Alternative Start Campaigns

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Moose

Alternative Start Campaigns

Post by Moose »

I started messing around with WITP stock again today, to look at the campaigns that start later in the war. Really miss the Campaign 42A, 42B, 43, and 44 from stock WITP. I especially like playing as the Allies for most of the war but leave out the first few months where all you get to do is try to minimize how many folks get killed.

Ideally, I'd like to see a WITP2 with an easier to handle interface too. This games seems to be more difficult than necessary to play.
Moose

RE: Alternative Start Campaigns

Post by Moose »

Would like to see what other campaigns folks would like to see. As I mentioned I'd like to see more Grand Campaigns with advanced start dates. I like the feel of doing the whole war, but there are parts I'd like to avoid rehashing.

As far as a new WITP, I'd mainly like to see an easier to master interface. But it would also be cool to see information about various loadouts being used by the aircraft. Not sure it'd make much difference in outcomes at this scale, a loadout of rockets instead of 2x1000lb bombs, but it'd be cool to know just the same. I might be cool with the AI deciding what loadouts as long as I knew what they were, which I guess we do now, but the diversity of loadouts is pretty seriously limited now.

On the interface I've been tempted by simpler wargames, only to find out upon further research that they've sacrificed detail too far. One of the things I love about WITP is how you get a feeling of aircraft upgrades impacting how events are unfolding, something that the lack of detail in the simpler games denies us to a great degree.

Nicer graphics would be nice too, but at the same time I think these days many developers waste a lot of time getting graphics up to an unnecessary level.

Anyhow, would love to hear others opinions on what would make new and interesting campaigns and what might make for an interesting WITP2. What do y'all think?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

One of my favorite features from my previous WW2 Pacific game (PTO 2!) was the ability to choose from 3 campaign start dates - 11/30/41, 5/27/42, and 3/31/44. After a while, the only way to get any sort of challenge out of the game was to play as Japan in 1944 or 1941, or as the US in 1942, with various difficulty settings.

To me, that is the biggest hole in WITP:AE. A campaign start just prior to Midway (5/27/42...) or Coral Sea, or one that's just after the conclusion of the Guadalcanal campaign (early 1943), would be ideal.

While it's interesting to rehash the early phases of the war, particularly as Japan and playing around with different offensive strategies, it can be just as tedious as it is for the Allies. It would be nice to start 4-6 months in, with the historical Japanese expansion already reached and with the Allies finally organized for war. I once opened up the Editor to try to give it a go myself, but decided that the interface wasn't intuitive enough for me to bang it out in a week or two, so I gave up.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

It's just so much work to do I mean the original grand campaign took months for orbit alone never mind ai
Moose

Post by Moose »

Exactly. Ideal would be a start time somewhere between Coral Sea and end of Gualdacanal with my preferred being right at the beginning of Gualdacanal.

For a smaller campaign the one that seems missing to me is an enitre Solomons campaign; starting at Gualdacanal up through Bougainville.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Mifune is working on a May 42 scenario, historical. Not quite ready for play but you might want to look at it. Scenario 92 I think.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Where are these scenarios held also? I get the picture there are scenarios out there that I have no idea where to find.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Read this thread for non official scenarios.

tm.asp?m=3088504&mpage=1&key=scenario%2Csite&#3088504

Alfred

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”