Characters number limits?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

vladi.sama@gmail.com

Characters number limits?

Post by vladi.sama@gmail.com »

Hello,

what are the limits of the different type of characters you can have in a game?

Leader is 1...
what about the others?

how many colony governors i can have?
what about the other types

Thanks!
Ralzakark

RE: Characters number limits?

Post by Ralzakark »

The numbers of others are variable depending on your empire. As you build more ships and colonise more worlds others will pop up. I don't know what if any the maximum number is set at. The percentage modifiers for each race will influnece how quickly new characters appear as well.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

AFAIK there is no limit to the number of characters that will show up in game (save that there are pre-defined characters in the character file and you use them all). As Ralzakark pointed out, the rate at which they appear will vary from game to game and from race to race.

Characters show up randomly (via a random number generator and the modifier that is in the races file) through out the game. I can't explain exactly how it works (since I am no coder), but the if I were to wager a guess, I'd say the general idea is that you hit the target number for a 'generate character event' and then another 'roll' is done to determine what type of character, then if it is a pre-defined character, they appear in the order listed, or a random character will appear if no characters are defined.

Some one else (or Elliotg or Erik) can probably explain much better how it works and why it works the way it does.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

In addition Shark, your Empire's population and Government type also dictates how many total characters
are in play as well. Just FYI! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

If you check one of the other forums in modding, I think IGard said he had an astounding amount, and that the issue is more with image files than it is with characters in play...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

In addition Shark, your Empire's population and Government type also dictates how many total characters
are in play as well. Just FYI! [:)]

Ah ha! You learn something every day. I did not know that. [8D]
Distant Worlds Fan

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Wow Shark and Ed I had no idea.  I figured that there must be some sort of limit which I had just never reached.

On a vaguely related note - does anybody know if 'inspiring' and 'demoralising' work as advertised in the modding guide/pop-up windows?

I've never really been able to see any effect from 'inspiring' on my leader/main colony governor (but admit that this is far from clear as various increases happen from time to time).  In my last game I had a scientist with 'inspiring' and although he was kept company by one or more scientists for the entire game I never saw any increase to skills which I would not have otherwise expected.  This game I had my second scientist pop with 'demoralising' and although he's keeping my main lightbulber company I've not seen any decrease in skills (or even any noticeable decrease in the rate of skills increase).  Am I kidding myself or do these traits actually not have any in game effect? 
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I have the exact same question. Someone please tell!

Also can I make the game more challenging by changing the characters in the files? The ugnari spy Tek Ilito is godly.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Yep, you can make the game more challenging, or easier, by messing with the characters - although making it easier is, well, easier.  [:D]  In vanilla each race gets a good character to start with.  For Ugnari it's a spy, humans a diplomat, etc.  Taking that away can make it harder but it also alters how each race plays

Even more difficulty altering can be done by assigning a trait to all characters of a type.  Making all your characters have, say, 'obnoxious' and 'lazy' can create some extra difficulty.

Best way to do it is to follow the modding guide and make a theme in which you do all your customisation.  Beware of dropping comma's...  Other than that it is quite easy.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Inspiring and Demoralizing work in a way that is not really evident. You will notice other characters at the same location will gain skills faster or slower if these types of characters are also there. It does not prevent them from gaining skills or speed it up to 'light speed' gains, just has a constant effect.

If I were to guess, the modifier would be a +10% or -10% effect on skill up speed.
Distant Worlds Fan

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

You may be right.  I have not noticed any real difference.  It could well be that I am seeing what I expect to see though. 

To be clear - demoralising does not 'slowly decrease the skills of all characters at that location' on your account either.  So the pop-up/modding guide is misleading.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

An evil tactic with the demoralizing trait would be to send an ambassador with that trait to an enemy homeworld. [:D]

Pretty sure it doesn't work that way, but it is definitely something I would do. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”