A Good WiF Site I Came Across

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Missouri_Rebel

A Good WiF Site I Came Across

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Capital WIF [/size]

I found the section on Gambits and Exploits very interesting. Have any of these been dealt with on the MWIF side and would anyone care to comment on their own experiences with these exploits?

Also, he has published the rules with pics and did a pretty good job with them. There are even more pics in the examples.

While reading his set of rules I noticed that most of Option 55 was crossed out. Anyone have any further information regarding this?

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
paulderynck

RE: A Good WiF Site I Came Across

Post by paulderynck »

Option 55 is something to do with Fighters IIRCC.

It ended up being a controversial & confusing change. The old option was: "Back-up fighters only increase your air-to-air strength if their modified air-to-air rating is at least half that of the modified rating of the front opposing fighter. This does not apply to back-up carrier planes."

In 2008, it was erratised to: "replaces WiF option 55: Back-up fighters in any air combat add 1/10th to their air-to-air strength instead of 1 per unit."

Problem is the normal back-up fighter rule was they each add 1, except the carrier planes which add 1/10th of their A2A strength.

So the conclusion was they either all add 1 (except CVPs) or optionally they all add 1/10th of their A2A strength. It was talked about at length in the Playtest forum as to how it should get coded in MWiF, and I think the final decision was as concluded.
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Capital WIF [/size]

I found the section on Gambits and Exploits very interesting. Have any of these been dealt with on the MWIF side and would anyone care to comment on their own experiences with these exploits?

mo reb
A lot of the exploits have since been superceded by the 2008 Errata and the 2009 FAQ. Gambits are somewhat in the eye of the beholder. What might seem like an unbeatable strategy often turns out to be disastrous if your opponent knows the antidote.

Without getting into specifics, some of both the Errata and the FAQ has been incorporated into MWiF. I think the changes can be discerned by comparing RAC with RAW. Obviously for MWiF, RAC overrides.
Paul
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Thise are very cute indeed. I also have some sneaky tricks that Ive used as the Axis MoReb but if I divulge them to you, Id have to crush you! [:'(][:'(]
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

I also have some sneaky tricks that Ive used as the Axis MoReb but if I divulge them to you, Id have to crush you! [:'(][:'(]

How big of a boy are you? Why, you ain't much bigger than a popcorn fart.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

Sneak ... !!!!!!!!!!! [8|]
IDG [X(]
Orm

Post by Orm »

These gambits and exploits are not as good as they make them out. I am not even sure I would call it exploits because that implies that it exploits the WIF rules and I am not sure they do that. What one call exploit another call viable strategy.

Aggressive play, like these gambits, can bring some benefits but they usually have one disadvantage that they affect the US entry status. Learning how US entry works and how that affects US production is essential when evaluating such game plans.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Orm
These gambits and exploits are not as good as they make them out. I am not even sure I would call it exploits because that implies that it exploits the WIF rules and I am not sure they do that. What one call exploit another call viable strategy.

Aggressive play, like these gambits, can bring some benefits but they usually have one disadvantage that they affect the US entry status. Learning how US entry works and how that affects US production is essential when evaluating such game plans.
Without even looking at the gambits/exploits, I know that if they affect US Entry, then the Allied player can counter them (and put a real hurtin' on the Axis) by either taking a lot of US Entry Options early or simply building up his chits for an early entry into the war.

It's worth remembering that historically the Axis was looking really good in autumn 1942, and then the roof fell in when the US factories started turning out everything a commander-in-chief could dream of.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
ORIGINAL: Orm

Without even looking at the gambits/exploits, I know that if they affect US Entry, then the Allied player can counter them (and put a real hurtin' on the Axis) by either taking a lot of US Entry Options early or simply building up his chits for an early entry into the war.

It's worth remembering that historically the Axis was looking really good in autumn 1942, and then the roof fell in when the US factories started turning out everything a commander-in-chief could dream of.
Warspite1

No wish to split hairs, but by autumn 1942 the Axis were in the deep do-do.

Italy had run out of oil, her capital ships laid up and (depending on when in the autumn we are talking) she had lost/was about to lose many troops at El-Alamein.

Japan had lost Midway and were being bled white on Guadalcanal, where losses in land and carrier-based aircraft were critical and troops on the island were starving to death. Even when they inflicted pain on the USN - and autumn saw the sinking of the Hornet at the Battle of Santa Cruz - the "victory" cost them so many planes, their carriers had to be withdrawn.

The German army in Russia was in a complete mess. The Russian counter attacks in the winter of 1941 had left the army in a sorry state. Army Groups North and Centre had to be stripped of men and equipment in order to make Operation Blue possible, and by the autumn, Operation Blue was in BIG trouble. The Soviets had learned how to fight and had retreated rather than be encircled (the Germans, moving further and further away from their supply lines, were punching thin air). The Army Group had completely
failed to meet it's summer objectives and was heading into another disaster.....a city on the banks of the River Volga.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

This is part of the thing that fascinates me about WiF; the apparent multitude of courses of action a player can take to achieve victory. With new release computer games it seems like developers are always trying to reinvent the wheel for every game. The latest graphics, bells, and whistles adorned to an unproven system. Sure there are those that get it right, or as close to right as a game can be, but it doesn't take long before a player can develop a plan that is an almost guaranteed win in most of these games. I do appreciate the innovation that these developers are bringing to the table, but a tried and true system like WiF leaves me with no doubt that the time invested wont be for naught. I need a system to last me through the ages and I feel WiF can do that for me.

I assume that with WiF most of the balancing has already been implemented and many of the quirks worked out. It is this solid system, still a mass unknown to me, that I look forward to learning. Skimming the rules these past few days I can start to absorb a bit of the flow, but I can only imagine the time it's going to take to become familiar with this system and its rules much less understanding the small nuances needed to win. Those come through losses.

At least many of you have already mastered much of the game. For me, nothing but work. So much information.

mo reb

SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

How big of a boy are you? Why, you ain't much bigger than a popcorn fart.
This big of a boy am I O Silly MoReb; [:'(] Image
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

...And this big; [:'(]
— Winston Churchill
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

...And especially this Big; [:D]
Attachments
FE_ge4XZ.jpg
FE_ge4XZ.jpg (105.6 KiB) Viewed 88 times
— Winston Churchill
Orm

Post by Orm »

Do you ever play on the Allied side Slaakman?

Attachments
CWnavy.jpg
CWnavy.jpg (266.61 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Do you ever play on the Allied side Slaakman?
Only as a Doppel-Agentur. [:'(]

Attachments
HortenHo..endering.jpg
HortenHo..endering.jpg (15.63 KiB) Viewed 67 times
— Winston Churchill
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

Well if the game ever comes out may be kiltin time eh' .. [X(]
IDG
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

We have a virtual gun dual challenge here folks. Everyone take your seats.
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

MoReb,
We have a virtual gun dual challenge here folks. Everyone take your seats.
Someone is calling you from the grave to prepare for battle MR!! I can hear him now, "Hit Slaaks left flank as fast as you can.";

Attachments
b_thomas_s.._jackson.jpg
b_thomas_s.._jackson.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 66 times
— Winston Churchill
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

i would like to see more of the ingame counters...i only ever had one of the earlyer ver of WIF
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: tigercub

i would like to see more of the ingame counters...i only ever had one of the earlyer ver of WIF

you can see all counters on the French wif site ..
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

Return to “World in Flames”