Splitting units

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

STEF78

Splitting units

Post by STEF78 »

Hello

In my game versus Dudu, I've split during the first turn 2 Pzd. 2 regiments were badly hurt when he counterattacked.

I'm now reluctant to split them back (experience?)

When do you use (or not) the spilitting of your divisions?

Thank you
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
timmyab

RE: Splitting units

Post by timmyab »

As you've discovered, split divisions are vulnerable to Soviet counterattacks.Keep divisions together as much as possible, but where you must split them try to keep lone regiments away from strong enemy concentrations and always look to give them terrain benefits if you can.
Offensively they are particularly useful as a containing force on the inside walls of pockets where you have either an outer wall of strong units or a large converted hex buffer.Because they have ZOC they also make good screens against light but mobile forces like cavalry.
On the defensive, divisions can be split and used as a second line of defense by placing the regiments in good terrain or forts at key points just behind the main line.This will help to prevent the enemy exploiting any breakthroughs and these strong-points are also a good place to position corps HQs.

I've always thought it would be a good thing if the German divisions had the option of being split in two as well as three.
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Thank you, I will use them for the inside wall of the encirclements.
May be regiments can also be used on second line of defense in 'reserve" mode. If I have well understood, they will better react.
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Yes, depending on whether an attack is imminent or not, you can either put them in reserve mode or you can have them on refit and cycle divisions in and out of the front line to keep their TOE percentage up.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

And they lose proportionately less men if attacked...which is a quirk in the system. They are great for screening a retreat or even to buy a turn or 2 of time while digging in on a main defensive line because they lose relatively less casualties even if attacked at overwhelming odds.

Return to “The War Room”