First CTGW AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Lukas

First CTGW AAR

Post by Lukas »

SlickWilhelm is creating a very detailed AAR about the 1914 scenario, playing as the Central Powers.

Note: This AAR is taken from a Beta version of Commander: The Great War.

Wilkommen!

With the permission of the Lordz, it's time to share with the wargaming public some of the fun that the beta testers have been having. In this AAR, I will introduce you all to the basics of playing CTGW, and take you with me on my quest to tackle the AI on the hardest difficulty level, privileged. I should note that I've decided not to use HUGE pics, as it would require people reading this AAR on small monitors or laptops to have to scroll a lot to see the entire picture. Sorry guys with big monitors. I'll have the action zoomed in most of the time, so the pics should show up well once we get into the action.

Alright, alright. Let's start up the game and select our display settings. It's important to note one thing, here. If you choose to play at your monitor's native resolution, you must put a check mark in the "Fullscreen" box. If you try to play CTGW in windowed mode at your monitor's native resolution, it will not work correctly. My monitor's native resolution is 1920x1200, but since I want to play in windowed mode, I select 1680x1050 resolution.

To emphasize the point, if I had chosen to play at 1920x1200 resolution, I would have had to put a check box in the "Fullscreen" box. But since I chose 1680x1050, I'm good with playing in windowed mode.

After selecting the display resolution, I now have a choice to select a single player game or a multi-player game. Since I've chosen a single-player game against the AI, I'm presented with the screen below. In here, you can see that I've selected the 1914 campaign -the entire "Great War"- fighting as the Central Powers against the "Privileged" AI, the most difficult setting. As you can see, there are campaigns starting out on each year of WWI. On this screen I can read a historical briefing of the campaign, or choose the "video" button to get ...you guessed it...a video presentation of the campaign.

In this screen, I may also select to enable tutorial messages, which provide valuable help on how to play the game. Since I'm helping you with that in this AAR, this will not be necessary.

Alright, after reading the briefing or watching the video, let's click on the LAUNCH button to start the campaign!

Now we see the main campaign screen, where we will play the game. From this screen, we can read and listen to the campaign briefing. To advance to the next screen, click on the red carrot that I've surrounded in yellow. After you've read and listened to all four pages, you may click the START GAME button.

And here's the beginning of the 1914 campaign, starting on 7/23/1914. This is turn one out of a possible 118 turns. I don't intend to let the war drag on that long, however. The glorious Central Powers must prevail and bend the Entente alliance to our will!

Notice that the counters are in attractive sprites. Nice, but I'm a more traditional wargamer, so I'd rather play with counters using NATO symbols. So, in order to accomplish this, I click on the MENU button, and select DISPLAY OPTIONS, where I select ENABLE UNIT COUNTERS. To add greater visibility, I also select to ENABLE HEX GRID and ENABLE UNIT GLOW, which makes units stand out more from the background. I will explain the other display settings as we progress through the game.

Now that we've got the display settings to our liking, let's select the CLOSE button and head back to the game screen. My next post will describe more of the user interface.

If you're interested, continue to read here: have a look here.
Erik Rutins

RE: First CTGW AAR

Post by Erik Rutins »

If you're interested in CTGW, definitely read this AAR. <bump>
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
elmo3

RE: First CTGW AAR

Post by elmo3 »

Nice AAR so far Slick. I hope you will find time to continue it even though the game has now launched.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Return to “After Action Reports”