Enslave/resettle problem

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

thisisnotanick

Enslave/resettle problem

Post by thisisnotanick »

Ive played DW for a while now and I really like it, but I always seem to run into annoying little problems.

My latest problem is enslaving some Naxillians (I play as humans) on a independant planet I took.
Ive set all my colonies to Assimilate/Do not accept, and Ive ticked the "Use Penal Colonies to implement 'Enslave' policy".

The only planet not set to Assimilate/Do not accept, is the planet with the Naxillians. It is set to Do not accept/Enslave, and there are no other races on the planet except Naxillians. I want to use this planet as a penal colony.

However, the game keeps changing the Enslave to Resettle. I only enslave for roleplaying purposes, but the game keeps changing Enslave all the time.

Am I doing something wrong?
thisisnotanick

RE: Enslave/resettle problem

Post by thisisnotanick »

So it seems its the "Use Penal Colonies to implement 'Enslave' policy" that makes the game switch my colony from Enslave to Resettle. I thought I made it a penal colony by telling it to enslave, but obviously that is not the case.

I noticed the game was moving Naxillians somwhere when it was set to resettle, even though all my other colonies have "Do not accept". Where the hell where they moved to? Does the game create penal colonies automagically? If so how and where are these penal colonies? Ive seen a couple of other people asking how to create penal colonies without getting an answer, so its obviously not just me.

I have to say, as fun as this game is, sometimes it feels like it is working against me just for the heck of it =/
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Are you sure you don't have the AI manage policies?

I figure resettling can move them to other empires, and that is where they end up.
thisisnotanick

Post by thisisnotanick »

Hey Bingeling! Thanks for replying :)

I actually cant find a setting anywhere to enable or disable AI managing colony policies.
However, its just this one planet it is messing with, and it only does so if I have the "Use Penal Colonies to implement 'Enslave' policy" ticked.

Also it kept settling humans on the planet even though I had it set to "Population Policy: Same family 'Do not accept'".

I couldnt get rid of the humans that were settled there, even with the editor it was set to 1m when i tried to get them off. I dont want my loyal subjects to be tainted by the smelly Naxillians!

I ended up deleting the planet in editor because it annoyed me so much :/
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

I would dearly like for a bit more granularity in population controls. I tend to prefer setting aside certain planets for one race as well, but sometimes struggle a little with keeping it that way.

One thing to keep in mind with the migration settings you have is that if the colony is having its acceptance policy flipped, the private sector may well queue a passenger ship over before you realize it. Even if you catch the setting change before the ship arrives, it doesn't clear that ship's queued task. This means that a ship queued to drop migrants off at a planet will do so even if the planet has since been set to refuse acceptance of those migrants. Of course, once they're there you can only get rid of that last 1m by setting it to extermination and, unfortunately, that applies to the whole race family as well.

I dig that it makes a kind of sense to take migration out of the hands of players, but whether you're trying to play a despotic empire who wants to enslave/exterminate not only other races but the "inferior" members of your own race family, or just can't fathom why ackdarians would ever choose to migrate to a volcanic world, there seems to be an issue with how the private sector handles migration. Not a bug per se, but at least a less than optimal assessment of valid migration targets.
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

thisisnotanick

Give this a try :

make sure your checkbox is selected for "Use Penal Colonies to implement 'Enslave' policy"

on all planets where you want the Naxillians to be transported from, set the Naxillians to re-settle.
on all the planets where you want the penal colonies set the Naxillians to enslave and the humans to re-settle.
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

do not accept does not stop your own race from being sent to the planet, it only prevents migration of the other humaniod races from being sent to your planets. I set all my planets to do not accept / do not accept to stop all migration other than my own race.

Return to “Tech Support”