Biting off more than you can chew

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wadail

Biting off more than you can chew

Post by wadail »

Ouch

Attachments
SSIoops.jpg
SSIoops.jpg (370 KiB) Viewed 83 times
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz
BBfanboy

RE: Biting off more than you can chew

Post by BBfanboy »

[&:]
OK - I have seen other AARs start up after several months to a year of game time, but this entry out of the blue from 1944 leaves me wondering.
Other than the remarkable number of hits on the sub, what were you intending to convey by this post?? Not trying to diss you - I just don't "grok" it.
Does the AAR title imply that the BBs got to fire on the surfaced sub?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
wadail

Post by wadail »

46 hits.. I wonder which one was fatal.. usually I see 3 or 4.. max I'd seen before this was 8.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Ok, now I understand your amazement.

I-boats are very tough, almost a tough as US fleet boats [not S-class, which are smaller]. It isn't so much the number of hits as the quality of hits that matters - most hits are "minor" hits [near miss causes damage] that cause some system damage and minor leaks or minor fires, but much of that can be repaired at sea. That I-boat probably got all minor hits, and usuall after 25 or so minor hits the sub gets forced to the surface and is riddled with gunfire hits from .303 machine gun size to the biggest guns in the TF. It is rare for guns over 5" to score hits though.

However a major, penetrating hit by an ASW weapon will cause flooding and severe system damage, along with the possibility of fire. Three major hits will put an I-boat in danger of sinking, with flooding around 70% and likely to increase if minor hits are scored afterward. Severe system damage also hampers subsequent damage control and increases the chance the sub will sink.

RO-boats are a smaller and a bit less robust than I-boats. The SSX mini-subs are eggshells, damaged by near misses that would not be close enough to damage a full sized sub, and doomed by any major hit. Remember, the mini-subs were not designed to dive deep but to penetrate harbours so their hulls are not the same tough steel as full sized subs.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “After Action Reports”