The experienced rookie: Denisonh(A) vs Dan Nichols(J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

denisonh

The experienced rookie: Denisonh(A) vs Dan Nichols(J)

Post by denisonh »

Gents,

This is my 2nd solo PBEM with WitP-AE (my first ended with my opponent disappearing in Jan 42). I am an old UVer and plank owner for WitP getting my copy at Origins (and started my first PBEM 5 days afterwards going to April 43 the first go round). Engaged in a number of WitP PBEMs although never got past late 43 in any of them.

I am tactically sound and proficient with surface naval forces, a capable logistican, competent with my LBA, and good enough with my CVs. My issue is with land combat and that brings me to the primary reason for starting this AAR: China.

I am looking for "expert" advice for China and any other aspect of the game as approriate. Welcome questions, thoughts, suggestions, and observations on tactics, strategy, and playing style. I see my opponent, who is experienced and skilled, has started an AAR to get some expert advice so reckoned I should do the same.

As for my China strategy, my initial thoughts are to "run for the woods" based on reading through a number of AARs, but really am looking for some tips on key lines of defense, logistics, and distribution of forces, as the South seems a bit light and will need reinforcing as well as the North. In all but one of my WitP PBEMs I got smacked around in China so I am formulating my strategy for China and working it the first turn to try and avoid that outcome this go round.

Here are the ground rules we established for the game given we will play a historically plausible style of game. :

DaBigBabes 28B v11

Settings:
Realism
FoW ON
Advanced Weather Effects OFF
Allied Damage Control ON
Player Def. Upgrades ON
Historical First Turn OFF
December 7th surprise ON
Reliable USN Torpedoes OFF
Realistic R&D ON
No Unit Withdrawls OFF
Reinforcement 15day+/- / 15 day =/-

Set All Facilities to expand at start OFF
Automatic upgrade ships and air groups OFF
Accept Air and Ground replacements OFF
Turn Cycle 1

House rules:

1. CAP and Sweep max altitude is second best maneuver band
2. Pay PPs to change restricted units before marching them across a national border.
3. No strategic bombing into or out of China until 1/44. Air field, port, ground are acceptable targets. All types of industry are not.
4. No 4-engine bombers on ground attack if there are friendly ground units in the hex.
5. Night bombing - 50% or greater moonlight - one unit per base allotted

Turn 1:

1. No new Allied TFs. Existing TFs can be given orders.
2. No orders to be given to non Chinese assigned air or ground units.
3. Japanese will attack Pearl Harbor.
4. No Port attacks on Manilla or Singapore.
5. No invasions will land other the the following possibilities:
Kota Bharu, Batan Island, Guam.
6. No IJN fleets will end up closer than 5 hexes from an occupied Allied base.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
BBfanboy

RE: The experienced rookie: Denisonh(A) vs Dan Nichols(J)

Post by BBfanboy »

Whether the Allied player can hold China seems to depend a good deal on where your opponent deploys the units bought out of Manchukwo. If he brings them to China, especially the tanks, it will be extemely difficult to hold out. If he takes them off in search of new lands to conquer, China has a better chance. Several AARs recently have shown that the Japanese player should immediately thrust north to cut off Lanchow/Sian from Chungking. Without fuel coming in, supplies and replacement devices will not be made. The Japanese can then force their way onto the Chungking plain and knock off the industrial heartland. [Greyjoy is currently doing that in his AAR]. The rest is cleanup.

How to defend? Well, I recommend Canoerebel's "War and Peas"AAR as he is up against a very skilled and aggressive player who pressed him hard in China. Canoerebel used internal lines of communication to move his troops north - south - north to counter the Japanese shifting their major thrusts. The issue is still not decided and northern China is in a precarious position, but the Japanese are running out of steam too.
BTW you did the right thing by heading for the trees immediately. Your troops can only gain experience if they survive the bombing/bombardments that are so deadly in the open.

Whatever you decide to do - good luck and fair sailing/flying/marching!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

Thanks for the suggestions. Searched Canoerebels AARs and only get references to an "MLR", but nothing really giving substantive details Best AAR outlining details I have found has been from my opponent during his PBEM as Allied. Not sure following his blueprint is prudent......

Major concern is which units to send to defend the north. Understand that the Japanese can steamroll China with the Manchuria tank units but I am interested in making a determined a defense as possible.

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Whether the Allied player can hold China seems to depend a good deal on where your opponent deploys the units bought out of Manchukwo. If he brings them to China, especially the tanks, it will be extemely difficult to hold out. If he takes them off in search of new lands to conquer, China has a better chance. Several AARs recently have shown that the Japanese player should immediately thrust north to cut off Lanchow/Sian from Chungking. Without fuel coming in, supplies and replacement devices will not be made. The Japanese can then force their way onto the Chungking plain and knock off the industrial heartland. [Greyjoy is currently doing that in his AAR]. The rest is cleanup.

How to defend? Well, I recommend Canoerebel's "War and Peas"AAR as he is up against a very skilled and aggressive player who pressed him hard in China. Canoerebel used internal lines of communication to move his troops north - south - north to counter the Japanese shifting their major thrusts. The issue is still not decided and northern China is in a precarious position, but the Japanese are running out of steam too.
BTW you did the right thing by heading for the trees immediately. Your troops can only gain experience if they survive the bombing/bombardments that are so deadly in the open.

Whatever you decide to do - good luck and fair sailing/flying/marching!
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

Starting the run for the woods. Am looking to converge an army group at Sian and then move to Lanchow. The pic depicts the situation in South China and my initial instructions and inital concentrations.

Looking for suggestions on opening moves and inital sites to conectrate, as well as an intermediate MLR.

Attachments
SouthChina7Dec41.jpg
SouthChina7Dec41.jpg (448.23 KiB) Viewed 32 times

Return to “After Action Reports”