Questions about stacking limits

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adsoul64

Questions about stacking limits

Post by adsoul64 »

I’m playing DBB mod with stacking limits and I’m trying to penetrate the quibbles of the handle of overstacking. Penalties resulting from it look clear. My doubts are about “when” overstack occurs. I seem to remember a thread stating the Stacking Limit is cumulative that I understand as Allied ground units + Japan units. If the sum exceeds SL the hex is overstacked. Unfortunately I’ve been unable to find that thread again. On the other hand looking at the Tracker I’ve the opposing feeling, i.e where I’m not suffering overstacking penalties (because my ground units are less than DL) my opponent says he’s doing. So I’m inclined to think that my stacking limit is unrelated to the my opposite’s one.
My second question is about the way guns and vehicles count against the SL. I haven’t found anything into the manual.
Many thanks to everybody
witpqs

RE: Questions about stacking limits

Post by witpqs »

No, stacking limits are per side. So a stacking limit in a hex of, say, 35,000 means the limit is 35,000 for each side. The stacking values of the other side are never considered. I know that violates the laws of physics (one day 35,000 Allied stacking value can fit there, the next day 35,000 Allied stacking value plus 35,000 Japanese stacking value can fit there!), but it's a simplification to make the game more manageable to play and maybe even to code.

When you look at the display for an LCU, you will see an area that has Troop Load Cost and Cargo Load Cost. You will also see in that same area Stacking Value. That is the number that is used. BTW I am not sure what version that display line was introduced, but you would benefit from running the latest Beta anyway as it has so many improvements and fixes.
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Thanks for your answer, so I did guess right. Please, forgive me if I have a couple of questions again.

The stacking value is always used unmodified against the stacking limit? I'm asking because I have seen in the past some stack value that doesn't match the sum of all LCU stacking values. But I could have mistyped datas.

The attached picture shows Troop Capacity in red because the limit is exceeded? Or it's related to something different (for example supply in the hex)?

Attachments
Bataan.jpg
Bataan.jpg (5.36 KiB) Viewed 75 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: adsoul64

Thanks for your answer, so I did guess right. Please, forgive me if I have a couple of questions again.

The stacking value is always used unmodified against the stacking limit? I'm asking because I have seen in the past some stack value that doesn't match the sum of all LCU stacking values. But I could have mistyped datas.

The attached picture shows Troop Capacity in red because the limit is exceeded? Or it's related to something different (for example supply in the hex)?

IIRC the Troop Capacity will be in red if the limit is exceeded. The problem I have in reading your example is that the red color on the screen pic made the text in red unreadable! So if that number in red is more than the "(45,000)", then yes, the Troop Capacity is exceeded.

BTW, I said "Stacking Value" but when I got into the game later on I noticed it is called "Stacking Cost". I'm sure you already realized that. [:D]

As far as Stacking Cost being used without modification, yes. Just add up the numbers. If there is genuinely a case where it is wrong please report it to Michael in the Tech Support area. The whole problem is that there used to only be displayed the load costs for Troops and for Cargo, as an aid for when the player planned on how much shipping was needed to move a unit. Players soon realized that those numbers could not be used to figure out how much a unit would contribute to stacking. That value was in the scenario database (for each device, and they get added up to arrive at the number for each unit, maybe disabled squads/devices count less - I don't know) but was not displayed by the program. Upon request the Tracker guys made Tracker display it, and later on Michael worked it into AE as well. In other words, the whole point of the "Stacking Cost" display is that it is the actual number for that unit. Add up all the units in a hex/at a base, and that is the total. With stacking so critical it's a major, major, help to have that number displayed.
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Great, now I got it. And obviously Excel is to blame [8|]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: adsoul64

Great, now I got it. And obviously Excel is to blame [8|]
What? [&:]
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

It's a rule of thumb. When I miss a calculation, it's MS Excel who made it wrong, not me [;)]
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

I usually blame my girlfriend, but excel works fine as well
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

I don't have any reason to blame your girlfriend and the mine is used to work with scalpels, so I guess I will stay with Excel [:D]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I blame the dog, been using that line since grade-school and seems to work.... "Honest Ms. Smith, the dog ate my homework!"....
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I have many pens and pencils that can't spell worth a damn! My keyboard too... [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”