Visit to Oosterbeek / 17th September 2012

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

KenchiSulla

Visit to Oosterbeek / 17th September 2012

Post by KenchiSulla »

Last monday I visited Oosterbeek, visited the Airborne Museum in hotel Hartenstein (recently renovated and adjusted. It is now fully accessible for people with a handicap and the by now very old veterans of the battle who still visit!) , did the perimiter walk (lower Oosterbeek) and visited the Cemetery about a mile east of the station (northern end of the perimiter).

First picture, the monument north of Hartenstein:

Attachments
Monument_naald_2.jpg
Monument_naald_2.jpg (626.26 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
KenchiSulla

RE: Visit to Oosterbeek / 17th September 2012

Post by KenchiSulla »

The inscription near this monument:

Attachments
Monument_naald_1.jpg
Monument_naald_1.jpg (913.69 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

People still fly the Pegasus flag in the september month! Not an isolated case, about 50% of the houses in Oosterbeek have one..

Attachments
Pegasus_flag.jpg
Pegasus_flag.jpg (911.59 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

A text (presented by the veterans to the people of Oosterbeek in 1994) that moved me..

Attachments
Monument_Hartenstein.jpg
Monument_Hartenstein.jpg (901.38 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

The old church from where the Lonsdale force (remnants of 1st Para brigade) made sure there was still contact with the Rhine river - souteastern part of the Perimiter.

Next to this church Kate ter Horst took care of many allied wounded and dying..

Attachments
Old_church.jpg
Old_church.jpg (740.4 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

What I believe to be the church tower of Driel, viewed from the southern end of the perim. just before the "uiterwaarde (polder)" starts..

Attachments
Driel_churchtower.jpg
Driel_churchtower.jpg (653.7 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

The rebuild RR bridge, viewed from the eastern part of the perim.

Attachments
RR_bridge_eastper.jpg
RR_bridge_eastper.jpg (489.77 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

In the distance you can see a red traffic light. That light marks the "Utrechtseweg / stationsweg" crossing. It was the eastern end of the Perim. On both sides of the Utrechtseweg there were two aid stations (hotel Schoonoord and hotel ...)

Position I took the picture from is near the Hartenstein hotel. It shows how narrow the pocket really was...

Attachments
Hartenstei..astperim.jpg
Hartenstei..astperim.jpg (877.79 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Shows my position relative to Hartenstein when taking the previous picture..

Attachments
Hartenstein.jpg
Hartenstein.jpg (904.51 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Next pictures don't need any explanation. Not all casualties are buried here. About 130 1st division members were never found...

Attachments
Cemetery_1.jpg
Cemetery_1.jpg (575.77 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Two

Attachments
Cemetery_2.jpg
Cemetery_2.jpg (570.21 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Three

Attachments
Cemetery_3.jpg
Cemetery_3.jpg (838.74 KiB) Viewed 403 times
AKA Cannonfodder

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

That is all I have. You can imagine it must have been hell from 21st of september till the 25th (night of the escape across the rhine). The germans did not assault but just lobbed shells into the pocket. Snipers infiltrated and there is
one account I do not want to keep from you (translated from dutch from a copy of "Arnhem by Martin Middlebrook".

Pvt Joe Roberts

"I was hiding in my trench waiting for the shelling to stop when I got the fright of my life. Above me was a German sniper. He looked down at me but his arm was hanging and he was bleeding terribly. I took my rifle and aimed but he looked at me in such a way that I couldn't pull the trigger.

He pointed at his shoulder as if he was looking for aid. I pointed in to the direction of the aid station with my rifle en he continued to walk in that direction. He was hit by one of his own shells while hiding in a tree..."

AKA Cannonfodder

Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks Cannonfodder. Great pictures. I must visit again, the entire battlefield. It's not far up the road from here, but never get the time. Thanks again for posting.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Thanks for the picture. Brought back memories of my 2008 visit to the area. I gug up this snap of the memorial at the sight of the 82nd Div crossing of the Waal R. What really impressed me was the fact that we arrived there in October and these were obviously fresh flowers put there that day.

Attachments
Nijmegenmemorial.jpg
Nijmegenmemorial.jpg (966.01 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Return to “Command Ops Series”