Some new ideas for future releases from Graviteam.

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
Dane49

Some new ideas for future releases from Graviteam.

Post by Dane49 »

For those of you who don't visit the Graviteam forums.There are some interesting ideas and concepts being brought up in discussion for future game additions to the Graviteam line up.

I'm personally interested in a Steel Armor Blaze of War(SABOW) wedding to Actung Panzer Operation Star(APOS).And posted this in the SABOW discussion forum.

"A NATO vs Warsaw Pact set in the 1970-80s.An APOS/SABOW hybrid with the option of being able to choose playing either as a tank sim-SABOW style or over all tactical commander-APOS style before the battle starts.

Battlefronts Combat Mission Shock force series has plans on releasing a hypothetical NATO invasion/incursion into the Ukraine or actually I think the premiss being Ukraine joins NATO and Russia objects then invades the Ukraine and NATO honors its commitment to help defend the new NATO partner.I think it is suppose to be a modern campaign taking place during the years 2014-15.(Please do not quote me on what Battlefronts exact plans are for their new game).

I am very interested in this subject matter,and if and when Battlefront releases the game I intend on purchasing it.But,I know for a fact,that the whole time I'm playing it I will be wishing that Graviteam had done something similiar concerning this area of conflict and era, so I wouldn't have to subject myself to Battlefronts shoddy graphics,inferior maps and micro managing game play mechanics.

With that in mind,I think Graviteam now could offer something similiar with a merging of both APOS and SABOW by taking some of the content from both games(maps,tanks,weapon systems etc...) and add some NATO forces(Americans,Brits,French etc...) and Warsaw Pact forces(Russians,Poles,East Germans etc...) with maybe a new map as well and bundling it all together and offering it up for sale as a mod package.With future DLCs to offer more content.

The DLCs could offer more maps and introduce more weapon systems, and different force nationalities covering the entire spectrum from post WW2 to the present modern day.

I would very much like to see Graviteam tackle this subject matter.Before anyone says if Battlefront is already going to do this,than Graviteam shouldn't try to emulate or compete with them on this subject.I would have to counter with- McDonalds makes hamburgers and Pizza Hut makes pizzas,but it doesn't mean they make the best hamburgers or pizzas.

For an example,take a look at some of the screen shots Andrey posted on the Russian Sukhoi forum for APOS. http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.p ... 89&page=14 Very cool."

It seems the developers are at least exploring some of the subject matter mentioned and kicking around some ideas,which I find very exciting for the future of Graviteam and the people who enjoy their games.I personally expect some very promising games from this company down the road and hope to see some of these projects come to fruition.
wodin

RE: Some new ideas for future releases from Graviteam.

Post by wodin »

Personally I will prefer the Battlefront game and am more likely to buy theirs.

Still it would sell well.
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

Though the Russian community for this game seems to be kicking around some interesting hypothetical what ifs.I doubt we will see a NATO vs Warsaw Pact game from Graviteam.I could be wrong,but from their track record ahistorical doesn't seem to be something Graviteam is particularly interested in releasing at the present time.

Graviteam tends to lean towards strictly historic encounters.

I think it would be difficult to accurately simulate a present day modern hypothetical campaign because a lot of the information on the modern weapon systems are still considered classified.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

I would prefer Graviteam keep developing APOS. I really like the game but feel it needs more refinement.

In terms of Games, I am quite happy to have many companies producing games. More for me to choose from. I have all the battlefront CM games and modules. I find the graphics quite good, and the maps and editor amazing. Fortunately I like micromanagement and the way it is arranged in CM doesn't make it seem onerous to me. The HPS sqaud battles games are good too for board game style tactical play.

All in all a good few past years for computer wargames............. All I need is time to play them [:D] .

Back to APOS for more testing. What a great sand box!!
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

I think We can expect Graviteam to keep developing APOS,from what I understand APOS is their flag ship much to the consternation of the other two Graviteam communities of SABoW/SKK42 who think they are getting the step child treatment concerning Graviteams time/resources and efforts.

I think Graviteam plans on staying on the WW2 Russian front for quite some time,and it doesn't look like it to me that they really have any other plans to expand this game in any other direction other than the WW2 Russian front.Now there may be other names for the game later considering Operation Star was really only the initial Russian Operation for the 3rd battle of Kharkov.So,we may see the game taking on new name changes in the future to cover other Russian Operations.Keep in mind this is all speculation on my part and not garnered from any official sources and please do not quote me on this.

I've offered up some suggestions on the Graviteam forum for the developers to take some of the content from the other two games and offer it as mod package for sale so that these other tanks, weapon systems and maps could be used in quick battles for the APOS game.But,so far this idea has fallen on deaf ears[:(].

Another idea I had was for the developers to create an American 1943-45 force mod package for sale to be included into the order of battle for use in the quick battles in APOS to where you can use them to battle either the Russians or the Germans.But,alas!This idea has fallen on deaf ears also[:(]

I personally think that the developers at Graviteam have absolutely no interest in ever covering a game where American forces are involved.Hopefully I'm mistaken but the evidence thus far leads me to this conclusion.

Understandably,they are a small team that specializes on the the Russian front and there is plenty of Operation and battle content there to keep them busy for quite sometime into the future.

I had hopes of complety leaving the CM series and only play Graviteams products for this type of game,but without some American units to command in APOS it looks like I will have to continue with the CM series for that level of satisfaction.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: Dane49
Another idea I had was for the developers to create an American 1943-45 force mod package for sale to be included into the order of battle for use in the quick battles in APOS to where you can use them to battle either the Russians or the Germans.But,alas!This idea has fallen on deaf ears also[:(]

This would be very interesting. I have just finished reading the book below. You may want to give it a look.

http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Moves-Gam ... ning+moves

Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

What I think would be interesting and fun for this game,though highly hypothetical,but the Russian community would probably enjoy it also.

Is maybe have a map that depicts an American small town in the foot hills of either Vermont or New Hampshire in a sort of Currier and Ives winter setting in the late 40s early 50s and have the Russians and American forces battle over it.

Complete fantasy,but hey.That's what war games are.

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”