dreadnought

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Cruis.In

dreadnought

Post by Cruis.In »

So in one of my advanced games I built a dreadnought (capital ship hull). Only really feasible once you can use the best of each component. Built it as big as possible. Near 1500 size.

It has, 25 or so titan beams, loads of assault/velocity shard and the usual other stuff. 8000 shields, 2200 armor. It goes between 7-8 speed @ 12 or so degrees turn rate. Has 2 fighter bays.

Put my fleet admiral on it, assumed control and now 'exploring'. Seeing whats going on in other peoples territory far up where I do not have eyes.

Only a 250 size world. But so far I've seen some empires fighting one another. I choose to help the one I like with my dreadnought. in return for them liking me I hope. I need refueling. Since I skimped on fuel. Its only 720 or so. But least it goes 36000 warp speed.

thoughts?
ehsumrell1

RE: dreadnought

Post by ehsumrell1 »

I'd reduce armor to 1000, add thrustvectors to increase turn rate to about 19 degrees at least (will help with ship battles in close quarters)and of course add more fuel tanks for range. Just my thoughts! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

k the armor is only taking up about 20 size. since i have ultra dense. and i watched the turn factor as i increased. not much of a difference. also i put on armor at the end when i couldn't get anything else on because its only 1 size.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Besides, it's just not a dreadnought without gratuitous amounts of armour! [:D]
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

I'd reduce armor to 1000, add thrustvectors to increase turn rate to about 19 degrees at least (will help with ship battles in close quarters)and of course add more fuel tanks for range. Just my thoughts! [:)]

It does?
Are not all weapons omni-directional?
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Better for escaping [;)]
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Arcatus

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

It does?
Are not all weapons omni-directional?
No Arcatus, not all. Take the Phaser Lance and the Rail Gun for an example. They fire forward of the
ship at the most about 30 degrees left or right. In addition, escaping ships can't/don't fire rearward
at the ships behind and chasing them from my observations and testing.
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

that needs fixing, the ships should fire back when retreating. defeats purpose of long range weapons.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

that needs fixing, the ships should fire back when retreating. defeats purpose of long range weapons.
I understand your viewpoint. But my opinion is (and I see this in most space simulation games especially) most weapons on spaceships are forward facing to a certain degree of range. In Distant Worlds, the only
truly effective weapon that attacks rearward is the area weapon. But unfortunately, those weapons damage
EVERY vessel around them. Torpedoes and missiles are long range but do 'track' to an extent. In Freelancer, the X3 series, even back to Descent, almost all weapons fire forward with the occasional rear firing tube or ray, or minelayer. In DW, if your maneuvering engines are better (thus having a higher/better turning radius) than who you're shooting at, you usually do more damage and win the conflict.
I believe that is what Elliot meant to portray in his idea of space combat for DW. Just my humble opinion
though and I could stand corrected! [:)]
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

well spaceships are so advanced. eh. they need turrets which can change direction haha.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”