Question for Allied Players

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wadail

Question for Allied Players

Post by wadail »

As the war progresses, do you continue to operate Pacific Areas out of Pearl Harbor, or do you move the bulk of your forces West? There are a couple of islands west of the Gilberts with unlimited ground unit stacking, but the ports can't be raised above 4 or 5. I decided to stage the majority of my combat units to these islands so that assaults against Guam and Saipan would spend less time on transports, but moving all of those units seems to consume a lot of time and transports that are needed in the South Pacific and Southwest Pacific.

Just curious what other players have determined is the most effective way to push west.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz
Lokasenna

RE: Question for Allied Players

Post by Lokasenna »

I don't know if it's the most effective, but what I've been doing for long voyages from the LCU's embarkation position (often San Francisco...) is having a forward staging area where I simply go and unload the unit to get rid of the disruption that's accumulated along the way.

Against the AI, this is typically Rabaul - nice size 7 port, and a good spot to stick a naval HQ/port forces for better unloading/loading. The voyage from SF to Rabaul typically gives me somewhere around 15-20 disruption, sometimes more if I refuel at PH or Suva first. I unload them for a day (or longer, if I really am staging instead of just resting) and then set out for the target later on.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Just a thought, playing with maps that reduce stacking limits on non-atoll hexes leads to much different play than the standard map that only reduces stacking on atolls. In the latter, Noumea is a great port as well as Lugnaville (5) 8. On the other hand, in a stacking limits game Aukland has a limit of 120,000 port potentially (6) 9 . A little bit of a distance away, but that port level 9 can change the game before Apr 43 by allowing a USA division to load on the maximum number of AP's and spreading out the force to land in two phases before the mandatory shock attack.

Just a couple of things to consider in thinking about using a port as an offensive forward base.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Manus, north west of Rabual is a great base for the Allies to have. Well positioned. The Allies are really going to need a level 7 port and it becomes one of the obvious choices.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

i agree w/ the idea of 'staging' an amph-assault - by which i mean shipping out from Pearl or SanF to an intermediate base, unloading there for a bit or rest/training to recover disruption, before loading out again for the final leg of the journey.

the trip from Pearl to Guam is just too long, esp. if you're loaded on an LCI or LST. if you accumulate too much disruption during the voyage, an assault can be defeated before it even hits the beach! ntm that some of the shipping could use a day or three of minor-damage repair at the intermediate base, which should have some pre-positioned NavSupport and AR/AG ships.

another consideration is, despite my best efforts, some LCUs leave a fragment behind at their port of embarkation, usually a brace of Support or MotSupp - un/re-loading at an intermediate base gives me the chance to add these left-behind guys, provided i've found them quickly.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Although I play the Allied side, I never seem to get that far in a game to know! So this is all good information. Thanks.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I use Manus or Makin as my forward base. Makin doesn't have as big a port but it's centrally located, and if you've got enough naval support there loading for the invasion isn't very difficult. There are few good choices west of there before you hit the Marianas and Palaus, though. Truk is usually too well defended to try and take. Often I advance up New Guinea and use those bases for advancing into the Marianas and Philippines.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

& it's optimal if your intermediate base isn't being searched/reconned by your oppo's long-range patrols.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Christmas Is is a good waypoint.

Ed-
wadail

Post by wadail »

I'm using Kusaie in the Central Pacific and Manus in the Admiralty islands in the South / SW pacific.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz

Return to “The War Room”