they do a double take, other times they simply plow on.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Watching the news and immediately knowing where on the map the place is, knowing the spelling of the name, knowing the old name, etc.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
SpitfireIX

Post by SpitfireIX »

ORIGINAL: SenToku

My company manufactures aircraft ground-support systems, and we bid on projects all over the world. My boss has a large map in his office with pushpins showing every location place our products are installed. When he gets a new bid request he often asks me how to locate the airport in question. "Guam? Find Tokyo, go directly south past Iwo Jima, until you come to the Mariana Islands. Guam is the large island in the southwest part of the group." "Pago Pago? Take a line from California to the east coast of Australia. American Samoa is about 2/3 of the way to Australia." The one time I was a bit stumped was by Palau, because I couldn't think of how to relate it to any major geographic features. The best I could do was, "it's in the western Pacific."
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
SpitfireIX

Post by SpitfireIX »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

This game works really well for pub quizzes. We once had an "old place names" category, which included Batavia and Formosa. Formosa was relatively easy (being we were all expats in Korea), but nobody else knew Batavia, which actually surprised me. I also enjoy having conversations with Aussies and dropping places like Daly Waters and Port Hedland into the conversation. Sometimes they do a double take, other times they simply plow on.

Cheers,
CC
Once on an astronomy forum, I told an Australian who was embarrassed at having confused two large American cities with similar-sounding names that he shouldn't worry about it, because most Americans are utterly clueless about Australian geography. "Except me. I probably know more than the average Australian secondary school student, from so many hours [s]wasted[/s] spent playing War in the Pacific." [:D]
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

We are required to update our curriculum vitae annually, which we use in place of a resume for academic merit pay raises. Our department asks for the merit report and wants our "CV" also. I have to do a double take about the request from my chair for my carriers.

"You want my CV, eh? Well, you can come and take it, Yankee dog! BANZAI!"

ETA: I've received the 'mothership look' from Aussies when talking about Darwin, Broome and Port Hedland too. [8D]
obvert

Post by obvert »

Just about to head to Melbourne and Adelaide for Christmas, and I plan to use my knowledge of Australian geography to impress her relatives.

I might be asking questions like, "So why did they stop the railroad at Alice Springs? Wouldn't it have made sense to continue it on through Tennant Creek and all of the way to Darwin to increase supply flow?"
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
sprior

Post by sprior »

... when your AAR has more hits than a Reichsban train being strafed by a P-47 and you spend your day updating it and trying to actually be releveant occasionally.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

We are required to update our curriculum vitae annually, which we use in place of a resume for academic merit pay raises. Our department asks for the merit report and wants our "CV" also. I have to do a double take about the request from my chair for my carriers.

ETA: I've received the 'mothership look' from Aussies when talking about Darwin, Broome and Port Hedland too. [8D]

I was once working on a project that was code named "Typhoon". I went out and got a 1/32 Typhoon kit, built it and put it on a shelf above my desk. There was a guy in the building I had never met who grew up in England during the war and he was quite interested in the kit. Nobody else got it though.

You could get a book on Japanese carriers and submit it with your resume. [:D]

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

I have wondered how many supply points I could get into the back of my Grand Caravan.

Hmm, I've seen how much you can cram into the vehicle for the trip to Origins.
Ryan Opel
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

You see a news story that identifies an earthquake somewhere in the Pacific and you known exactly where it is. You mind then shifts over to whether that base is yours or the enemies. If you cannot ID it, you look at the map closely and translate the name to what it was in the 1940s. I do that everytime they have a place in or around Java.
[center]Image[/center]
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

I'm addicted when I play my AI game until 1AM, 6 hours before an AR meeting with my staff.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I feel good about myself when someone that is not from here talks about their home country, and I know where it is at, and the capital for example...

Gunta, from Riga, works at Dillons here in town. When I told her I know where that was at she was very impressed. She said that most people she runs into do not care about anything but their world.

I didn't have the heart to tell her I usually take it when I am playing as Poland in EUIII...[8|]

I really would say that playing war themed games with a map, has really helped me improve and appreciate my knowledge of the world, outside of my own world.

Dez caught it

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”