few things bothering me

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
inquisiteur

few things bothering me

Post by inquisiteur »

Just started the game, a few things that bother me:

1. The fog is an annoyance. Its like a white filter on the map, very ugly and you have to deal with it on half of the maps of the game
--> can we deactivate it ?

2. Where is the bottom team window ? I used it to select the team I want to operate instead of scrolling through my units with the map, our through the zoom out view

3. It seems that, although the maps grew bigger, the terrain you can now see on your screen in normal zoom seem to have decreaed by half. I am saying that even if I play at the highest resolution (1920 x 1080.)
Is there a way to increase the "field of view" ?

4. The color palette seem inferiour to the one used in Wacht Am Rhein, but my eyes may be playing tricks to me.

5. Music is non existent Before it was non existent too, but the sound of distant firefight was way better than what we have now. There is a feel of emptiness with the current "music".

6. Is there a way to modulate the arrow pad sensiblity ? scrolling the map with the mouse is ok, but with the pad its extremely clunky. You have to maintain the button pressed for more than 1 second for the screen to start to scroll.

7. Maybe its a bug, the difficulty gauge (Allied vs Axis) when selecting a map is always the same (50/50)

I noticed several enhancements, so dont take me wrong, Im just listing here what bothered my at my first play
SteveMcClaire

RE: few things bothering me

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Thanks for your feedback.

There is not currently a way to turn off the fog effect. We may add one at some point, based on customer feedback, though.

The team list is toggled with F5, and appears (by default) on the left side of the screen. It is oriented vertically now, rather than stacked horizontally across the bottom.

The increased graphical scale does reduce the area in view by about 30%, pixel per pixel. But it allows everything to be displayed at the same scale and with a higher level of graphical detail. The only way to 'zoom out' is to use the magnifying glass icon to switch to the Overview Map.

New music plays at most of the game screens, so I am guessing you mean music in battle? There are also in-battle ambient sounds (distant battle)
but they only play from time to time.

There is no way to directly change just the arrow key scroll speed. The game scroll speed setting effects both the mouse and keyboard scrolling. There's no feature to increase the 'key repeat' rate that causes the fast keyboard scrolling in-game.

The 'gauge' reflects (primarily) the effects of your game settings on the two sides in the game. If you adjust game difficulty for one side or the other, this will change.
PKH

Post by PKH »

You can use shift + left mouse button to drag the map though, which is good.

I'd like an option to always display the nato symbols and/or names to make my units easier to see. Additionaly, a shortcut to toggle the zoomed out map and having the unit panels available in zoomed out mode. Also tooltips with weapon names when hovering over weapons in the unit selection would be nice.

An option for the fog, would be to have it visible at the start, then fade it out after a couple of seconds so we are aware that it's foggy but it doesn't impair the visuals.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

ORIGINAL: PKH
I'd like an option to always display the nato symbols and/or names to make my units easier to see. Additionaly, a shortcut to toggle the zoomed out map and having the unit panels available in zoomed out mode.
Selection the Team Info Icons options will always display the Nato symbols. Agree that a shortcut to toggle the overview map would be useful. Less of the tactical map is visible given the change in map scale, so its necessary to zoom out more often. The CTRL+U toggle to remove all the monitors from tactical view is a welcome addition.

Attachments
Options.jpg
Options.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 151 times
WoT

Post by WoT »

Less of the tactical map is visible given the change in map scale

hmmm.. sure effects situational awareness... feels a bit like playing in 1997 on low res screen.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Just wanted to point out that in the options screen you can toggle on and off the "Display Timer and Morale" now!

That is a good change but could be even better if it was part of the realism settings....
xe5

Post by xe5 »

ORIGINAL: WoT
hmmm.. sure effects situational awareness... feels a bit like playing in 1997 on low res screen.
SA is given a small boost with the ghosting effect used on the icons marking recently spotted enemy teams on all 3 map views (tac, mini & overview). These gradually fade from view 0-30 secs after LOS is lost to the enemy team.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

I'm finding that the team monitor window is closing when I switch between the zoom out/in maps.
Dowly

Post by Dowly »

My biggest issue is with the new info layout. I dont understand why it was changed, as it has worked just fine for all these years.

In previous games, I could just glance at the bottom to get all the info I needed during combat. Now, I cant.

I know you can move the components around, but I'm still yet to find a setup that works even close to the old layout.
Bison36

Post by Bison36 »

I think I liked the unit window better at the bottom better with a horizontal layout.

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”