Which WW1 wargame to buy?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Gizuria

Which WW1 wargame to buy?

Post by Gizuria »

I have been keeping track of the new Commander The Great War game and I noticed that there are also two other WW1 wargames available here; The Guns of August and the AEGOD WW1 Gold games. Now, the more detail and complexity a game has the better for me, particularly with respect to combat resolution. Which one offers the best and most authentic WW1 experience for a grog?
wodin

RE: Which WW1 wargame to buy?

Post by wodin »

I have played GOA and WW1 Gold but only read AARs of Commander. So going by that I think if your after a indepth game that hits WW1 perfectly then go for WW1 Gold (it's probably my favourite grand Strategy game). However if your after a fun quick playing game then it looks like Commander is the game to go for.

GOA is a good game aswell but doesn't reach the strides of WW1Gold.

There is also SCWW1 which I've played the demo of and it's a game I'd prob buy over Commander only because it's more tactical due to having alot more units, though this will also mean it's not as quick to play as Commander.

As you want detail and complexity, it has to be WW1 Gold.

I'm sure many will say Commander as it does look good and a fun game, however it isn't really what your looking for but WW1 Gold is. I'm a WW1 obsessive and the way the combat works in WW1 Gold is to be honest genius the way it recreates the warfare of the period.

Go to the AGEOD forums and have a read. It's still having the odd little patch even today aswell.
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Hi.

My vote would be for Commander having tried the Ageod offering. Commander is deceptively deep and simulates a WW! feel with unique challenges on all the fronts.

The AI is also excellent.

Just my opinion........

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
berto

Post by berto »

Between WWI Gold and CtGW, which recreates the WWI experience most accurately and plausibly?

I'm not talking about scale, or detail, or graphics or "atmosphere" or anything else. Rather, which game "takes me there" and provides, from the top down, the most realistic "feel" for the conflict? (No fantasy, please.)
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Strategic Command: WWI has a demo. You can check it out.

Also, on tactical level, there's a new Squad Battles game. I haven't played it but it has quite interesting designer's notes.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Again all i can say is I'm a WW1 obsessive..have a huge WW1 library. WW1 Gold hits the nail on the head. It isn't as easy to play as the Commander game though, but your asking for a complex game.

I think the WW1 gold manual is around to download somewhere..have a read..it's a big one and will give you an idea on how deep the game is.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Does it have a demo? What makes it worth playing according to you? What are its mechanics like?
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Again all i can say is I'm a WW1 obsessive..have a huge WW1 library. WW1 Gold hits the nail on the head ...

My two issues with that game is (1) it's graphics are unnecessarilly resource intensive and (2) that the English in-game messages are from badly translated French, although the English manual reads well.

Despite the above, it was a good sim, esp. its depiction of naval warfare, although I never quite mastered it.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: gfyfc

I have the same question  with u [&:]

/Reported as spam, it's in his profile.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: Fascist Dog

I have been keeping track of the new Commander The Great War game and I noticed that there are also two other WW1 wargames available here; The Guns of August and the AEGOD WW1 Gold games. Now, the more detail and complexity a game has the better for me, particularly with respect to combat resolution. Which one offers the best and most authentic WW1 experience for a grog?

I've never played AGEOD's offering, and on Wodins recommendation I am going to have a look.
Guns of August is hugely under-rated, and CTGW is a great game, although on reflection I think the Serbian Army is a little overpowered.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

parusski

Post by parusski »

Go with Commander - The Great War. It is a lot fun. I beta tested for over a year, and when I was offered a discount for my time and effort I turned that down and paid full price. The AI is impressive, it is always surprising me and ruining my best laid plans. And I agree with JameyCribbs about the greatness of the tech. system.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: parusski

Go with Commander - The Great War. It is a lot fun. I beta tested for over a year, and when I was offered a discount for my time and effort I turned that down and paid full price. The AI is impressive, it is always surprising me and ruining my best laid plans. And I agree with JameyCribbs about the greatness of the tech. system.

I am recommending parusski to the Pope for beatification for turning down his discount...Good Man!!!

I had the beta copy for review purposes, and liked the game so much I bought a copy 2 days after release.

Like parusski, I wholeheartedly recommend it. 9/10.

( Although Guns of August is great too!! )
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

wodin

Post by wodin »

I know you all love Commander..but FacistDog is a proper grognard..and he is asking for something that Commander isn't, thats a complex game.

Also after looking at AAR's it's more an abstract WW1 game than a true WW1 game..WW1Gold has alot of mechanics that keep it on the WW1 track including having todo big offensive during the year and planning for that it also gets combat down to a tee..and is at corps level so isn't as abstract as Commander. He wants a game thats detailed and complex when it comes to combat and WW1Gold has that over Commander.

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Empire101
ORIGINAL: parusski

I am recommending parusski to the Pope for beatification for turning down his discount...Good Man!!!

I had the beta copy for review purposes, and liked the game so much I bought a copy 2 days after release.

Like parusski, I wholeheartedly recommend it. 9/10.

Thanks son Empire101. You will someday stand in my stables. I also meant to give the game a rating and it is...9/10/

I have seen and heard complaints from beta testers before about not getting a hefty discount, (or even getting the game free)and that amazes me. IT is an honor to test a game. And you get all that extra free gaming in...some people. The experience of watching the game evolve, and throwing in a few suggestions, made an offer of a discount worth nothing to ME. ME that is, if you beta tested and could really afford those few extra dollars off, then by all means take the discount.

This offer is unique and kind hearted. I want to thank the folks at Matrix and Sltithere
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
radic202

Post by radic202 »

As part of the beta team for Commander: The great War (can mention it now as the game is released!) I must say it is a very good game. Hard as heck trying to dislodge entrenched units but fun nonetheless.

My biggest disappointment was the fact that the Canadian Military was not present at all as part of a playable part of the game. We were, like the Aussies in Turkey, Kiwis, East Indians, South Africans all bunched in with the Brits. Now I have nothing against the UK Units but Canada played a vital and very crucial role in WW1 that actually defined us as a true and true Nation but somehow the Devs decided that it was not important enough to single Canadians out for the valiant wins in Pashendale, Vimy Ridge Ypres etc...They did, only after I complained added a Volunteer Canadian Unit that you needed to transport from Canada overseas even though Canadian Generals were available for placement to our British Units directly from the very start of the war. To me a huge Historical flaw. Hence why I am still on the fence about purchasing it and I usually buy everything I can from Slitherine/Matrix. Probably will buy it eventually and this is more than likely completely bias on my part as well! The Devs can only do what they can with the tools they have but again many WW2 Games on the Eastern Front have Romanian, Croatian and Italian troops present, so I find it frustrating that Canada is not even mentioned.

But game wise, the game is a blast and well worth all your time and effort. I love the fact that you play the entire entente vs the Allies (depending of the scenario you chose) form Belgium to the middle east all at the same time. A good choice if looking for a WW1 Game.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

We understand the argument and agree these nations played a huge part in the war but its not practical from a gameplay point of view to add Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India etc as nations. They all played their part and each nation would argue their part was vital but by adding a nation you require them to have their own build queue, research tree, man power pool, ammo supply. It just wouldn't work. To satisfy a small minority we'd be completely breaking the game and we're not going to do that and I'm sure you can see why.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

We understand the argument and agree these nations played a huge part in the war but its not practical from a gameplay point of view to add Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India etc as nations. They all played their part and each nation would argue their part was vital but by adding a nation you require them to have their own build queue, research tree, man power pool, ammo supply. It just wouldn't work. To satisfy a small minority we'd be completely breaking the game and we're not going to do that and I'm sure you can see why.

warspite1

Iain isn't there a compromise though? Not to have these as separate nations, but to enhance the counters in some future patch so that there is more detail on the counter. There is a thread started with suggestions. So a counter or two (whatever is the correct number) will still be British Green, will still be subject to British production etc, but there will be something to denote that it is a Canadian Army (purely cosmetic).

Just a thought - I hope radic202 buys the game - its brilliant - but I do understand where he's coming from.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I think I misunderstood and thought a full separate nation was what was being requested so apologies. Yes those type of things can be done but only with units starting on the map so they are very much lip service. They do add a nice bit of flavour but would be quite a lot of work.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

I think I misunderstood and thought a full separate nation was what was being requested so apologies. Yes those type of things can be done but only with units starting on the map so they are very much lip service. They do add a nice bit of flavour but would be quite a lot of work.
warspite1

Iain I do not know if that is what radic202 was proposing or not - but assumed it was a separate nation alternative - hence I said compromise. As I say, end of the day, imo these are nice things to have in what is already a thoroughly enjoyable, engrossing game that I would recommend to anyone.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “General Discussion”