Kamikaze Defense

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Gridley380

Kamikaze Defense

Post by Gridley380 »

OK, looking for some feedback on whether I'm deploying my CV force as well as I can, 'cause I just got hammered by a Kamikaze attack.

Here's what I did:
Fleet composition: seven air combat TF, all in one hex (planned to spread them over two hexes but had 'follow' problems)
TF composition: 15 ships per TF, 2 CV or 1 CV and 3 CVL ea, 8 (Fletcher) DD ea, balance CA/CL (no Omahas). All ships are fully upgraded.
Air groups: full of F6F-3's. Average pilot experience 60+, air skill 70+. Lady Lex's VF-2 are all at 75+ EXP. :-)
CAP settings: two or more groups set every 5,000ft from 5,000ft to 30,000ft. From reading the CAP thread it seems like I would have done better to focus on the lower altitudes. Set for 40% CAP. Fatigue is 15 or less.

Luck, of course, always plays a major role and manifests in various ways (weather, die rolls, etc.). I cringe when it happens but I accept that. What I'm asking is whether there's something else I could or should have done? Different TF composition, perhaps including my fast BB's? Different CAP altitudes? Higher CAP percentage and accept higher fatigue? Swap out some Hellcats for Corsairs? Something else?

Thanks!
Bullwinkle58

RE: Kamikaze Defense

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

OK, looking for some feedback on whether I'm deploying my CV force as well as I can, 'cause I just got hammered by a Kamikaze attack.

Here's what I did:
Fleet composition: seven air combat TF, all in one hex (planned to spread them over two hexes but had 'follow' problems)
TF composition: 15 ships per TF, 2 CV or 1 CV and 3 CVL ea, 8 (Fletcher) DD ea, balance CA/CL (no Omahas). All ships are fully upgraded.
Air groups: full of F6F-3's. Average pilot experience 60+, air skill 70+. Lady Lex's VF-2 are all at 75+ EXP. :-)
CAP settings: two or more groups set every 5,000ft from 5,000ft to 30,000ft. From reading the CAP thread it seems like I would have done better to focus on the lower altitudes. Set for 40% CAP. Fatigue is 15 or less.

Luck, of course, always plays a major role and manifests in various ways (weather, die rolls, etc.). I cringe when it happens but I accept that. What I'm asking is whether there's something else I could or should have done? Different TF composition, perhaps including my fast BB's? Different CAP altitudes? Higher CAP percentage and accept higher fatigue? Swap out some Hellcats for Corsairs? Something else?

Thanks!

Where were you?
What's the date?
What model kamis did you mmet? Numbers?

The best defense is bomb the factories to rubble. Then bounce the rubble. Then burn it. Nuking it should be on the table.
The Moose
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Agree; hit them at their base and blow them up before they take off. Once they're in the air you are going to take losses. I have found having a good # of BB's and CA's in the CVTF often causes the kamikazes to split their attacks from the CV's, and the armored ships can take more hits and still float.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Agree; hit them at their base and blow them up before they take off. Once they're in the air you are going to take losses. I have found having a good # of BB's and CA's in the CVTF often causes the kamikazes to split their attacks from the CV's, and the armored ships can take more hits and still float.

Yep. As I was making my silly joke I forgot to say there's nothing better after a great CAP (more than 40%) than the modern BBs with full AA upgrades. Even if they don't destroy many they really mess up the aim.
The Moose
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

You cant beat the kamikazis, once the JFB gets serious the numbers are just too great [:@].

At least you dont have CVE around, they have a magnet somewhere between the magazines and boilers that the kamis are attracted to.

My approach has been to sit off shore about 6-8 hexes and smash them at long range (for them) I tried a few CVE TF a few hexes further out covering with LRCAP but an Emily or Betty can upset this tactic.

When you can, hit their airfields, B29's are useful here.

Rotate your CVTF until things get quiet and be ready to rush in and grab whatever you are after.

Kami are a good arguement for a Kuriles approach which allows LB air support.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, unfortunately Allied naval AA is just to anemic to stop kamis. (In stock) As said before put BBs into the TF, they will soak up hits. A lot of corsairs will help out as well. The Allies increased the number of fighters on their carriers as a counter to the kami threat. But basically you will just have to accept that they are going to be more effective and plan accordingly.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Besides the suggestions already made, Kamis are in my opinion one of the few things
that justify low cost pickets. Nothing hurts more than your trained Kami unit throwing
itself into a lonesome SC or even AKL deck.

If your honor cannot bear it, use DDs as pickets before you get into range with
high value assets.

Kamikaze is one of the things in game where I don´t know where to put it. Every well playing
Japanese player will have Kami pilots available Japane could only dream of. Kamis were
at 95% young men who were barely able to keep a fighter plane airborne. There were some
exceptions, as for example Sakai´s kamikaze mission, but those were rare.

History never showed what it means to have a huge ammount of trained but suicidal
pilots available, but this might also simply be because downfall never happened...
Interesting but difficult topic IMHO, the Kamikaze.
perkinh

Post by perkinh »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Besides the suggestions already made, Kamis are in my opinion one of the few things
that justify low cost pickets. Nothing hurts more than your trained Kami unit throwing

high value assets.

Kamikaze is one of the things in game where I don´t know where to put it. Every well playing
Japanese player will have Kami pilots available Japane could only dream of. Kamis were
at 95% young men who were barely able to keep a fighter plane airborne. There were some

History never showed what it means to have a huge ammount of trained but suicidal
pilots available, but this might also simply be because downfall never happened...

Much agreed about the experienced pilots statement. I used it as a last defense, as i viewed it actually was, and the poor pilots got slaughtered. The experience of the pilots is the biggest factor i believe, but i just couldn't bring myself to put pilots with a fighting chance into suicide planes, so i just basicly wasted the airframes with sucky pilots.
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine
Wally Wilson

Post by Wally Wilson »

This is from Wikipedia...

"Approximately 2,800 Kamikaze attackers sunk 34 Navy ships, damaged 368 others, killed 4,900 sailors, and wounded over 4,800. Despite radar detection and cuing, airborne interception and attrition, and massive anti-aircraft barrages, a distressing 14 percent of Kamikazes survived to score a hit on a ship; nearly 8.5 percent of all ships hit by Kamikazes sank."
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Wally Wilson

This is from Wikipedia...

"Approximately 2,800 Kamikaze attackers sunk 34 Navy ships, damaged 368 others, killed 4,900 sailors, and wounded over 4,800. Despite radar detection and cuing, airborne interception and attrition, and massive anti-aircraft barrages, a distressing 14 percent of Kamikazes survived to score a hit on a ship; nearly 8.5 percent of all ships hit by Kamikazes sank."

While I am no friend of Wikipedia when it comes to such topics. Wow. 14%? I thought it to be much less.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

high value assets.

Is that how Sakai got to be an ace? By flying five successful Kamikaze missions? [X(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

We do need a sarcasm smiley dont we.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

high value assets.

That is in fact what happened on a number of occasions. (One DD's crew got so tired of being the target of kamikaze attacks that they put a large arrow on the deck with a sign reading "Carriers this way".)
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yep, I will have no guilt cap trapping kamis with DEs and Pfs. Perhaps send a couple of SCs in. Otherwise, your carriers are just going to eat it.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

Thanks for your comments, folks!

FYI to those asking, I was doing a 'recon in force' to see what would happen when my carrier force encountered kamikazes. NE of the Marianas, mid-44.

Next time will, I hope, be different.
fodder

Post by fodder »

A bit late, but....

Attachments
07.jpg
07.jpg (79.59 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

What skills are important to Kamikaze - low nav??? High Nav maybe search?

cav.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

Thanks for your comments, folks!

FYI to those asking, I was doing a 'recon in force' to see what would happen when my carrier force encountered kamikazes. NE of the Marianas, mid-44.

Next time will, I hope, be different.

A long time ago in an AI game I decided to do a little "experiment" of my own. Here are some of the results, posted in the forum at the time:
-----------------------------
"In my on-going experimentation with my late-war game, "just to see", I decided to challenge the HI kami force with three CV TFs, all in the same hex, CAP at 60, late-war fighters with pilots at 70-80 for the most part.

Below is an edited/chopped down combat report, all from 7 July 1945. For all you guys still in the early war, this is just to give an idea of the carnage possible, even in mid-summer 1945, with the AI losing several divisions a week ashore, all of Indo-China, Malaysia gone, Hong Kong and the PI 100% taken, the merchant marine reduced to under 20 hulls, etc.

Again, I did this as an experiment, but it still is useful learning. The AI NEVER gives up. I haven't totaled up the exchanges, but I think I shot down at least 500-700 planes. They kept on coming. On some attacks I had EIGHT of those red vector lines back to their bases, all coming for my precious carriers.

I thought of rolling back to an earlier save, but didn't. The Russians activate in three weeks, and I want to see how I do with no carriers.

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 160 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 53 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 75
A6M3 Zero x 32
A6M3a Zero x 9
A6M5b Zero x 47
A6M5c Zero x 171
A7M2 Sam x 30
B6N1 Jill x 36
B6N2a Jill x 25
B7A2 Grace x 23
D3A2 Val x 21
D4Y2 Judy x 17
D4Y3 Judy x 21
D4Y4 Judy x 78
N1K1-J George x 16
N1K2-J George x 32
P1Y2 Frances x 13
Q1W1 Lorna x 3
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 5
Ki-27b Nate x 54
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 61
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 23
Ki-43-IIIa Oscar x 8
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 32
Ki-45 KAIc Nick x 3
Ki-84a Frank x 55
Ki-84b Frank x 33
Ki-84r Frank x 30
Ki-93-Ia x 3
Ki-100-I Tony x 41

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 230
F6F-5 Hellcat x 247

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 45 destroyed
A6M3 Zero: 15 destroyed
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M5b Zero: 18 destroyed
A6M5c Zero: 17 destroyed
B6N1 Jill: 24 destroyed
B6N2a Jill: 17 destroyed
B7A2 Grace: 14 destroyed
D3A2 Val: 10 destroyed
D4Y2 Judy: 11 destroyed
D4Y3 Judy: 15 destroyed
D4Y4 Judy: 26 destroyed, 1 damaged
N1K1-J George: 2 destroyed
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed
P1Y2 Frances: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
Q1W1 Lorna: 1 destroyed
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-27b Nate: 4 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 19 destroyed
Ki-43-IIb Oscar: 7 destroyed
Ki-43-IV Oscar: 8 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIc Nick: 1 destroyed
Ki-84a Frank: 8 destroyed
Ki-84r Frank: 11 destroyed
Ki-100-I Tony: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5 Hellcat: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Lake Champlain, Kamikaze hits 19, and is sunk
CV Randolph, Kamikaze hits 23, and is sunk
CV Intrepid, Kamikaze hits 10, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Bunker Hill, Kamikaze hits 6, on fire
CV Bon Homme Richard, Kamikaze hits 21, and is sunk
DD Talbot, Kamikaze hits 2, and is sunk
DE Spangler, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
DE Willmarth, Kamikaze hits 3, and is sunk
DD McCook, Kamikaze hits 4, and is sunk
DE Gunason, Kamikaze hits 4, and is sunk
DE Lawrence C. Taylor, Kamikaze hits 2, and is sunk
DE Dennis, Kamikaze hits 7, and is sunk
DE Lamons, Kamikaze hits 1, and is sunk
DE Connolly, Kamikaze hits 2, and is sunk
DE Leslie L. B. Knox, Kamikaze hits 2, and is sunk
DE Jobb, Kamikaze hits 5, and is sunk
DE Charles J. Kimmel, Kamikaze hits 2, and is sunk
DE Cecil J. Doyle, Kamikaze hits 4, and is sunk
DE Eisele, Kamikaze hits 4, and is sunk
DD Ross "

tm.asp?m=2503498&mpage=1&key=kamis&#2503811

if you want to see the follow-on attacks.
The Moose
tk208

Post by tk208 »

On the subject guys, do all kami's do the same damage or is it relative to size/bombload?

Cheers.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: tk208

On the subject guys, do all kami's do the same damage or is it relative to size/bombload?

Cheers.

All kamis don't do the same damage. Weapons carried have some effect, but I don't think what has ever been revealed. There are randoms involved of course. Size and weapons load has to be traded off with speed and maneuverability in the kami ever getting to the point of impact.
The Moose

Return to “The War Room”