No Off Map Air Support, artillery etc. - Ever?

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
BigKev

No Off Map Air Support, artillery etc. - Ever?

Post by BigKev »

I have played a couple Operations through as Americans (Central Slugfest and See Valley). I can see on the strategic map that there are air strikes and barrages available to me (with numbers displayed). I can't see how to assign / select them prior to a battle. When I get into the battle, these never become available and are grayed out the whole time. The only thing that does become available are flares (which don't seem to do anything at all other than 'hissss')[;)]

I have read (somewhere) that certain off amp assets do not become available until 6 or 8 minutes into the battle etc. but I am seeing that they never become available even after several 20 minute sessions on a map(?) Do we just chalk this up to weather? Or is there something I can do to get my off map assets to work?

(Between the Panzers that survive repeated side shots and the fact that American armor loses their tracks > 50% of the time, it can take up to 9 cycles to get through a single battle map!)[:(]

Some help getting my off map assets going would be appreciated.
GrognardThomas

RE: No Off Map Air Support, artillery etc. - Ever?

Post by GrognardThomas »

BigKev -
Air, Artillery and Mortar support can be assigned if available from the strategic map. You can assign support directly to a Battle Group or as an interdiction strike. For direct support, if available simply click the support from the strategic screen (lower left) and drag to the Battle Group. Or as interdiction strike, drag to the "map" you want to strike. You should see an icon (air, arty, or mortar)on the map.
Interdiction strikes occur during the move phase with results displayed in the text fields under the map. Direct strike results happen usually 6-8 minutes after assignment during the battle. Air strikes can't be conducted at night. Hopefully this helps.

Gorgnard
The Grognard
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Assign support when doing your moves. You will not be able to assign support again until ALL battles for the turn are done and you are at the next turns movement phase.

Note: any unused support is carried over to the next turn unless it is night
BigKev

Post by BigKev »

Thanks GrognardThomas. I will give it a try.

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”