AI use of engineers

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

stonestriker

AI use of engineers

Post by stonestriker »

I have recently finished the Case Yellow scenario in DC as the French and are now in the opening phase of Trappenjagd as the USSR. I seem to be experiencing a deja-vu in regards to the AI use of engineers.

The manual states that engineer troops represent construction units and not assault engineers, however the AI often puts them on the frontline, often a single engineer unit to hold a hex. I have even seen engineers being used to scout ahead.

The results of this the easy elimination of engineers and resulting lack of ability to repair bridges. In Case Yellow I eliminated at least 4 engineer units, and the Germans definitely suffered from it even though it was less than 20% of their engineers.

Currently I am on the 5th turn of Trappenjagd, and I have already caused the Germans a loss of 20% of their engineers. I know they will get reinforcements, but if they keep this suicidal use of engineers up, I don´t think they will be able to replace them as fast as I am killing them.

Have anyone else experienced this problem in Trappenjagd and are the AI able to cope with blown bridges with so few engineer units? Should I avoid killing them in order to give the AI a chance (playing on Normal btw)?
DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award
Redmarkus5

RE: AI use of engineers

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Yes, I have seen this as well, including the AI's use of Engineer units as a rearguard after withdrawing all other units in the area.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Toby42

RE: AI use of engineers

Post by Toby42 »

Engineers have a high movement rate, so they are out front leading. Not very realistic!
Tony

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”