Use for AMc?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ctangus

Use for AMc?

Post by ctangus »

Forgive me if this has been talked about before, but is there any use for the AMc? It can't join transport TFs, has no ASW capability, negligible AA and there are very few mines on the map compared to the original WITP.

Sure, it could serve good target practice for your opponent, but beyond that?
AW1Steve

RE: Use for AMc?

Post by AW1Steve »

Local minesweeper, picket patrol, local ASW. Yard patrol. Garbage scow. And of course "warning duck". (In Florida most comunities have ponds with fountains and ducks for fire purposes. The high water table wrecks havoc with hydrant lines, so you have ponds. The fountains keep mosquitos from breeding there. And you have "warning ducks". Every morning you count the ducks. When they start to go missing , you call the wildlife people, because you have a gator. When the AMc's get sunk you have a sub problem. Keep your valuable ships in port and call in a ASW group to exterminate the pest!). [:D]
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

It's a good idea to put at least one in every major port. If the enemy tries to mine them via submarine, you can clean it up quickly that way.

And as AW1 Steve says, every hull in the game has a use as a decoy for air attacks, or picket or some sort of early-warning device.

Any ship can be a picket ship (once, at least)
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I have a tendency to use the Japanese AMc's to get rid of the mines at Balikpapan, Manila, Hong Kong, Singapore, Batavia, etc. Even though they have really short legs (just 2100 endurance). After that, I don't use them much, but it does help free up my DMS and AM ships for amphibious TF mine protection when landing.
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Local minesweeper, picket patrol, local ASW. Yard patrol. Garbage scow. And of course "warning duck". (In Florida most comunities have ponds with fountains and ducks for fire purposes. The high water table wrecks havoc with hydrant lines, so you have ponds. The fountains keep mosquitos from breeding there. And you have "warning ducks". Every morning you count the ducks. When they start to go missing , you call the wildlife people, because you have a gator. When the AMc's get sunk you have a sub problem. Keep your valuable ships in port and call in a ASW group to exterminate the pest!). [:D]

"Warning ducks" do work, but it's not always a gator. During baby duck season watch the pond. Moma duck will enter pond on one side followed baby ducks. (lets say 8) Along the way you will see a little splash and a baby duck will be gone. This can and does happen more than once. By the time moma duck exits the pond on the other side she is follow by only two, three or even no baby ducks. I have seen this happen more than once every year during baby duck season. What got the baby ducks you ask... turtles! They grow big down here. I have not seen it myself, but nieghbors have told me they have seen the really big turtles take down moma also.
wadail

Post by wadail »

Bass will also eat them.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: wadail

Bass will also eat them.

AMc?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Bass will also eat them.

AMc?
Of course only the really big bass...
wadail

Post by wadail »

[:-] Well, off to the break room to get a wipe for this monitor...
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz
ctangus

Post by ctangus »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Bass will also eat them.

AMc?

They do call them largemouth for a reason...

Thanks all for the responses!
Disco Duck

Post by Disco Duck »

ORIGINAL: fodder

"Warning ducks" do work, but it's not always a gator. During baby duck season watch the pond. Moma duck will enter pond on one side followed baby ducks. (lets say 8) Along the way you will see a little splash and a baby duck will be gone. This can and does happen more than once. By the time moma duck exits the pond on the other side she is follow by only two, three or even no baby ducks. I have seen this happen more than once every year during baby duck season. What got the baby ducks you ask... turtles! They grow big down here. I have not seen it myself, but nieghbors have told me they have seen the really big turtles take down moma also.

Yes the snapping turtles get rather large. Back in the Seventies a friend of mine got three dollars a pound for them. Say about ten pounds each without shell.
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

If memory serves me correctly , those big , mean nasty snappers were sometimes called "gator turtles". [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Bass will also eat them.

AMc?

Then you'll need to get a bigger boat.[:D]
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

If memory serves me correctly , those big , mean nasty snappers were sometimes called "gator turtles". [:D]

Actually, the "alligator snapping turtle" is a specific type of snapping turtle, and yes, they grow very large. There was one at the freshwater aquarium in Chattanooga that was dredged up out of the TN River that weighed over 500 pounds. It looked like a boulder and had a head the size of a large man's head.

Return to “The War Room”