Its Happening

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JeanAllTrekkie

Its Happening

Post by JeanAllTrekkie »

Im really psyched. I got my prediction right on the mark (not to sound full of myself). More and more Developers are making strategy boardgames for iPad.

One of the first was Matrix / Slitherine. Next was Battlefront... now were getting:

- Battle of The Bulge (from Shenandoah Studios)

- Hearts of Iron (The Mobile Game) (From Paradox Interactive)

- Civil War 1863 (From Hunted Cow Studios)

and many more.

What are you guys most excited for?

Me I cant wait for Hearts of Iron!

doomtrader

RE: Its Happening

Post by doomtrader »

None of those, as I have got Android device.
Anyway looking at the HoI interface it seems to be even more dumbed down. I'm not saying the game will be bad, but I'm afraid it will need a lot of patching as it seems to be made on the HoI2 engine.
Josh

Post by Josh »

War games for an iPad? That's a big no no for me, maybe a casual side scroller like Limbo (check it out on Steam) would be fun, heck maybe even a beer and pretzel wargame like Panzer Corps. But *not* something like HoI... at least for me that is. 24-27 inch or bigger is the screen I use/need for my wargames, oh and a mouse too [:)] 
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Do you really think these games are going to be any good? The games will be 'lite' and lacking any depth. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is ruining our hobby. Dumb down the games for the new generation of 'dumbed down' customers.
Scott Parrino

Post by Scott Parrino »

I think the opposite, making wargames accessible to those with portable devices is a great way to get them started towards the hobby itself. 'Lite' versions may not appeal to those who are used to the full versions of the parent games, but if the developers can pull off a full version (such as our Battle Academy) and done well, it works out well. Some games may be too complicated for the iPad/Tablets for sure, but lets not worry that it'll ruin the hobby, strategy games will always be primarily associated with board/PC.
Scott Parrino
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook!
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I wonder how many of you who disapprove the current trend of porting games to tablets actually owns an iPad. If so I could disperse your concerns by directing you to some really fine old-school-style titles which never will make it to PC, because they're considered too hardcore for the mainstream crowd.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

A wargame is best played around a table with human opponents.

The next best is on a PC with a large screen so you can get a lot of real estate on the screen.

If you are travelling, a PC is not possible so a portable device will have to do.

I have a Samsung 10" Netbook. I have installed Combat Command Matrix Edition. Great netbook! Great game!

british exil

Post by british exil »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

A wargame is best played around a table with human opponents.

The next best is on a PC with a large screen so you can get a lot of real estate on the screen.

If you are travelling, a PC is not possible so a portable device will have to do.

I have a Samsung 10" Netbook. I have installed Combat Command Matrix Edition. Great netbook! Great game!

I think when the first games appeared on the pc scene, the board game players would have thought similar to those who feel the tablet is not the right platform for such a game.

I'm only too glad that I can play on a pc, none of my friends play the strategy games, either on pc or as board game. So who can I play with? PC's have made it possible for me to enjoy such games, as I can play either against the AI or PBEM.

We have an IPad at home, mostly used by my GF as I prefer a desktop and a bit larger screen.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Somewhat analagous to consoles don't you think ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I wonder how many of you who disapprove the current trend of porting games to tablets actually owns an iPad.

Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Wargames on portable devices may just mean that we see wargames on the PC in the future.

If companies can keep themselves financially afloat making portable games or use them to supplement their income. That may just mean that their companies stick around to keep providing computer games as well.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Wargames on portable devices may just mean that we see wargames on the PC in the future.

If companies can keep themselves financially afloat making portable games or use them to supplement their income. That may just mean that their companies stick around to keep providing computer games as well.

+1
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

I guess I just don't understand why war-gaming on a tablet is such a bad thing. I have a number of war-games for my Ipad, and some of them are surprisingly good, and deep. I don't always have the time to devote to a game like WITP. Sometimes, after a 14 hour work day, playing a tablet game is as good as it gets. Also, it's far easier to bring a tablet along when you travel. Not only is it easier to use on long flights,;I can also read books and watch movies - which I never seem to do. The thing is very good at simulating board games in particular.

Tablets are successful not because society is becoming progressively more idiotic...I think we can all agree that is the case. I think it has more to do with the fact that the pace of life today is so fast that finding the time to dive into an epic style game is difficult. I fought the purchase of an Ipad for years. I finally broke down and got one to replace my old, and hefty, Franklin Planner. Best thing I ever did.

MJ
Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: JeanAllTrekkie
Me I cant wait for Hearts of Iron!

I can. Indefinitely.

Aside from that, though, nothing against wargames or indeed any games on tablets, but it's just not a format I like playing games on very much. Same with PDA/smartphone or netbook, come to that. I'd rather just read a good book on the Kindle.

Return to “General Discussion”