Bob Flemin's AAR se!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

warspite1

Bob Flemin's AAR se!

Post by warspite1 »

Okay - hopefully someone will tell me how to post a screen shot, but in the meantime I am about to start a game. Apart from mucking about for an hour earlier I am completely new to the game and game type so I do not expect the game to last too long. Any obvious, glaring errors, I would greatly appreciate if you could please let me know!

Me: Entente Allies (I will refer to as Allies, and the other side as the Axis)
Strength: Balanced
Scenario 1914 - The Great War (but just hoping to get to the end of 1914 with Paris intact).
Display Options - all enabled
Controls - all enabled except Double Mouse Buttons
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

RE: Bob Flemin's AAR se!

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 1 - 23rd July 1914

I have lost my Serbian Garrison troops two hexes west of Belgrade.

My turn!

Production: I figure I just need to survive with the Serbs so I buy 2 Garrison Units - which are all I can afford.

Research: What happened there? I clicked Industrial Warfare and then focus...mmmm not sure what that is about.

Diplomacy: Nothing much happening there. I can declare war on a few nations apprently. I think I'm in enough trouble so will leave that.

Management: I can't seem to do too much in this screen. Stockpiles are at nil, but i have a positive balance (income?) of 9 so that looks okay... I think.

Movement - I put the Garrison north of Skopje into Nis and end the turn.....

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 2 - 30th July 1914

The Austro-Hungarians are massing on Serbia's northwestern border but have not attacked this turn while they repair losses from their initial attack.

Production: Both my Garrison units are now available. I place one south of Belgrade and the second northwest of Nis on the rail line. There is some forest behind a river east of Belgrade that looks decent defensive territory for these two. I do not have enough points to buy a further garrison unit (I have 9 and need 10), but I repair my garrison southwest of Belgrade at a cost of two points to bring him back up to strength.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 3 - 6th August 1914

Ohhh errr missus. Germany has declared war and attacked France and Belgium. Brussels has taken a right pasting.... Back to that in a mo..

...meanwhile back in sunny Serbia....

The Austrians attacked the Garrison southwest of Belgrade and reduced the unit to a "5", taking "4" hits themselves.

I switch the depleted unit for the unit I placed on the map the previous turn, and bring the depleted garrison back up to "7".

I purchase a further garrison unit to defend Nis next turn, moving the two garrisons northwest to defend the river line southeast of Belgrade.

I leave the Serbian front at that.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 3 - 6th August 1914

Okay back to where the real action is....France and Belgium.

I don't think the Belgians are in this for the long haul so just need to delay the Kaiser. I buy a garrison unit and spend three points repairing the unit in Brussels. That's about it for the Belgians I'm afraid.

France... what the hell do I do with these boys??

May be I should take the long term approach and build cavalry or artillery.. but the French line looks thin. I buy a garrison and infantry unit instead.

Research I go for Barbed Wire and Focus (whatever that means - hope its good).

In terms of movement, I stick a garrison into Verdun and otherwise shuffle the French line northwards to try and plug the glaring gap between Verdun and Brussels. Ou est les Angles? or something like that anyway...

Last thing I try is to use my fighter to worry the German army menacing Brussels.. but to no effect all round.

Okay lets see what the Germans can do, but first a screenshot or two.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Here is how the western front looks now:

Attachments
ctgw_1352844756.jpg
ctgw_1352844756.jpg (127.84 KiB) Viewed 397 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

..and the Balkans...

Attachments
ctgw_1352846030.jpg
ctgw_1352846030.jpg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 396 times

balto

Post by balto »

Warspite,

I am just as unaware of what to do with this as you are. Care for a match?

I do not care which side because I have no idea how this works, I only goof around with Serbia then go into about turn 5 and start over trying to figure a few basics out. I imagine that it takes more brains to be the CP because you have to be aggressive as in the real WW 1, but how the game handles this.., I have no idea.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Unlikely your "fighter" will do much. Planes didn't have weapons or bombs at this stage of the war. I presume you have to use it for recon. The Germans will be coming through Belgium I expect. If it's based historically then you should be geared up for an attack into Alsace lorraine but thats upto you. The Brits will arrive soon but not many of them..use them for your left flank. In the War the Germans pushed all the way to the Marne and very close to Paris before a counter attack brought them to a halt..then it was a race (called the Race to the Sea)to flank which pushed both sides back upto the coast.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: balto

Warspite,

I am just as unaware of what to do with this as you are. Care for a match?

I do not care which side because I have no idea how this works, I only goof around with Serbia then go into about turn 5 and start over trying to figure a few basics out. I imagine that it takes more brains to be the CP because you have to be aggressive as in the real WW 1, but how the game handles this.., I have no idea.
Warspite1

PM sent

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 4 - 13th August 1914

Artillery Technology is available - I'll have to check that out.
Great Britain joined the Allies - hussah!!
French and Serbian garrison units now available.

Belgium

Zut alors! Brussels has fallen and production capacity lost. Just an armoured car unit in Antwerp left for the Belgians....

France

I do not know whether to put my garrison reinforcement in Calais or keep with the bulk of the French army to try and avoid destruction in detail. I go for the later and hope the British Army can hold the Germans in the north.

I do more shuffling of troops to gradually try and close the gap north of Verdun. No attacks from me this turn I think.

I purchase a cavalry unit, although this will take 3 turns to arrive.

Not sure what the Research stuff is all about. I click on the howitzer and focus.

Great Britain

I put an army on board a transport in London, I send an army to Southampton to board a transport next turn. I send my cruisers to sea. Not sure why yet. I move my submarine toward the Baltic.

Research I go for the howitzer and anti-aircraft....

Back to Serbia

The Austrians attack my garrison unit southwest of Belgrade, but they have taken some casualties in so doing.

I put my newly arrived garrison in Nis and repair my two garrisons as best I can. The vulnerable unit southwest of Belgrade is up to level 8...just need him to survive next turn.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 5 - 20th August 1914

Damn I have to go to work.... Russia join the war.

I will look at what the Axis did now and then hopefully do the Allied Turn 5 this evening.

Serbia

The Austrians did attack my Garrison but failed to dislodge it. That front seems to be holding up okay.

Belgium

No attack on Antwerp. The Germans have bypassed it....

France

The Germans have gone for Calais - I wonder if I should have put my garrison in there?
A couple of attacks elsewhere on the French, but I should be able to repair those.
The British seem to take forever - one turn to get on the transport, another to travel to France, and a third to unload [&:]

Russia

Nothing to report here.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Warspite I tried to give some advice further up (if the game does play historically that is).
Myrddraal

Post by Myrddraal »

A couple of tips:
As wodin said, fighters are not much use in the early war. They are unable to do any damage to enemy units (although they can reduce enemy efficiency). Right now what you probably need most is boots on the ground, i.e. infantry and garrisons. As you've noticed, it takes a while for the British to mobilise. Your forces are well entrenched in Alsace Lorraine, your priority should be to try to protect your flank to the north.

It may be too late, but if you can, garrison your key vulnerable cities, and shift your forces north. If you have spare cash (I know that's not likely) it might be worth investing in rail capacity for the French, to allow you to redeploy your forces from the south to the north more easily.

I wouldn't bother trying to attack in the south, you have bigger fish to fry.

If the Germans have bypassed Antwerp, you can keep it supplied from the sea. A fully supplied fortress on the coast behind the German flank will be a major thorn in their side, and may force them to hold back on the advance.
wodin

Post by wodin »

^^I agree...
balto

Post by balto »

Based on my limited exposure to about turn 10-12.., do not get cocky on the Eastern Front. I was terrorizing Prussia and I took both cities! Then out of the German frontier and AH.., a giant army came at me. My entire Russian force is basically gone. Then Turkey jumps in.., holy crap!!!

And the British, I miscalculated and could not afford the forces I created, so watch out for that.

Also, do not go after the AH navy with the French and British Med fleet.., they will crush you in their home waters.

Serbia seems easy to hold.., sort of easy.

I will restart the scenario tonight. I think I am going to do as advised and just buy units and hunker down.

Then I am going to be the CP and see what I can figure out what their strengths are. Looking forward to the rest of your AAR.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 5 - 20th August 1914

Great Britain

I continue to move my sub to the Baltic and generally fart around with my cruisers (they must have a use).

I buy another infantry - nothing much else I can afford.

France

I have expanded railroad capacity and repaired an infantry unit. More possible mistakes though [:@]. I mis-judged the number of unit I had. I have tried to form a line behind the Seine and left a great big gap in the hex west of Verdun....

Serbia

I have increased ammo production and swapped my two garrison units to bring the front line up to strength and repaired to 8 value the reserve garrison.

Russia

I have bought an Infantry and a Garrison.

I form a line south of Brest-Litovsk and also bring my units behind the River Bug.

Right let's see what happens next....

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 6 -3rd September 1914

Naval Research is available - hurrah! [:)]

Warsaw was made mincemeat of.... hurrooo [:(]

Relatively quiet in France. The Boche have left Calais - obviously only interested in visiting the supermarche and stocking up on cheap plonk...

My Serbian garrison took a pounding southwest of Belgrade - the AH love that hex - and generally look to outflank me in the west.

So what does one do now?

Great Britain

My sub is almost in the Baltic - good work boys.

My newly designated 1st Army lands east of Rouen, while my second transport heads for Calais.

France

My shiny new Infantry reinforcement is placed in the gap I left west of Verdun.

I can't buy anything decent with the British or French so just try and save some cash.

Serbia

The usual game of swap the Garrison and repair to ensure I have full strength units in the front line.

Russia

I have a new Garrison unit that I place on the Turkish border just in case. I buy a Garrison and a Cavalry for the Russians and sit and wait the onslaught...

There is no attacking going on for the Allies, but I think that is the best policy. We'll see.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 7 - 17th September 1914

Ouch! Jane, you're hurting me!

France

The insatiable Germans are back in Calais, but worse than that, their fleet just attacked and badly hurt one of my cruisers off said French port.

That aside, France was fairly quiet.

Serbia

Not much happened here - one attack that seemed to hurt AH more than the Serbs [:)]

Russia

However, this looks distinctly unpleasant....what the hell do I do here??

Attachments
ctgw_1352922437.jpg
ctgw_1352922437.jpg (126.18 KiB) Viewed 397 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 7 - 17th September 1914

Great Britain

My sub makes the Baltic - lets hope he does some damage!

I bring the Grand Fleet south to try and stop the escape of the High Seas Fleet. But they cannot make the journey in one go. Do I attack with my cruisers or what? I down a gallon of rum and go for it. Yes!! My 2nd cruiser counter destroys the High Seas Fleet!! Happy Days are here again la la la la la etc [8D] God Bless the Royal Navy. I send my damaged unit back to London for some repair work.

Waste of a turn with 2nd Army though, the German unit in Calais means that he has to head for Rouen to unload next turn.

The new 3rd Army is placed in Southampton and I build a Garrison.

France

France gets a Cavalry which I place north of Paris. I purchase another Infantry.

Serbia

I repair two weakened Garrisons but otherwise leave as is.

Russia

I place my Garrison reinforcement southeast of Brest-Litovsk but I really do not know what I am doing here.

I have a bad feeling 'bout this

Return to “After Action Reports”