1.03 Strategic Movement Bug

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: doomtrader

Omnius

1.03 Strategic Movement Bug

Post by Omnius »

I found that in the 1.03 beta version that I can strategically move air units without it costing an SMP's. [X(] As Britain I first noticed this apparent bug when I strategically moved a tactical bomber from England to Egypt and noticed that I still had 10 out of 10 SMP's left. In other words that SMP move of my tac bomber didn't cost a single SMP. Yeah I had to have 10 SMP so I could make the move but I should have had to pay the ten SMP cost. Apparently the program is correct in assessing how much SMP is needed to strategically move figheters and tactical bombers but it never actually forces the counmtry to pay the cost. I checked this many times with other countries like Germany where I SM'd fighters from the coast of France near Dunkirk to near El Alamein in Egypt, I could move over ten fighter units without it ever costing me a single point of SMP.

I certainly hope that this very apparent SMP bug is fixed soon as this certainly is a way to cheat the system. I can't believe this was intentional. I have a hard time believing that this problem hasn't been noticed and reported before. I know the AI doesn't know this trick since I've seen the American AI always leave fighters and tactical bombers in the USA rather than SM'ing them to Europe.
Omnius
doomtrader

RE: 1.03 Strategic Movement Bug

Post by doomtrader »

We have never claimed that strategically redeploying Air units costs any SMP.
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

We have never claimed that strategically redeploying Air units costs any SMP.

doomtrader,
You also never claimed that strategic moving air units was free, there was always the fact that one needed a certain number of SMP before being able to strategically move air units. This is truly absurd, it makes a total mockery of having individual air units. What a joke allowing countries to strategically move their whole air forces around the huge map without any cost. Why even bother with minimum SMP costs if you don't have some cost attached to strategically moving air units. Yeah you keep the small country riff raff from moving their air units around willy nilly but allowing major countries to do so is wrong.

I mean why even bother with rebasing when strategically moving air units is free? Please rethink this totally wrong decision. I can see where it might take 10 SMP to strategically move tactical bomber units, but it would only cost one SMP to actually do the trick. When are you going to program the American AI to take advatange of this? I always see the USA AI leave all of it's fighters in the USA.

There should be no free lunches as far as moving air units with strategic movement, just makes a mockery of the air war.
Omnius
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

umm... interesting.

There is a minimum amount of SMP required and it should also cost you PP's.

Maybe someone turn off that feature.

It was working properly before hand.

At one time we had both, Threshold, temporary removal of SMP for that turn and an additional cost of PP's.

Try looking at your production points. Are you sure they are not being reduced? Moving air units is suppose to cost you PP's after you reach the threshold.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Indeed it does cost actual PPs at the time of movement, but not a cost in SMPs.

I just tested with 1.03beta2 and it did cost 8 PPs for fighters and 10 for bombers to do a strategic move for Germany, Italy, and the UK. Didn't try others, or strat bombers (didn't have enough SMP for strat bomber move for the country I tried).

So there is a cost in PPs, but not the reduction that turn of SMPs. I like it the way it is. SMPs to me generally implies rail movement, whereas strategically moving an air unit usually implies to me sea movement or multi-stage air moves (as in the historical US to Brazil to Africa air moves). The PP cost is a good substitute to represent the breakdown of the planes into sea shippable movement, and then the reformation at destination, or the staged flights over very long distances.

It's all abstracted anyway, so one way is as good as another for paying for such movement, so long as it is costly and impactful on the player's bottom line.

Omnius

PP Cost

Post by Omnius »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Indeed it does cost actual PPs at the time of movement, but not a cost in SMPs.

I just tested with 1.03beta2 and it did cost 8 PPs for fighters and 10 for bombers to do a strategic move for Germany, Italy, and the UK. Didn't try others, or strat bombers (didn't have enough SMP for strat bomber move for the country I tried).

So there is a cost in PPs, but not the reduction that turn of SMPs. I like it the way it is. SMPs to me generally implies rail movement, whereas strategically moving an air unit usually implies to me sea movement or multi-stage air moves (as in the historical US to Brazil to Africa air moves). The PP cost is a good substitute to represent the breakdown of the planes into sea shippable movement, and then the reformation at destination, or the staged flights over very long distances.

It's all abstracted anyway, so one way is as good as another for paying for such movement, so long as it is costly and impactful on the player's bottom line.

gwgardener,
Thanks for pointing out that strategical;ly moving air units costs PP's instead of SMP's when air units are moved thusly. I wasn't looking, or expecting, the PP cost. Next time I'll make sure to look at the PP amount before and after moving to see what the PP cost is for each type. As long as there is some kind of cost for strategically movinf air units then I'm okay with that.

Now if they could only change the sound effect to something other than the choo choo train sound. [:D]
Omnius

Return to “Tech Support”